Freshmen Bilbury, Jackson Forced To Redshirt?

Old Titan

Probably another dumb NCAA rule screws these kids....yet dirtbag ex-coaches like Bruce Pearl just sit out there counting money from buyouts with no penalties..... :puke: :puke: :puke:

Different rules for the little guys...

1y4pok.jpg

Billbury went to Booker T, a good academic school and has athletes go D-1 every single year in football and basketball, seems like they should know what he would need to do to be eligible.

It sure seems that a decision like this should be reviewed after the first semester so that they could at least practice in the Spring. My fear is that if they can't play at all, they might consider going the Juco route.

If the NCAA is concerned about their academic progress or performance - wouldn't the fact that they have successfully completed college course work provide enough evidence that they are college 'eligible'?

Especially after their first semester in college? I don't get it. What is the point that the NCAA is trying to prove? Especially if it is only one high school class that is in question.

It sure seems that a decision like this should be reviewed after the first semester so that they could at least practice in the Spring. My fear is that if they can't play at all, they might consider going the Juco route.

They are trying to prove that an anti-trust lawsuit is not a complete fantasy.

Agreed.

Nine guys is PLENTY. Stay away from injuries and this is a NON-FACTOR.

Agreed: we really have a great 9-man rotation right now, with The Magnificent Seven who have all started before, plus Lliteras and Manghum to spell them a couple of minutes a half.

Nine guys is PLENTY. Stay away from injuries and this is a NON-FACTOR.

There you go again, with your "facts" & your "rational thinking"... |( |(

TheEagleman would still like to have at least one of those 2 freshman available in the event of injury....still, a redshirt for both isn't the worst thing in the world.....would just like to see them practicing with the squad.... :nerd:

highlights and interview w/Coach Sutton from first practice.

LINK

Amazing to see this! Thanks to everyone who put it together. Hope we can see more of this in the future!

Very well done!!

Was that a ZONE DRILL they were doing??? The element of surprise has been eliminated, but the element of SHOCK lives on!!

i liked how Coach Sutton is trying to keep the pressure on Oakland, saying they have the bulls eye on their back. i hope the players are not buying into all the preseason love. Oakland is still the champ until someone knocks them off.

also i did not see the 2 freshman PGs, so it looks like they are indeed out. there must some worry about them getting discouraged, hopefully they understand they will be a big part of the program for the years to come despite this setback.

The ineligible freshmen situation definitely hurts us - for this year (depth, insurance for injury) and next year (rust and cobwebs). However, five years out - we might be looking back to this decision with great appreciation. Sutton generally only plays an 8 or 9 man rotation anyway - so I wonder if either of these guys would have been red-shirted anyway. The worst part is not being allowed to practice - very bad for the team AND for the kids.

i liked how Coach Sutton is trying to keep the pressure on Oakland, saying they have the bulls eye on their back. i hope the players are not buying into all the preseason love. Oakland is still the champ until someone knocks them off.

also i did not see the 2 freshman PGs, so it looks like they are indeed out. there must some worry about them getting discouraged, hopefully they understand they will be a big part of the program for the years to come despite this setback.

Maybe it's just because I've being following these guys on Twitter since they signed with us, but I'm REALLY disappointed they won't be on the court this year. I hope the NCAA eventually allows them to practice.

Good stuff.....anybody know if ORU will be sporting new uniforms this year?.....TheEagleman likes the gold ones but hoping they get rid of that small script Oral Roberts and change it to the ORU like the blues and whites..... :nerd: