Arkansas

Holtontulsa

Even on this team, there ARE elements to the game of basketball that matter as much (if not more) than scoring: rebounding and defense to name just a couple.

In other words, if we can find a player on this team who will really defend and rebound, there are plenty of scoring options available on the roster to put on the floor at the same time.

To suggest that someone, especially a post player, should "score more" simply to justify their minutes, is at best short-sighted, and at worst downright blind.

No surprise here but I disagree with you JJONES. The offensive game plan (right or wrong) is to get the ball to the guards and/or Kevi specifically. If you want more post production, that probably needs to be included as part of the offensive game plan/practices. If the posts are going to be used for setting screens and kicking the ball out to the 3-point line, then it is no surprise that the inside game doesn't have strong offensive stats. From the years I have been watching, Finkbeiner is a strong guard game plan strategy.

I am thrilled to see some of the production from the bench. We have needed that for a long time. Therefore, the game last Tuesday was quite a pleasant surprise to see everyone get it in and everyone score. However, back to your stats, some of the girls have such limited playing time that you can't really include that in the sample set until there is adequate data.

Also, as Old Titan mentioned, the stats are just part of the story, not the whole story. Janae was one of the best that I recall that did so much more than what would typically show on stats. There is defense, tipping rebounds, causing pressure, clogging lanes, setting screens, etc - those things are typically thankless and are not necessarily seen in "stats"; however, they can change the outcome of a play or the game.

As for Dominique, since mid-last year, I think she has become more aggressive and that is probably why she is earning more minutes, which I would expect. Granted, I would like to see more points out of her, but if that isn't in the game plan, then you aren't going to see much of an improvement unless there is an obvious mismatch.

I'm a "defense first" guy.

Any points a rebounding, defensive post player scores are gravy.

When this team loses games, it's typically not because of offensive production (TU game being an exception).

It's because we don't rebound or defend the lane.

Give me someone who will do that, a Janae Volker or Claudia Louis type, and I don't care if they score a point in 40 minutes of floor time.

Yemi Ogunye was just such a player for the men's team a couple years ago - he RARELY scored, but was so valuable on defense that they hardly took him off the court. He held the top scorers of most teams to nearly NO SCORE - a NET value of 15-20 pts. per game.

A net value of 15-20 points per game??? Do you have stats to back that up? Everything I am posting has statistical proof.... You can't say that what he did on the defensive end of the court was worth 15-20 points per game, there is no way to calculate that! Yemi was a great player and his defensive stats showed that. What I am saying and what I am posting has statistical proof behind it

My point wasn't to get into a back-and-forth about Yemi or stats. My point was that Yemi's value was his defense, not his offense.

I'm reminded of our elected officials in Washington who think the best way to deal with the federal deficit is by spending even more money, instead of cutting spending.

We have enough scorers on the floor - we need defense, especially against the better teams who can also score themselves.

This isn't anything new. So why are you seemingly surprised by it? Kevi has 44% or almost half of the FG attempts. Then it is about half that for Jordan and Georgia; and the remaining starters are attempting about half of that.

Really OT we have enough offense on the floor? 2 of our starters aren't even averaging 6 points a game????

Yes.

Look, it's pretty obvious I'm wasting my time arguing with you - I get the distinct feeling you do not appreciate the importance of defense and rebounding in basketball.

If I was coaching a team, I would love to play YOUR team - we would try to take you guys out of your comfort zone on offense, crash the boards, score off turnovers by our defense, and leave you scratching your head as to what just hit you.

Just like Tulsa did to our girls the other night, and what I'm afraid Arkansas will try to do to us Saturday.

I hope we're ready for it.

Perhaps the coaching staff should consider getting others more involved in the offense instead of worrying about kevi getting her 30 points...she came back in the game last Saturday with about 4 minutes left, shot the ball 4 consecutive time down the floor to get her points and then hit the bench again..don't think that was HER idea. I guess it is 'to heck with team chemistry', just pad the stats!

This Arkansas team is on a 7-game winning streak. They haven't yet broke 70 pts in a game; averaging 60 ppg. Looks like they can rebound and average 3 blocks per game.

The good news about the offensive strategy is that the entire team seems to have bought in. There doesnt appear to be a jealousy factor about Kevi being the focus.

No surprise here but I disagree with you JJONES. The offensive game plan (right or wrong) is to get the ball to the guards and/or Kevi specifically. If you want more post production, that probably needs to be included as part of the offensive game plan/practices. If the posts are going to be used for setting screens and kicking the ball out to the 3-point line, then it is no surprise that the inside game doesn't have strong offensive stats. From the years I have been watching, Finkbeiner is a strong guard game plan strategy.

I am thrilled to see some of the production from the bench. We have needed that for a long time. Therefore, the game last Tuesday was quite a pleasant surprise to see everyone get it in and everyone score. However, back to your stats, some of the girls have such limited playing time that you can't really include that in the sample set until there is adequate data.

Also, as Old Titan mentioned, the stats are just part of the story, not the whole story. Janae was one of the best that I recall that did so much more than what would typically show on stats. There is defense, tipping rebounds, causing pressure, clogging lanes, setting screens, etc - those things are typically thankless and are not necessarily seen in "stats"; however, they can change the outcome of a play or the game.

As for Dominique, since mid-last year, I think she has become more aggressive and that is probably why she is earning more minutes, which I would expect. Granted, I would like to see more points out of her, but if that isn't in the game plan, then you aren't going to see much of an improvement unless there is an obvious mismatch.

Seriously? Janae was one of the most predictable players we have ever had!!! She was a lot like Elisha Turek, she never really got any better. Shutting Janae down should have been easy for any opponent. Force her to her right and she was finished. She had no right hand, couldn't/wouldn't/didn't develop one in four years. She couldn't hardly do a right hand layup, she would even finish layups on the right side with her left hand. Janae was physical and had her moments but she is no Kevi Luper, No Jordan Pyle or no Jaci Bigham, heck she is no Savanna Buck either.. Janae is a great person but underachieved tremendously on the court at ORU