Southland Basketball Facilities

brandon_howard

haha..I need to find it the photo of the Hecklers from that game that the Daily Sentinel too. It was classic.

Rev, Lamar owns the Montagne Center and those pictures are old because the Montagne Center floor looks alot better now. I was never a fan of the Red arcs. The floor was refinished and named after Billy Tubbs so it looks sweet.

Rev, Lamar owns the Montagne Center and those pictures are old because the Montagne Center floor looks alot better now. I was never a fan of the Red arcs. The floor was refinished and named after Billy Tubbs so it looks sweet.

Do you have a newer photo? All I can find have the red arcs

581_fa70ad296a6a9d59e57be334dddd48d68ba1f7a6.jpg

That's the new floor just before they put Billy Tubbs name on it. IT looks very good with Tubbs name. I'll post a photo later this season when I make it down to Beaumont for a game.

With those "big" average attendence numbers listed above....looks like ORU will probably have the top attendence in the league if we continue to average around 4000.....maybe bringing in powerhouses like SFA, Lamar and SHSU will bump that number closer to 4500?..... |(

Another shot of UCA's Farris Center - from a women's game against UAB in the WBI last season.

188814_1904337976286_1476866799_2068917_4918400_n.jpg

The wooden bleachers at the far end under/behind the video board have been removed and will be replaced in the next few weeks with around eight rows of chairback seats on either end, plus a few rows on the left side in front of the wall. That'll put a lot more folks closer to the action and close it in pretty good, hopefully creating a pretty intimate (and rowdy) environment where you don't have to get just a ton of folks in there to have a good atmosphere. Having an improved men's team will also help out with that quite a bit.

It's still a middle-of-the-road facility, but has a chance to be one of the better environments in the league (which isn't necessarily saying a ton).

Corpus plays at a really nice place, Lamar's is also pretty good -- those two are a good bit ahead of the rest of the league. Sam Houston's isn't bad (though it does seem a little dark and cavernous). McNeese is big and dirty. The building looks like a giant grain silo, and it hosts rodeos - which is pretty easy to tell once you're inside. Not a very good atmosphere in there at all in my experience, though they did have a decently vocal crowd this past year when both their teams were winning the conference title.

Stephen F. Austin's place isn't just a whole lot to look at, but the seats are packed in there pretty good so it's probably a decent place to watch a game. Southeastern Louisiana's building isn't bad, but it looks ugly because of the color scheme of the seats. It's also way too big. Northwestern State is an old hangar and nothing to write home about. Nicholls is just dull and bad and comes complete with trough urinals and what might be asbestos.

I'd say the Mabee Center is definitely one of the top arenas in the league, probably put it just below the Montagne Center at Lamar.

Definitely looking forward to having you guys in the league. For one, it's our shortest trip, and also it brings a legitimate basketball program that should help elevate the league's profile some and hopefully raise the bar a little as far as fan interest in basketball goes.

Sam Houston and SFA have both had some really solid teams in recent years, Northwestern State has had its moments, McNeese looks like it's on the upswing, Lamar always has a chance to be good and we'll see what Pat Knight can get done there, and the Bears are also (hopefully) on their way up under Corliss Williamson. His first team wasn't very good - though they did almost steal one at an also-not-very-good Oklahoma - but this year's version has a lot more height/length/athleticism, which is pretty important for any team but especially one wanting to press all over the place. It's a lot more effective when you don't have three guys 6'2" or shorter on the floor at the same time.

Don't really know much about what they've got going at Corpus, Southeastern and Nicholls. But on the whole, I'd say the league has a chance to be improved this year, and then even more so next year when you guys join in.

So anyhow, a belated welcome to the league. Looking forward to getting the series going.