Mark Rutland To Leave ORU Within Two Years

Old Titan

It's not like I've gone looking for stuff on this lady - I've never even met her.

It's just that in the past couple of years, her name has consistently been mentioned on a variety of topics, from a diverse group of people who have only these two things in common:

1. They are working hard to make something positive happen at "The New ORU".

2. She was preventing it from happening, through either inaction or incompetence.

That's not good...

Can't blame the guy for wanting to retire at 65 but it sounds like ORU will miss Dr. Rutland....is he well liked around campus by the faculty and students?...what's the scoop on this Finley lady?....Just a short note.....TheEagleman is available for this or any position after 7/1/12........ :nerd:

Universities around the country change presidents all the time. TU is currently looking for another president, while OSU has had two or three the past decade. David Boren's long-standing tenure at OU is outside the norm.

I think the more presidents that ORU has, while maintaining the university's purpose, helps vanquish the preconceived notions of many that ORU is just a cult of personality.

I frankly wouldn't mind seeing ORU presidents serving something akin to a 4-to-6 year term, similar to elected political figures, then move on - it would bring a much-needed shot of enthusiasm and vision to the school on a regular basis, similar to what happens on other campuses when they see a change in leadership.

• Upvote 1

Rutland is loved and respected by the current student body. He has been a great transitional leader and brought stability & respectability back to ORU. Rutland's handling of the tragic situation last week is an example of his ability to act as a father figure to the student body.

somewhere in south tulsa richard is polishing up his resume.

but on a serious note, great points above by OT.

i'd add that i hope that the next president is an academic rather than a minister. allow dr. rutland's ongoing role be dealing w/spiritual matters on campus and fundraising.

I just hope and pray that the next president has a passion for college athletics, and an understanding of the financial commitment required to remain competitive at the D-1 level.

I agree with everything OT stated above... no real reason to stay more than 5 years. It's better to have a continuation of leaders that advance the mission.

I am moving this thread to the "Free For All" forum for further discussion...

Didn't see the thread moved yet, so I figured I'd add my 2 cents. I agree that Dr. Rutland has been a great transitional leader. He was the answer to prayer that ORU needed on so many different levels. We'll be praying that the next president will also be an answer to prayer as ORU seeks to continue its track towards long-term sustainability.

Maybe the next ORU Prez will be a football fan......GoldenEagle Football???.... :wasntme::nerd::wasntme:

Dr Rutland is going to be sorely missed. My son attends ORU and I can't think of a person I would rather have as ORU President. I would have liked for him to serve 10 years. But you have to remember that Rutland didn't want the job initially and had to be begged and bribed to take it. You may not remember that he only came to ORU after Mart Green donated 10 million dollars to Southeastern University to pay off their debt. I would bet that Rutland made a deal with Mart Green when he accepted the job. He probably made Mart Green agree to a short 4 year term.

Let's all pray for a really good replacement. It took months and months the last time we did a President search.

• Upvote 1

Chairman Mart Green did a lot to try and convince Rutland to come to ORU, but Rutland has repeatedly shared in various public and private forums that it was God's leading that ultimately led him to say yes. He has also shared how much coming to ORU has done for his own personal and leadership development. When you're Rutland's age and have achieved as much as he has, spending another 10 years working a 9-5 is not that attractive. Very much like Dr. Fagin, I imagine he wants to enjoy his retirement and grandchildren while he's got some good years left. I appreciate his 4 or 5 years at the helm, and look forward to the Board of Trustees finding another well-qualified candidate to lead ORU's day to day operations.

OT, who is this Michelle Finley you talk about? Any links? Never heard of her.