Exhibition game tonight

oruvoice

The ladies' first exhibition game is tonight. As excited as I am about the men's team this year, I am equally excited for the ladies'!

They are going to be really good!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Holtontulsa

• oruvoice

• ORUalum

So much for Kevi sitting this one out....she got in off the plane and scored 17 pts as ORU romped by 44 pts, 109-65 over Evangel......looks like we could be in for a big year and lots of scoring...... :clap:

I didn't think we played all that well and still won big. Everybody got to play last night - lots of minutes for the bench. Kevi only played fifteen minutes and had seventeen points - she's a scoring machine, and at the same time a pretty unselfish player. The story of the night was Dominique Allen - Dominique the Dominator. She had 28 points on 13 of 16 shooting, and pretty much scored at will. She (and Amber Carver) benefited greatly from being the tallest players on the court. Gave Amber a lot of opportunities for put-backs. The refs may have been a bit stingy calling over-the backs on ORU, but hey, it's exhibition, right?

I know Jerry likes a high score, but ORU scored twice on hapless Evangel at the end of the game with the shot clock off, with some of our starters still in. We already had scored over 100 - maybe dribbling it out would have been okay.

Otherwise, a really nice warm-up game for the ladies. Looking forward to seeing what this team can do. They've got a bench a mile long this season - no reason to ever run low on players, I wouldn't think!

watched a few minutes of the archived game on orugoldeneagles.com this morning. i thought the new court looked good. you had to feel bad for Evangel, they could not compete...so many turnovers.

from the box score the hungarian girl did not play. i guess she is hurt. i know coach fink expects her to contribute and maybe even start.

Jerry is on record as wanting to score as many points as possible every game.

May make headlines, but might not win many friends.

watched a few minutes of the archived game on orugoldeneagles.com this morning. i thought the new court looked good. you had to feel bad for Evangel, they could not compete...so many turnovers.

from the box score the hungarian girl did not play. i guess she is hurt. i know coach fink expects her to contribute and maybe even start.

I spoke this Jerry this AM - he said that three players, including the Hungarian player, didn't play due to various issues - I expect we'll see them at a later date.

Jerry is on record as wanting to score as many points as possible every game.

May make headlines, but might not win many friends.

I hear what you are saying, but Fink doesn't run up the score to hurt the other team. He is simply using EVERY moment of live game-time to tinker and play with combinations of players. He has always done this. It's not unusual for him to sub a starter back in, late in a game, with a big lead.

Either way, I don't have a problem with it. He has proven to be a VERY good coach and an even nicer guy. If he is up 40 and wants to "experiment" with a play or player, that's his prerogative. It isn't his job to hold down the final score...

I hear what you are saying, but Fink doesn't run up the score to hurt the other team. He is simply using EVERY moment of live game-time to tinker and play with combinations of players. He has always done this. It's not unusual for him to sub a starter back in, late in a game, with a big lead.

Either way, I don't have a problem with it. He has proven to be a VERY good coach and an even nicer guy. If he is up 40 and wants to "experiment" with a play or player, that's his prerogative. It isn't his job to hold down the final score...

would you feel the same way if ORU was on the other side of the blowout w/opposing starters in the game late? i don't think i would be as understanding if a coach killing ORU by 40 was still "experimenting."

I played a couple of sports at a fairly competitive level in my younger days, and if I thought someone was 'taking it easy' on me, I'd be more pissed than just getting my brains beat out.

But, I'm kinda weird and have suffered several head injuries...

I played a couple of sports at a fairly competitive level in my younger days, and if I thought someone was 'taking it easy' on me, I'd be more pissed than just getting my brains beat out.

But, I'm kinda weird and have suffered several head injuries...

that is a fair point. this is big boy girl basketball. not everyone gets a trophy at the end of the year. i would never question his character, all you have to look at is the missions trips he takes his teams on almost every year. however, i do think he puts a bigger target on the team's back by running up scores and not being the most popular guy in the Summit league .

All I know is that fans and media alike in Sioux Falls were turned off toward the end of last season's first-round Summit League Tournament game with Western Illinois, when ORU was up by something like 30 points or more late in the game, with Kevi Luper still on the floor and ORU still pressuring the ball.

Those same folks smirked - and even cheered - the next day when we got it handed to us by Oakland in the semi's.

Just sayin' - nobody likes a bully, even when it's nice guys and gals like Jerry and his team.

In response to Jerry running up the score in South Dakota last year! Priscila Cergol was our backup point guard and starting at that point due to Jaci's knee injury. Priscila had only played 3 games as starter with the other starters and Jerry needed her to get more time in with those girls!

Last time I checked the offensive purpose of basketball was to score, right? And the defensive purpose of basketball is to stop the other team from scoring, right? If you can't stop me from scoring that isn't my problem. Why should we shave points, give in, give up, slow down or anything like that? Why? Do you expect them to take a knee?

And as for Thursday night!!!! IT WAS AN EXHIBITION!!!!!!!!! If you look at the stat line, every girl got to play 10+ minutes. Starters Jordan Pyle was below her career avg in points, Amber Carver was above her career avg in points, Georgia Jones was below her career avg in points, Kevi Luper was below her career avg in points and Jaci Bigham was below her career avg in points..

The starters accounted for 53 of the 109 points, the bench accounted for 56.. Great bench production if you ask me.

15 points scored by 3 freshman

18 points scored by 2 sophmores

Obviously the freshman and sophomores are fighting for playing time and want to score and show their talents, which is perfectly normal!

So all in all, when your starters are all below the averages (excluding one) and the remainder of your team (your bench) is putting up production the way they are, the way coach Fink loves to see!!!! OPPONENTS BETTER FIGURE OUT A WAY TO STOP US!!!!!

There is no such thing as running up the score, just bad or mis-matched defense!!

Do not take my observations of how ORU's women's program might be perceived by opposing teams/fans/media/etc. as an indictment of our style of play.

And at the same time, do not be surprised when ORU's women's program doesn't win any popularity contests with those same opposing teams/fans/media/etc.

TheEagleman agrees with OT.....while I have no problem with our run and gun style of play....it's just good sportsmanship not to kick a man....er, girl when she's down.....once you are up by 30+ in the last 5 minutes...it's time to clear the bench and take the foot of the gas....our men's basketball coach never runs up the score and there have been games he could have won by 40 but didn't.....now. if the other team can't stop our subs.....well, that's another matter entirely..... :!:

This is an interesting discussion. When you are up by +30, you should clear the bench when under 3 minutes left. JJONES made a great point about Priscilla Cergol. She needed the playing time with some of the other starters on the floor. That was an unusual situation. But you risk a key player getting injured needlessly by playing them when the game is well out of reach. Also, some rest can help starters to be fresh for the next game.

On the flip side, Kevi Luper would not have set the NCAA record for highest scoring and most steals in a single year if she had not logged A LOT of minutes. My main concern is that the players learn how to play a slow down game in the last 3-4 minutes of a game when they are ahead by 12 or fewer points. Last year they lost 2 games in which they were ahead by about 10 points with less than 4 minutes to play because they kept taking shots early in the shot clock (and missing) and took defensive risks trying to get steals which led to quick and easy baskets for the other team. They played great for 37 minutes and then looked completely foolish by helping the other team win the game in the last 3 minutes by not changing their approach.

It is awesome to have a team that can score and defend well enough to have huge leads on a regular basis. This is not intended as a criticism for the coaching staff because I think overall they have done an amazing job. Just a little friendly advice.

Ask members of the 1973-73 ORU Men's team if they wish they had learned to play to play a more controlled slow down game which would have paid off in the Midwest regional final vs. Kansas.....if they had, ORU might have an NCAA Championship banner hanging from the Mabee Center rafters..... :nerd:

Like I've said elsewhere before, the issues with burning some clock in the final minutes of games is reminiscent of a spread-offense football team that, when it really needs to run out the clock or grind for a couple of yards on fourth down or in the "red zone", seems to struggle with simply running a dive play and making yards.

It helps to be multi-faceted, or at least, not just one-dimensional.