ORU on National TV

Guest Blevins

Rob Marshall or Bob Brooks may be able to help.... Can't think of the last time we were on national tv. Don't think we were when Self was here (Arkansas/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State games). Would maybe have to go back to the 1970's when Anthony Roberts and Richard Fuqua were on campus....

When on campus, I went to ALL the games (actually, only one I missed was first date with my wife) so it's hard to remember. I do recall ORU's blown trip to the Final Four in 1974 being on national TV. Lost in OT to national power Kansas after losing a good lead in the last minutes. Couldn't pull back the run and gun boys.

Rob Marshall or Bob Brooks may be able to help....

Talked to B-Squared tonight - he said the last REGULAR SEASON game that he is positive was shown coast-to-coast on a truly national network was in 1974, when ORU and Richard Fuqua hosted Southwest Louisiana and Dwight Lamar, when those two were 1-2 top scorers in the country. The game was televised nationally on NBC on a weekend afternoon.

He also remembered two games that were broadcast to at least part of the country on cable - an early '80's home contest against Ray Meyer's Depaul team that had Mark Aquirre and Terry Cummings on it, and a Saturday afternoon game against Xavier in Cincy back during the Midwesten City Conference days in the early '80's. Both games were played at a time when ESPN and other fledgling cable networks were not available to near as many homes as they are now...

Yep. We played Penn in about 1975 and it was on TV. Not sure if nationally broadcast, but they didn't have as many games on back in those days so it might have been. Penn had a player from Tulsa Central High (6' 10" Center Henry Johnson). It was a big game with a big crowd. Unfortunately the Titans lost.

Yep. We played Penn in about 1975 and it was on TV. Not sure if nationally broadcast, but they didn't have as many games on back in those days so it might have been. Penn had a player from Tulsa Central High (6' 10" Center Henry Johnson). It was a big game with a big crowd. Unfortunately the Titans lost.

T-Bone?!? The only T-Bone I know was the pride of Cleveland, Tennessee and played his college ball for the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State in my old home town of Murfreesboro!! Is that you, T?

As I mentioned to Blevins this morning, does anyone else remember the televised game at Kansas in '92-'93, the last season of Ken Trickey's second stint at the school? The final score was 140-72! I remember it was a night game, and while watching it thinking to myself, "what an awful game for ORU to have televised". Don't remember for sure if it was a national telecast, but I kind of think it was. That team ended up 5-22, and gave up more than 100 points in 14 games, including 6 of their last 7! That was when ORU was playing a brutal independent schedule, trying to re-qualify for D-1 from NAIA status. Seems a lot longer ago than 13 years - amazing how far we've come since then, isn't it?

Nope. Just chose a name from the old Titans. He was from Tennessee.. power forward whom I believe held the career blocked shot record at ORU until Kendrick passed it a few years ago. Do you remember him?

Old Titan,

Maybe my guy is the younger brother of your guy.

Terry "T-Bone" Scott is who I thought you were. He was an assistant coach at ORU for Ken Hayes and Ken Trickey in the 80's and 90's. He has been the head basketball coach at Central High School in Tulsa for at least 10 years. His younger brother, Alvin, is the guy you are thinking of who played on the same teams as Anthony Roberts in the 70's. Alvin and Anthony were kind of like Scotty Pippen and Michael Jordan - "Woosie" got all the points, and Alvin did all the dirty work, and as you said, he set the school record for blocked shots that Kendrick broke. Alvin played several seasons in the NBA for the Phoenix Suns, and he still lives in Arizona.

I did not know Terry was the original TBone. I guess Alvin somehow inherited the nickname as that is how we knew him during his playing days as a Titan. Woosie got the points but Tbone took care of the boards and the swats. Sorry I am not your guy, but took the moniker in honor of a great Titan of the past.

mark acres (81-85) passed scott in his jr year for the career shot blocks lead moore then passed acres

mark acres (81-85) passed scott in his jr year for the career shot blocks lead moore then passed acres

The thing that may have had some people, including myself, confused, jmg1984, was that Kendrick broke Alvin Scott's single season record. If I'm not mistaken the record was broken the night of the Hall Of Fame inductions, and Alvin Scott was there that night for his induction, and had the added pleasure of seeing his record broken. Anybody else remember that?

kendrick has the top 2 spots on the indiv season charts with his jr year leading the list with 103

Going back to the original topic, do ESPN Plus games count? I'm pretty sure that last year's game at Indiana was on that, and I know the previous year's game at Minnesota was. I was sitting at home in FL that year on break and was getting ready to listen on the net, when my little sister told me that ORU was on TV, and sure enough, they were playing on CSS, who was tapping into ESPN Plus' feed. It was cool to see an ORU game on TV in Florida against a non-regional opponent.