For Bachmann’s Law School, God and Justice Were Intertwined

ORUalum

the NY Times presents a pretty even handed article about her time at ORU and asks why she never mentions it in her speeches.

TULSA, Okla. — Michele Bachmann was 22 and newly married when, in the fall of 1979, she and 53 other aspiring lawyers arrived on the manicured campus of Oral Roberts University here. They were the inaugural class in an unusual educational experiment: a law school rooted in charismatic Christian belief.

“We hope to guide our students to a deeper understanding of their spiritual gifts and of their place in God’s kingdom,” the school’s dean, Charles Kothe, wrote in the first edition of its law review, The Journal of Christian Jurisprudence. The aim, he said, was to train the next generation of legal minds to “integrate their Christian faith into their chosen profession,” and to “restore law to its historic roots in the Bible.”

Today, as a Republican congresswoman from Minnesota seeking her party’s nomination for president, Mrs. Bachmann often talks of her work as a lawyer, describing herself as a “former federal tax litigation attorney,” though not identifying her employer as the Internal Revenue Service. She points to her master’s degree from the College of William and Mary in Virginia, from a nine-month program in tax law.

But the far more formative experience was one she rarely discusses in front of secular audiences: the legal education she received at Oral Roberts University, founded by the Christian televangelist and Pentecostal faith healer of that name. It was, one fellow student recalls, a “Petri dish of conservatism and Judeo-Christian thought.”

FULL ARTICLE

Considering the source, I thought that the article was very even-handed. It spoke several times about the more controversial aspects and beliefs of ORU without doing so in a negative way. Very matter-of-fact.

Glad to see I'm not the only one bugged by her sweeping ORU under the rug. I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I've checked her web site periodically since she's been in public office, and until recently (within the last year) it listed every school she attended since junior high - EXCEPT Oral Roberts University. She does list it now, which I greatly appreciate.

Even better, the student with the backpack in the picture inside the prayer tower is TrueBlue15. Published in the NY Times - I knew he'd make it big in media! :D

Nice article but TheEagleman still prefers Herman Cain or Rick Santorum at present....however, I doubt either has a chance of getting the nomination..... still plenty of time to change my mind...... :nerd:

i agree Eagleman, she is not my cup of tea either. i think it will come down to Romney vs. Obama.

i think the piece was pretty fair, but the article was clearly an attempt to remind her detractors that she went to christian law school, which somehow makes it less of an actual education. mix your education with marxism, atheism, or any other kind of -ism; just don't mix it with an evangelical christian world view.

After I saw and read the article on my NY Times app on my phone I looked up her picture in my ORU yearbook because I began ORU in 1979.

And she was there with her husband, Marcus.

Never thought to delve into those old memories.

I remember in intramural softball the law school team called themselves the Barristers.

They beat our team Fortress 8-7 on an illegal play in the last inning!

They argued with the umps the whole game!

That's a great story, Cletus....Lawyers.....ptoooey!...... :puke: ........but of course...when you need one....they aren't so bad..... :nerd: