Southland Basketball Facilities

brandon_howard

Anybody have some insight on the quality of basketball facilities in the Southland compared to Summit? Mabee Center still going to be the nicest facility? With the money UCA spent on their crazy looking football turf, I'd have to think their basketball facility is decent.

The UCA basketball arena is ok. It's bigger than just about any in the Summit. It's a little older/old school. But, not bad.

Don't know about the rest. But, they can't be any worse than the Summit League...

LU's is the largest (sans ORU) and everything but the scoreboard is fairly nice. The court was just refinished and named after Billy Tubbs. The facility was built in 1984 and everything has held up well but the scoreboard desperately needs to go!

Lamar has the top facility with the Montagne Center..CA does Lamar actually own that facility or is it through the City of Beaumont?

SFA has probably the second nicest after Lamar. Our William R Johnson Coliseum holds about 7,200 with great sight lines no matter where you sit. They actually moved our volleyball out of the WRJ so the court will look great without the volleyball lines on it.

Southland Basketball Facilities. Most look very nice on their websites. A couple not so nice.

Lamar - holds 10,000. Average attendance 3,176 last year

Texas A&M CC - holds 8,400. Average attendance 1,499

McNeese St - holds 8,000. Average attendance 1,314 last year

Southeastern LA - holds 7,500. Average attendance 860 last year

Texas State - holds 7,200. Average attendance 2,084 last year

Stephen F Austin - holds 7,000+ Average attendance 2,290 last year

Texas Arlington - holds 7,000, Average attendance 811 last year

Sam Houston St - holds 6,110. Average attendance 1,434 last year

Central Arkansas - holds 5,500. Average attendance 1,348 last year

UTSA - holds 4,080. Average attendance 1,560 last year

Nichols St - holds 3,800. Average attendance 947 last year

Northwestern St LA - holds 3,400. Average attendance 1,340 last year

Lamar's Montagne Center

montagne-center.jpg

SFA's William R Johnson Coliseum

3252120622_f881e76ab2.jpg

Sam Houston's Bernard G Johnson Coliseum

BGEREECQNVQIVPA.20110114034715.jpg

..and I can't find a good photo of SELA's..but they play at the University Center.

I think ORU, Lamar, and SFA have the top arenas. I will have a slightly different opinion maybe, but I've been to the majority of the SLC arenas and SFA has the best as far as watching the game. It has that old school, dark lighting to it. The one or two times that it's actually been full, it's a legit bball environment.

The rest of the SLC is just ok to me, some of them being bad. You might think that the Sam Houston arena looks good from the pic above, but you're only getting one angle and you're not getting the other side and this awful eye sore.

YJCNQJEENHWCQFN.20071115134027.jpg

YouTube video of an SFA bball game where it was actually full*.

*It's rarely ever like this unfortunately though.

Here is a photo of us playing Northwestern State a couple of years ago in the Montagne Center. It was about 7,500 full (if I'm remembering correctly). We played Texas Tech (and won in front of 8,500), and it was loud. I hope some of you get the chance to make it down to the ORU-LU games. It really is a nice arena and a good trip to make. As we haven't had football but for the last two years since '89, basketball (along with our baseball's continued success) was always our bread and butter. Welcome to the SLC and good luck!

montagnecenter.jpg

thanks PO for getting the true view of the Sam arena. I was just using the first ones I found.

TBones..that's a great photo as well.