New Court

OKC Eagle

The last ON TOPIC post in this thread was the very first one!!

Back on topic: I heard this week that sections of the wood floor from the Mabee Center will be made available soon. Larger sections(11" x 11") will be available in limited numbers, and will be first come first served. Smaller sections (5" x 8" and 2 1/2" x 8") will also be for sale.

They'll be made available on orugoldeneagles.com, so be watching!

how dare you derail this thread by going back on topic :grin:

now going back off topic...

I don't think Ted Owens did anything wrong himself, nor would he have approved of such - it was instead a NOTORIOUS assistant coach he had working for him named Dave Pritchett, who was Satan personified. A highly-moral volunteer assistant on the staff was so appalled by Pritchett's conduct, both on and off the job, that he wrote a letter to the NCAA naming specific violations involving Pritchett that he had witnessed.

But Trickey still swears that the reason ORU went NAIA was not to avoid NCAA prosecution - it was because Oral was ready to pull the plug on athletics altogether because of money. Trickey convinced Oral that if they went NAIA, they could remain afloat for a few seasons on a bare-boned budget until the money situation improved.

Which, in hindsight, is exactly what happened.

2 memories from ORU Ted Owens basketball camp as a little kid

1)getting drilled in the face w/a basketball by one of the camp counselors/coaches for not paying attention during a block of instruction

2)shaking hands w/some old guy that was the grandad of one of the kids i was sitting w/in the AC bleachers (later found out the university was named after the old guy)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• ORUalum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how dare you derail this thread by going back on topic :grin:

now going back off topic...

2 memories from ORU Ted Owens basketball camp as a little kid

1)getting drilled in the face w/a basketball by one of the camp counselors/coaches for not paying attention during a block of instruction

2)shaking hands w/some old guy that was the grandad of one of the kids i was sitting w/in the AC bleachers (later found out the university was named after the old guy)

323.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Latest photo of the new court:

Mabee Center basketball floor

Well, based on that massive upside-down Eli, I guess we can forever rule out any chance games will be broadcast on TV from the other side of the arena, where Sections A-D in the background have some fans in them.

Here's hoping we double our efforts to sell/give tickets in Sections K and L to people who actually want to attend the games* :hai:

*NOTE: Not an indictment of MM.

Court looks nice although a old timer like TheEagleman would prefer to see ORU or something else besides a huge Eli at center court....too tacky....as for slow ticket sales....How about an ORU Basketball "buy one get one free" when you purchase a six pack of Coors at any Quick Trip?.... :grin:

Ouch. What a stinging indictment of MM!

Just a pet peave of mine that there are so many empty seats in Sections K and L at every game. Variety of factors: a lot of those seats are "comps" for donors, potential donors, coaches, players families, etc.

Wish we could somehow fill them - but, I'm told I'm beating the proverbial dead horse...

I bought a piece of the Evansville Aces floor where Jerry Sloan helped win a number of championships. What great memories of packed houses and standing room only with 12k plus in the stands. Smoke from cigs so thick at the top of the stadium you could't hardly see. But Great basketball with the likes of Walt Frazier from Southern Ill in 3 double overtimes wins for the Aces. Playing Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana and winning most of the time. B)

OT: "Here's hoping we double our efforts to sell/give tickets in Sections K and L to people who actually want to attend the games*"

I just moved my tickets from the 7th row of C to the 7th row of L. I will be there on the weekends and big games and will make sure they get used when I can't make it. But now I have to look at Eli upsidedown.

I think I'm going to keep my seats in Section D, but start crashing Section K to sit in the coaches' comp seats.

I figure if I sit right behind Eddie, Patsy, and the granddaughters, and do my usual yelling at the refs, I might get on TV a dozen times a game. :hai:

That might make the games more interesting....watching OT ride the refs and then get ejected....could be interesting....

I think I'm going to keep my seats in Section D, but start crashing Section K to sit in the coaches' comp seats.

I figure if I sit right behind Eddie, Patsy, and the granddaughters, and do my usual yelling at the refs, I might get on TV a dozen times a game. emoticon-0128-hi.gif.pagespeed.ce.3sr9xPCLhm.gif

If you really want to get on the refs, come join us in Section J. :devil:

The new court has too much Eli....looks obnoxious....I guess TheEagleman prefers more of the throwback look..... :nerd:

The new court has too much Eli....looks obnoxious....I guess TheEagleman prefers more of the throwback look.....

please email mike carter. he needs to know not everyone is as high on eli as he is.

it's a little late now and unless you are cutting big checks to the athletics dept, i doubt an email would have much effect.

mike carter has done such a great job as the AD so he is probably should not be criticized for his affinity for Eli. ORU has had so much success and facility upgrades under his tenure.

i wish someone would ask him if he thinks OU would put a giant Boomer and Sooner at mid-court (or Top Dog when that was the basketball mascot) or if TU would put their hideous mascot on their court. it looks silly. Eli should be reserved for shaking kids hands at games and as plush dolls in the bookstore.

please email mike carter. he needs to know not everyone is as high on eli as he is.

The new court has too much Eli....looks obnoxious....I guess TheEagleman prefers more of the throwback look..... emoticon-0126-nerd.gif.pagespeed.ce.xU0Rp8FEEl.gif

I've made that arguement about the outlandish size "court art" for the past several years. It's pretty common for emblelms to span from three point line to three piont line. Look at this one of the Kansas Jayhawk at Allen Field house:

DSC_0061.JPG