ORU to Hold Press Conference at 2:30 on Tuesday

ORUalum11

I've heard several reporters (mainly beat writers from Summit teams) say that we will dominate in basketball. I think that is rather presumptuous. What grounds are they making these statements on?

I don't know about "dominate"... I agree that is presumptuous.

Here are the 2010-2011 RPI for both Summit and Southland

We have an experienced and talented squad this year - but I can't see us 'dominating' the league. Our lack of depth could be a factor on nights where we have foul trouble, etc.

Getting a foothold in the Texas recruiting market is a nice benefit of this move. I also think that a large percentage of our students (and alumni) are from Texas - so the school also has an interest in getting media exposure in the Lone Star state.

Reports from a newscaster on Twitter saying we will join the Southland next year. We'll know for sure any moment now.

Lol. This "live stream" is like watching over morse code.

edit - stream fixed like right after I posted... wrong as usual :wasntme:

Well....we are out of the Summit as of 7/1/12.....interesting that the Southland Commissioner wears a blue and gold tie but Carter and Rutland aren't......at least Mike didn't wear the orange tie....... :razz:

Hello Guys,

I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the SLC. I know I'm excited for Oral Roberts to come in to our conference, and I look forward to going up to Tulsa to watch SFA play you in basketball and baseball.

If you guys want to banter when our teams start playing eachother, you can visit www.lumberjackfans.com I am going to mention this board over on our site to hopefully get some cross traffic. So far the reaction on our site is very positive, as it seems around the entire Southland.

Anyways, look forward to the competition!

Thanks for the welcome, Rev. I look forward to posting on LumberJackfans.com.

Press Conference Notables:

We will start play July 1, 2012

We did pay the $250K buyout

Per Mike Carter we were VERY content in the Summit. They came to us. We didn't come to them. It was a good situation for us.

correct me if i heard wrong....sounds like the BB tournament is not open to bid, but some championships are. i think Mike Carter said ORU would be aggressive in bidding for Baseball, Volleyball and women's soccer.

also men's soccer will continue to compete in the Summit or move the Missouri Valley.

Having the BB tournament in Katy (Houston) is okay with me. It's not far (can be reached quickly via Southwest) and the weather will be decent that time of year. Would be nice to have the baseball tournament here - lots of quality opposition!

I vote for soccer moving to the Missouri Valley.

agree about Houston being a good site. also pokes a hole in the Dakota school fans saying ORU was leaving because they were upset about not hosting the BB tournament.

also thought it was interesting that Mike Carter kept mentioning about what was best for the student athletes. he even made mention of "field conditions." i'm guessing he is taking a shot at some of the summit league baseball fields.

I saw some more posts on Twitter about ORU supposedly having an easy walk to the NCAA bid in the Southland conference for basketball. I would be disappointed if we weren't competitive, but a cake walk to an NCAA bid? I think the coaches would laugh if you shared with them those expectations.

Anybody saying that ORU is going to walk in and just start winning in the Southland doesn't know what they're talking about. Almost all of the recent games ORU has played against Southland teams have been losses-- Sam Houston, A&M-Corpus Christi and SFA. Actually I can't think of any games we've won recently against the Southland other than Lamar. And even then it was close...Soutland teams are always tough in my opinion.

TheEagleman thinks that ORU is going to walk in and just start winning in the Southland without any problems.....oops....i missed Maniac's comments above.....scratch what I just said........ ;-) ......especially after examining the results of our recent basketball games with the Southland over the past couple years.....not good.......we owe some serious payback!..... :nerd:

I don't know about "dominate"... I agree that is presumptuous.

Here are the 2010-2011 RPI for both Summit and Southland

If you take an ORU (with a 131 RPI) out of the Summit and add it to the Southland (where it would be the highest RPI in the league), you will probably even things out so that both leagues end up around 25th out of 31. Someone else can do the math to see if that is an accurate statement! :)

October 26th Sports Lounge

0:00 - 14:40 Oral Roberts leaving the Summit League for the Southland conference.

http://www.archive.o...2011SportsBlock

- Terry Vandrovec from the Argus Leaders joins the Sports Block with Travis and Charlie to talk about Oral Roberts move from the Summit League to the Southland Conference, SDSU Cross Country, Volleyball and Soccer.

I know that we're not as competitive from top to bottom as the summit in Basketball but I still think ORU will be pleased with the level of competition at the top of the SLC. There are always a few teams in each sport that managed to be good.

Baseball -SELU,Lamar, SHSU, SFA

Basketball -SHSU, SFA (hopefully Lamar after this year!)

WBB - Lamar, UCA, McNeese? (not sure how long McNeese will be a factor)

Golf - Lamar (UTA our only competitor is leaving)

W Golf - Lamar, SHSU

XC - Lamar

TF - SFA, SHSU

W Soccer - SFA, (maybe Lamar now as we're starting to compete)

Volleyball - SFA, SHSU

M Tennis SFA?

W Tennis LU, SFA

Anyways there are always a few teams that manage to be good at each sport, and compete not only in conference but win nicely outside of conference too.

Thanks for sharing the video. I have to agree with CardAmbassador. People are making generalized assumptions off of mid major programs in 2 conferences that both sit towards the bottom of the NCAA. Seriously, challenge yourself and ask the question what am I really basing this on?