Exhibition game tonight

oruvoice

Their goal last year and this year is the same........ to score 100 points in each game and let the starters get their averages! They will continue to put up points and play starters until this happens!

We aren't trying to make friends with our opponents, we don't care how much crap people talk about us, we play to win and to win big... Like they say.... "Go Big or Go Home"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Holtontulsa

• oruvoice

• ORUalum

Well, JJ.....TheEagleman understands the philosophy but can't say that I agree with it.....here's a possible scenerio later this season.....so you are up vs. IPFW by 85-55 with 4:30 left and the starters are still on the court..."trying to get to 100 pts and get their individual averages".....Kevi Luper trips over an opponent's sneaker (IPFW is also none too happy that ORU is running up the score)...the nation's leading scorer breaks her ankle and is out for the season......similar injuries could occur to any key ORU player during "garbage time minutes" while you guys are trying to reach the goals stated above.....Injuries are part of the game and can happen at any time but those Injuries occuring when the game is already well in hand are inexcusable.....TheEagleman always thought the goal for ORU is just to win as many games as possible, win the Summit League and make the NCAA Tournament???.....what does it matter if you win by 5 or 25?......also, who cares about individual stats?.....I would be shocked if Coach Finkbeiner agreed with the "goals" listed above.....if he does, he shouldn't be coaching at the D-1 level.... :!:

Eagleman,

why would you be shocked if one of the team goals is to score 100 points each outing? Why is that so hard to believe? Do you realize for the past two years we have led the nation in team scoring? I wouldn't at all expect you to understand, especially after making such an uneducated comment about coach Fink coaching at the D1 level!

If you don't like the approach we take then you certainly do not have to watch! Nobody is making you do so! I will tell you this. The AP voters and Coaches Poll voters don't have a clue who ORU is and they won't know who we are until we continue to demolish our opponents. Do you think if we are beating Wisconsin by 25 with 5 min left we should let up, or Arkansas for that fact??? Don't think so buddy. Injuries are a part of the game, they can happen at any time and I don't think you pull players out to protect them from injury, players play and coaches coach. I mean saying you should pull a player with 5 minutes left would be like Fink telling Misti to finish coaching the game with 5 minutes left while he heads to the locker room to work on his post game presser!!!!

JJ,

The guy has over 5,400 posts. I suspect he has some "understanding" of ORU ball. While I do think we are going to have to crush our opponents to get any AP respect, our lower RPI is going to weigh heavily against us in the voting. Points scored gets attention, but you have to have wins against quality programs and the Summit Conference limits those opportunities.

With a deep bench, I think Coach Fink has the ability to get those points without risking a needless injury to a key contributer late in a game when we are up by a ton. We'll see -there's a lot of ball to be played.

You're right about one thing - I too have heard that the goal is to score 100 per game. That should make it a fun season to watch.

I rest my case...... |( |( |(:* :* :*

Eagleman,

Did you read the portion of "ORU Fans" post where he said he too had heard the goal was to score 100+ points per game? hmmmm. I mean I guess it must be true. I would be happy to provide you with coach finks number so you can call him and tell him he shouldn't be coaching at the D1 level if you would like! Regardless of whether or not you like what he does, he is going to play his style and make other teams play his style in order to keep up. These girls are well conditioned and can play 40+ minutes. Don't be surprised if the girls are full court trapping late in the game also.

Eagleman, if you would like to cheer for someone who has no chance of running the score up on anyone, there is this college in Macomb, IL called Western Illinois, I hear they are in need of fans, we would be happy to loan you out for a while!

Eagleman,

why would you be shocked if one of the team goals is to score 100 points each outing? Why is that so hard to believe? Do you realize for the past two years we have led the nation in team scoring? I wouldn't at all expect you to understand, especially after making such an uneducated comment about coach Fink coaching at the D1 level!

If you don't like the approach we take then you certainly do not have to watch! Nobody is making you do so! I will tell you this. The AP voters and Coaches Poll voters don't have a clue who ORU is and they won't know who we are until we continue to demolish our opponents. Do you think if we are beating Wisconsin by 25 with 5 min left we should let up, or Arkansas for that fact??? Don't think so buddy. Injuries are a part of the game, they can happen at any time and I don't think you pull players out to protect them from injury, players play and coaches coach. I mean saying you should pull a player with 5 minutes left would be like Fink telling Misti to finish coaching the game with 5 minutes left while he heads to the locker room to work on his post game presser!!!!

"Lighten up, Francis."

I tell ya what: next time we're beating a Wisconsin/Arkansas/etc. by 25 with 5 minutes to go, I'll let you know how we should handle it.

But I can PROMISE you this: beating any BCS team on our schedule by ONE POINT will gain us more notoriety and respect nationally than any number of blowouts over Summit League or non-D1 competition.

It ain't about HOW you're beatin' 'em - it's just about beatin' 'em.

I can't believe I am going to say this.....but I actually agree with the two old farts.

And JJONES - are you also a jerk in real life or just play one on this board?

I see both sides.

And honestly, if this is the worst thing we have to 'argue' about, I'd say we are doing alright. Let's enjoy what will be a GREAT women's season and all have a group hug!

oruvoice...peacemaker???? i agree let's hug it out and cheer the team on to great season.

over/under 120 tonight vs. UCO????

This is all getting rather humorous....so, JJ....do you tie your BF up once or twice a week and beat him?..... :nerd: ....because I am feeling a bit like that today.....Let me clarify....TheEagleman has no problem with the run and gun style by Coach Fink designed to score 100+ pts per game...not a good way to win games against big time opponents but we won't debate that....it was the comment about leaving all the starters in to reach their averages that I really meant to take issue with....from what I heard, the beatdown we gave WIU in the first round of the tournament last year was inexcusable.....there has to be some sportsmanship especially at ORU....So JJ, if Finkbeiner wants to run it up and down the court for 40 minutes....so be it...he won't beat many BCS teams playing that way....it's just when we are 20+ up in the last few minutes against an inferior opponent and the starters are still in the game....that's just plain wrong...and I do not believe that our Coach would set a goal of making sure all the starters got their numbers....I know Fink is a good coach and has done a great job....and I don't think he would agree with what you said previously about everybody staying in the game just to run up their stats.....if he does, then I have lost respect for him.....not sure how old you are but someday you will grow up and learn the importance of not rubbing an opponents' face in the dirt when they are down.....it ALWAYS comes back to haunt you......let's let it lie there.... :*

well, that could have been a case study in what has been wrong w/ORU basketball the last few years. UCO hits 17 treys and ORU holds on to win despite being up 14 or 15 pts w/4+ minutes to play. good to hear Jerry call out his guards in the postgame interview w/Geoff for horrible clock management the last few minutes...way too many quick shots. hopefully they learn from this.

ahhh eagleman...... Maybe when you live closer than 1500 miles and can spend a little more time around the program we can take you seriously!

And our defense today was AWFUL.... There was no rotation whatsoever..... Giving up 17 trey's is not accetpable... But once again, we are going to try and score 100 each game, can anyone outscore us? Kevi Luper with 42 points tonight...... WOW

Yes we can be outscored by a Division 2 team when we play like we did tonight. We so nearly lost tonight's game.

No Jordan Pyle tonight and she was definitely missed. Coach Finkbeiner took Kevi out when we had the lead with about 4 minutes left but then UCO went on a run so he had to sub her in at the end to help ensure the victory. When Kevi is out of the game she is missed both offensively and defensively. She does a lot on the defensive end disrupting passes and getting steals.

I'm glad to hear that he will emphasize slowing it down in this scenario in the future. Really glad we won. UCO decided to take almost any open 3-point shot and clearly they have a few good 3-point shooters. They made a lot of those shots because sometimes they were unguarded. It's early in the year so the defense isn't where it needs to be yet. While UCO had little post presence and was a little shorter on average than ORU (rebounding disadvantage), they played better than at least a couple of the D-1 teams we faced last year (Centenary and Central Arkansas come to mind).

I think Coach Finkbeiner mentioned that the new center from Hungary had only played in 5 practices so far this year due to injury and didn't play in the Evangel game, so this was her first significant game playing opportunity. She needs to work on understanding her role in post defense and how that fits with Jerry's defensive scheme.

Overall I thought several players looked more comfortable and confident than last year including Amber Carver and Christian Key. Also, Ieva Eida reminds me a little bit of Rachel Watman. Emma Gade looked like she understood her role offensively and defensively while she was out there. I think this team will have a lot of depth this year.

JJ...no further comment after last night's game.....you will never have a clue....and by the way....congrats on your 10 posts........... |(

And our defense today was AWFUL.... There was no rotation whatsoever..... Giving up 17 trey's is not accetpable... But once again, we are going to try and score 100 each game, can anyone outscore us? Kevi Luper with 42 points tonight...... WOW

Oakland did in the tounament last year. Big Time.