Sean Sutton Drug Case Dismissed

Old Titan

This is great news for Sean and the Sutton family - the man has paid his dues:

Drug Case Against Sean Sutton Is Dismissed

By RHETT MORGAN World Staff Writer

Published: 8/19/2011 2:26 AM

STILLWATER - One year into Sean Sutton's three-year probation on felony drug charges, a Payne County judge has dismissed the case and expunged the record of the former Oklahoma State University men's head basketball coach, Sutton's attorney said.

About a month ago, Sutton's attorney, Trace Morgan, filed a motion to accelerate the sentencing deferment based on his client's having completed all the terms and conditions of his probation, Morgan said.

With no objection from the District Attorney's Office, Payne County Associate District Judge Stephen Kistler granted that request Wednesday, Morgan said.

"A lot of that was based upon Sean's obvious attention to doing the things that were necessary for him to get better," Morgan said of Sutton, now a full-time assistant basketball coach at Oral Roberts University. "He did those things and went far beyond that."

Payne County District Attorney Tom Lee didn't return messages seeking comment Thursday.

In accordance with a plea agreement, Sutton pleaded guilty to four drug charges on Aug. 13, 2010, and received a three-year sentencing deferral. The terms of the deal required Sutton to be under the supervision of the Payne County District Attorney's Office for three years, continue drug treatment and prescribed aftercare, perform 100 hours of community service and, if necessary, testify against the two women who allegedly provided him drugs. He also was required to pay a $2,500 fine and court costs.

Prosecutors charged Sutton in February 2010 with obtaining a controlled dangerous substance, oxycodone, by fraud with prescriptions from multiple doctors at multiple pharmacies; possession of oxycodone without a prescription; attempted possession of controlled dangerous substances, Adderall and Clonazepam; and use of a communication device to commit a felony.

Each of the charges is a felony punishable by up to five or 10 years in prison.

In court Wednesday, Sutton, 42, withdrew his guilty plea and entered a plea of not guilty before the court dismissed the case and expunged his record, Morgan said.

"Sean worked hard on this stuff," Morgan said. "If anybody deserved a break, he did. This is a guy who stood up and took his medicine and didn't shirk his responsibilities. He took it like a man. The court agreed."

Sutton said his competitive nature helped him overcome his drug abuse.

"Sometimes you can use that to your advantage, and I used it very much with this," he said. "I was determined to own up to my mistakes and take responsibility. I was determined never to have this as an issue in my life ever again."

Sutton spent last season as an unpaid executive adviser at ORU, where his younger brother, Scott Sutton, is the men's head basketball coach. Sean Sutton was promoted this summer.

"I felt a big responsibility to the people in this state," Sean Sutton said. "Oklahoma has been a special place for me and my family to live. I carried a lot of guilt and remorse over what happened, but I had in my mind from the start that I was going to turn something positive out of this."

Sutton had a 39-29 record in two seasons at OSU, where he also spent 13 years as an assistant under his father, Eddie Sutton. Sean Sutton resigned under pressure in 2008.

He said he never has turned down a chance to speak about his free fall into drug abuse.

"I think this is a huge problem in our society today," he said. "I hope sharing my experience, my story, what I've been able to learn, will prevent people from ever choosing to go down that road.

"The people that may be caught in the trap - I want to let them know that there's hope and there's a way out."

Drug Case Against Sen Sutton Dismissed (Tulsa World 8/19/21)

This is great news!.... :clap: