Summit League Scores

ORUalum

I read somewhere it had to do with all the activity in Indy with the Super Bowl this weekend.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUalum

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

Oakland was up 41-36 at the half, but couldn't finish. Oakland fans are understandably frustrated. IUPUI's Christian Siakam had a game-high 23 points, and aparently took it to the Oakland post men.

I still think Oakland is the most dangerous team in the league - because of their inconsistancy. You never know whether they're going to play like the did at Mabee or against SDSU, or lose to a bottom-dweller. I think they're fully capable of having another 2005 ending, although I'm not sure that they have as many potential weapons as they had that year.

After two years of record-making success, this has got be driving both fans and coaches crazy. It also is a classic demonstration of what I've said for a long time about mid-major programs - it just takes one or two great players to put the team on top of the heap - but it's extremely hard to stay there once they're gone.

I read somewhere it had to do with all the activity in Indy with the Super Bowl this weekend.

thanks. it seems odd that they can play at home on saturday, but not on thursday.

Because they keep losing their best players to schools like ORU?..... ;-)

good point Eagleman. i've wondered the same thing in the past about WIU. they should be able to compete year in and year out in the summit with the chicago metro leftovers.

good point Eagleman. i've wondered the same thing in the past about WIU. they should be able to compete year in and year out in the summit with the chicago metro leftovers.

Unlike UMKC which is a city school, WIU is an eternity away from the city, as well as the suburbs, in terms of both time and culture.

how is UMKC this bad in a basketball city like KC?

Because their coach is an idiot.

...I'm sorry - did I say that out loud?

What I meant to say is, he's a "moron". :hai:

Western Illinois is one of the hardest, if not THE hardest, jobs in The Summit. Macomb isn't near anything. Chicago is four hours away, St. Louis almost three. The campus and town are virtually in the middle of nowhere, a barren wasteland in the winter. The facility is really bad, too. Plus there are a lot of D-I schools in Illinois and everyone in the Midwest recruits Chicago and St. Louis.

I've often thought that the only way to be successful there is to build toward a 1-2 year window every five years with corn-fed farm boys, hard-nosed fundametal players, mixed with an occasional athlete or two. But that's hard to do. WIU is a hard sell to basketball players.

The UMKC job comes down to who's running the program... they should be a consistent winner every year.

Molanari at Western Illinois is a good coach. He formerly was at Bradley and (I think) led them to an NCAA berth. It is just a hard place to attract players. They have a decent (and dangerous) squad this year with Ceola Clark and the freshman from Edmond, OK. The Leathernecks can play defense and slow the game down enough to give themselves a chance. They took Oakland to double overtime this Saturday before losing. I am glad we have them on Saturday (homecoming) as they will be traveling in from Cedar City.

ORU should win both games this week by double digits....no excuses...it's time to step up and put these mediocre (yes, TheEagleman is being kind) out of their misery early.....we should run the table and be 26-5 as we enter the Summit League tournament as the #1 seed.....but yeah.....one at a time.....one at a time..... :nerd:

IPFW lost to Chicago State (remember them?) Tuesday evening. Bad loss by the Mastadons; it will negatively impact the conference's RPI. Why is IPFW playing Chicago State - especially this late in the season?

Ouch....that's a baaaaad loss for IPFW....they stink.....we should smoke them next week...... :nerd:

Conference standings after last night. Can you believe that the team that took us to OT last night and came very close to beating AT MABEE CENTER us is in A FOUR WAY TIE for last place? They're fighting tooth and nail to even make the conference tournament. Amazing.

Oral Roberts		14-1	 22-5											

South Dakota State	11-3	 19-7										  

North Dakota State	 8-6	 15-9											

Southern Utah		 8-7	 13-12											

Western Illinois	 7-7	 13-10											

Oakland			 7-7	 3-13											

IPFW		 	 4-10	 10-14											

South Dakota	 	 4-10	 9-14											

IUPUI			4-10	 10-16											

UMKC			 4-10	 10-16

It's almost counter-intuitive, but it seems to me that this team, with a couple of exceptions both ways, plays their best ball on the road.

The losses by SDSU and NDSU will hurt our RPI. I do not want to see IUPUI finish 8th.

But the losses are to teams that we've also beaten, so that helps THEIR RPI, and positively influences ours.

RPI is not as intuitive as people think. Really, only the computer knows FOR SURE what's going on with RPI. I think that once we hit conference play, if we've played two teams, one has to win and one has to lose, and I think it's a wash when it comes to our own RPI.

I THINK.

Not only that, but the further into the season you go, the less significance there is to each individual game, due to the total number of games entered in to the calculations.

All I know for sure is that yesterday we were #45, today we're #46, and that we've been bouncing around the mid- 40s for the past couple weeks. Nothing - not our loss at SDSU, or our win at NDSU or last night - seems to bump us up or down more than a spot or two.