MIami Mess

ORUTerry

by Greg Doyle

Obviously Miami deserves the death penalty for football. Just as obviously, Miami won't get what it deserves because the NCAA is too scared to do it.

That's my position, and it's based on two suppositions -- suppositions I'm more than comfortable making. Supposition One: The crux of Yahoo's Pulitzer-caliber reporting on Miami's decade of decadence is correct. Supposition Two: The primary source of that report, former Miami booster Nevin Shapiro, is telling mostly the truth. I don't need every accusation out of his mouth to be true to write the first sentence of this story. If every other accusation out of his mouth is true -- heck, if every fourth accusation out of his mouth is true -- I stand by my first sentence:

Obviously Miami deserves the death penalty for football.

Obviously.

This is SMU's Pony Expre$$ plus Southern California/Reggie Bush multiplied by Ohio State and Jim Tressel. This is the trifecta of taint, is what I'm saying. It's as bad a scandal as anything we've ever seen in college sports. Have there been dirtier situations than this one at Miami? Possibly. Heck, I'll go so far as to say probably. But we don't know about those.

We know about this one.

And this one's bad. The worst I've ever seen. It's player after player -- 72 in all! -- being plied with cash and prostitutes and more, much more. And, according to Yahoo's reporting and Nevin Shapiro's big mouth, it was done with the knowledge of a handful of Miami coaches. So like I said, this is SMU plus Reggie Bush multiplied by Jim Tressel.

Which means this is a death-penalty territory.

Obviously.

But the NCAA won't do it. Just you watch -- it won't happen. And when it doesn't happen, this is why:

The NCAA knows the entire structure of college sports is teetering on the edge of the abyss. One wrong move -- Texas A&M to the SEC ... or the death penalty to a football powerhouse -- could push the whole thing off the cliff. And when it goes, it won't be just the Big 12 and the ACC that go down. The NCAA will go down with it.

See, as I told you in April 2010 -- and as everyone else is saying now -- the end game for all of this conference realignment is a 64-team field of BCS schools. Four conferences of 16 teams, breaking away from the NCAA to form their own league so they can keep all the TV money. At the highest level of college sports there would be no need for schools in the MAC or the Mountain West or Conference USA, so there would be no need for the NCAA.

And the NCAA knows it....

Link to full story.

This is big... really big - and bad. And as the story indicates, it could have all kinds of repurcussions.

Oh yeah....this IS really big and really bad....the U is a disgrace and has been for years....just start with Michael Irvin.... :puke: .....TheEagleman could go on and on....the sad part is you have to feel bad for good guy and clean coach Al Golden who just took the Miami job after being a miracle man at Temple the past 5 years....my two nephews played for Al and he is everything he's portrayed to be....a great coach, motivator and human being....he is a fin husband and a good dad.....so he finally gets his big break and Miami and this happens within 6 months...ouch!....it's gotta hurt the program....yes, they should get the death penalty but won't....probably some serious probation, though....that will really hurt recruiting....but this is what happens when there are NO rules.....hey, TheEagleman heard Barry Switzer on Philly sports talk radio today and he claims that what happened at Miami is rare and that 99% of the NCAA big schools obey the rules.....huh?.... :rofl::rofl::rofl: ......and Barry had to be one of the worst of his era....he must have been hitting the Jack Daniels early today.......remember Brian Bosworth?.... |(|(|( ....of course, the stuff that Switzer was doing years ago is nothing compared to what goes on today....GREED....it's all very sad...... :cry:

hey, TheEagleman heard Barry Switzer on Philly sports talk radio today and he claims that what happened at Miami is rare and that 99% of the NCAA big schools obey the rules.....huh?.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ......and Barry had to be one of the worst of his era....he must have been hitting the Jack Daniels early today.......remember Brian Bosworth?.... |( |( |( ....of course, the stuff that Switzer was doing years ago is nothing compared to what goes on today....GREED....it's all very sad...... :cry:

there is nothing new under the sun. the two best films in the '30 for 30' series are the Pony Express film about SMU and the Marcus Dupree film. SMU could not stop cheating because they had to maintain a promised payroll for their players. Texas A&M bought Eric Dickerson a gold Trans Am (dubbed the 'Trans A&M') and still did not land him. to land Dupree OU bought his mother a new double wide.

how do you think Mizzou feels about just hiring Miami's basketball coach who allegedly had knowledge and involvement in wrong doing.

if the NCAA ever gives the death penalty again, it will be in this case.

What are the chances that Missouri is looking for a new head basketball coach in the (near?) future? I am sure they will want to run away from this stink as fast as they can.

This is just the tip of the iceberg at the U.....it's gonna get ugly....if they get hit hard, it could doom the football program for at least a decade like it did at SMU....took them near 20 yrs to recover....and yeah, Marcus Dupree....great talent....such a shame....sure Barry....99% of the BCS schools are playing it straight..... :drunk:

The 99% designation is incorrect. But I do think a large majority of schools are trying to do things the right way because in the internet age it is so difficult to keep "under the table" deals "under the table". Many of the schools that are guilty of these violations would still have been successful without the violations (Ohio State, Miami, Auburn, etc.). Of course Auburn wouldn't have been undefeated without Cam Newton, but they would still have won a lot of games. Jim Tressel would still be the coach at Ohio State if he had simply reported the Terrell Pryor issue as soon as he became aware of it.

There is now a lot of risk associated with cheating, including coaches and ADs losing their jobs. While that deterrent won't stop a rogue booster, it will be enough to keep most schools from willfully committing violations that lead to what USC is dealing with now and what Miami will face in the future.

I agree with ORUTerry that this really puts Missouri in a bad spot. Do you fire a guy who just got there and technically has done everything right under your watch? This will probably hurt his ability to recruit which will in turn hurt Missouri.

The NCAA is coming after him... And after Quinn Snyder, Mizzu doesn't want the headache.

Missouri AD talks Haith: 'We support the NCAA process'

CBSSports.com wire reports

Aug. 24, 2011

(excerpt)

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Missouri athletic director Mike Alden is standing behind the school's embattled men's basketball coach -- to a point.

Frank Haith's future has come into question after Yahoo Sports reported last week that a former University of Miami booster said he paid then-Hurricanes recruit DeQuan Jones $10,000 to attend the school with Haith's approval.

Haith spent seven years at Miami before Alden hired him in April. It was a decision that surprised and disappointed many Missouri fans, given Haith's relatively low coaching profile and his 43-69 record in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Alden discussed Haith for the first time Wednesday at a kickoff party for Missouri football boosters. Asked by The Associated Press if he supports Haith, Alden replied, "We support the NCAA process." ....

Link to full story at CBSSports.com

I would not be surprised to see Mizzou make a coaching change - which could impact ORU.