Tragic story involving ORU freshman

tmh8286

"An Oral Roberts University freshman is one of two people who were found shot to death Monday in a Tulsa park, the university's president told faculty, staff and students in an email Monday evening.

Police identified the two victims as Carissa Horton, who would have turned 19 on Sept. 27, and Ethan Nichols, 21."

This occurred at Hicks Park, near 34th and Mingo, which is some distance from ORU. Carissa was living on campus at ORU.

http://www.tulsaworl...13_AnOral617569

Praying for the Horton's and the entire ORU family.

Yes - this has a profoundly sobering effect on the entire ORU family. My heart is breaking for the families of these two young people.

As the details of the case come out, it becomes more and more gruesome - the details of which don't bear repeating here. The couple was out walking a dog on the jogging trail of the park when this happened.

Terrible news....prayers go out to the family of the victim and her friends at ORU......what kind of area is 34th and Mingo now?....TheEagleman doesn't recall it being a bad location but I haven't been to Tulsa in many years.... ;(

I'm not overly familiar with the area, but according to articles about this, there is low income housing at the corner of 31st and Memorial. Some of the comments in response to the articles indicate that the area has been getting going downhill for a while, although others comment that they use Hicks Park and the jogging trail there all the time and have never felt unsafe.

So what's the latest on this story....just a Boyfriend and girlfriend out for a walk and an attempted robbery or something?....where is this girl from and what was she doing that far from campus?......a very sad thing.... :worried:

Both young people were from the same town in Iowa. The boy moved down with his parents and worked at the Blue Bell Creamery in Broken Arrow. I assume his parents lived near the park.

The killer actually came back to the scene and was interviewed on a local tv station bemoaning how violent Tulsa is becoming - while he had the victim's cell phone in him pocket. Talk about no lack of gall. They both were arrested later when they were seen in the victims' automobile.

• Upvote 1

Unbelievable.....hopefully, Oklahoma has the death penalty and is not afraid to use it..... :nerd:

Here's an article that was done after the reporter spoke with the parents of both kids. Two strong Christian families and two strong Christian kids. It's really hard to comprehend how this could have happened:

http://www.fox23.com/content/crime/story/Forgiving-the-killers-of-a-young-couple/Re8IB9EtOEOoLhG3Xr3CZw.cspx

senseless. hopefully the DA believes in the death penalty.

based on the TW comments he'll never get re-elected if he lets these thugs off easy.

senseless. hopefully the DA believes in the death penalty.

based on the TW comments he'll never get re-elected if he lets these thugs off easy.

I've met the Tulsa Co. DA, Tim Harris, and know people that are quite close, personal friends with him. He's a top flight guy, has a very common sense style of prosecution, and is an ORU grad (from the O. W. Coburn School of Law). Assuming there were no goof-ups with the evidence-gathering or anything else we don't know about, I would sure be surprised if he didn't seek the death penalty.

http://da.tulsacounty.org/Bio.aspx

thanks for the info tmh. was not aware the DA was an ORU alum. hopefully he does not have any religious objection to the death penalty. the bio you linked makes it sound like he is a tough prosecutor.

regarding one of the links above, what kind of person goes back to the scene of the crime to watch the police and be interviewed by the media?

two lives for a cell phone and a car? there is no wrapping your head around evil.

thanks for the info tmh. was not aware the DA was an ORU alum. hopefully he does not have any religious objection to the death penalty. the bio you linked makes it sound like he is a tough prosecutor.

regarding one of the links above, what kind of person goes back to the scene of the crime to watch the police and be interviewed by the media?

two lives for a cell phone and a car? there is no wrapping your head around evil.

I couldn't agree more. One source was reporting this AM that one of the gunmen was actually texting the family of one of the victims, using the victim's cell phone, for twelve hours after the murders. They didn't say whether he was impersonating the victim or taunting them with from his own perspective, but either way it is really sick. I think it was the younger one, Price, that had the cell phones.

In an article from the Tulsa Beacon in 2009 entitled "DA Tim Harris sent more than 2,000 to prison in 2008" comes the following statement:

"Two murderers were sentenced to death for their crimes. Fourteen criminals got life without parole and 11 more got life in prison."

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=1555

Gee....that is very sick behavior....certainly these two guys deserve the most extreme penalty....hopefully, they both plead guilty and spare the family the additional pain of a trial...but sounds like with these two it would be unlikely.....very violent and unremorseful.....all TheEagleman can say is....Lock and Load.....get rid of 'em..... :puke:

Nice interview with the parents....very forgiving.....they are certainly to be commended and admired for being open with their Christian beliefs....I am sure that it's a somber week at ORU..... ;(