ORU confirms talks with Southland Conference

ORUTerry

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

Published: 9/30/2011 2:28 AM

Last Modified: 9/30/2011 4:43 AM

Oral Roberts University will enter talks about possibly joining the Southland Conference, ORU athletic director Mike Carter confirmed Thursday.

"No invitation is expected any time soon. Nothing is pending," Carter said. "They're interested in us and they've asked us to come and visit with them about it."

Carter said such talks would occur in the next couple of weeks.....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ORU/article.aspx?subjectid=95&articleid=20110930_95_B1_OralRo406535

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• vcboy2000

A highly placed Tulsa World source said, "There is interest both ways, and most people (involved) think it will happen."

i hope the reporting is correct and this is pretty much a done deal.

i think this would be a great move for a lot of reasons. not the least of which would be raising the profile of ORU in neighboring states (especially texas) for recruiting.

the only question would be what to do w/the men's soccer team.

Current members:

University of Central Arkansas (Conway, AR)

Lamar University ( Beamont, TX)

McNeese State (Lake Charles, LA)

Nicholls State (Thibodaux, LA)

Northwestern State (Natchitoches, LA)

Sam Houston State (Huntsville, TX)

Southeastern Louisiana (Hammond, LA)

Stephen F. Austin (Nacogdoches, TX)

Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (Corpus Christi, TX)

4 Louisiana schools, 4 Texas schools and one Arkansas school

Three schools are leaving next year to join the WAC:

UT- Arlington

UT- San Antonio

Texas State

Despite what some of our opponents fans have posted on their message boards, Mike Carter has stated time and time again that we are comfortable in the Summit and aren't 'upset' or 'mad' that the conference tournament for basketball is remaining in SF. Having said that, I agree with the other posters that have said any move would be based on finances and recruiting. As far what to do with Men's Soccer, they are probably exploring options to get provisional membership in another regional conference. It would be hard to just drop it considering the financial investment that they just made in building the new complex.

According to Wikipedia, there has not been a repeat basketball champion in the league since 1992. There is not a dominant basketball team in this league - and has not been for 20 years.

Southland is a weaker basketball league than the Summit... but a stronger baseball league.

We could dominate in basketball but struggle to compete in baseball. The thing is you have an opportunity to go to the tournament every year in that league. Plus the regional benefits (travel / rivalries ).

In baseball the Summit League was ranked 28 out of 32 school last year; the Southland was ranked 8th.

the Summit has had a higher conf RPI the last two years, but the Southland had the better RPI the two years prior. move ORU from the summit to be replaced by a transitional school and i bet the Southland will have the better RPI. the Summit already has UNO making the move up in the next couple of years so i predict the Summit's conf RPI would decline if ORU departed.

Southland Basketball Tournament Champions

Year

Champion

Lamar

Louisiana-Lafayette

Lamar

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisiana Tech

North Texas

McNeese State

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisiana-Monroe

Southwest Texas State

Nicholls State

Louisiana-Monroe

Southwest Texas State

Nicholls State

Texas-San Antonio

Lamar

Northwestern State

McNeese State

Sam Houston State

Texas-San Antonio

Southeastern Louisiana

Northwestern State

Texas A&M–Corpus Christi

Texas-Arlington

Stephen F. Austin

Sam Houston State

Texas-San Antonio

Have you noticed that OT has not weighed in on this conversation? I really wanted a move to the Valley. However, since the Dakota Schools have joined, the alliance with the Commish is very evident. I really don't think we are the only player looking to a possible move. The Valley just makes alot of sense though and this is a downgrade in my opinion in Basketball, and a step up in Baseball. I just like the schools in the Valley. Just my opinion.

The MVC would be a great league, but I don't think that is an option for now - if ever. We need to be careful what we ask for - we might get it. Look what happened to Valpo. They are in the Horizon and have not sniffed any championships and will probably never be heard from (in the NCAA tournament) again.

Have you noticed that OT has not weighed in on this conversation? I really wanted a move to the Valley. However, since the Dakota Schools have joined, the alliance with the Commish is very evident. I really don't think we are the only player looking to a possible move. The Valley just makes alot of sense though and this is a downgrade in my opinion in Basketball, and a step up in Baseball. I just like the schools in the Valley. Just my opinion.

The MVC was a good league 5-7 years ago... it doesn't have cache it used to. Could it again? Maybe. It has the history, fan support, recruiting, TV deal, the coaching pedigree. But despite all that it has been a 1 bid league for a while now.

You are correct that The Southland is a big step down in basketball RPI... we would roll those clowns. There is not an Oakland in there. I predict a lot of ORU 20+ slam fests like UMKC game a couple of years ago.

Baseball is different... I think we could really struggle to stay competitive.

Stephen F. Austin did beat us recently though.

Stephen Freaking Austin - did we have to bring that game up?? It was nine stinking years ago, and it was our first loss after a 6-0 start on the season. And they beat us by a lousy three points.

I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about that game.

The thought of being in the same league as them makes me shudder.

My blood pressure spiked just thinking about it . . .

Interesting comparison of the two conferences' RPI's from StatSheet.com shows the following:

Year Summit/Mid-Con Southland

2011 21 29

2010 23 26

2009 26 19

2008 22 19

2007 22 26

2006 29 19

2005 23 27

2004 21 26

2003 27 25

2002 22 23

2001 22 26

2000 29 24

Total 287 289

Avg 23.9 24.1

I obviously don't know how to insert a table - but the numbers show that the two conferences are remarkably close over the 12 year period... with lots of fluctuations. The Summit has been better the last two years - and the Southland for the two years previous.