• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• ORUalum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

blast from the past. (skip ahead to 2 minutes in)

never knew ORU had "gathering of eagles" on the baseline ever, much less when they were still the Titans. foretelling????

a couple of things about that clip. how about the talent on that OSU team? WOW!!! also why in the world did OSU allow Dean "the dream" Blevins host one of their coaches shows?

Gotta agree with you - how did OSU ever let Dean Blevins work for them?

Did Eddie say that Moody Coliseum was a larger version of Gallagher Arena?

Great, GREAT clip, alum. Thanks so much for posting that. Fun to see Corey Williams, Sean Sutton, Bryant Reeves, and especially the earlier itteration of the Mabee Center court.

That was a great find. How do you do it, time after time?? :wink:

Fun to see Corey Williams, Sean Sutton, Bryant Reeves, and especially the earlier itteration of the Mabee Center court.

you left off their best player -- Byron Houston. things have not gone well for him post OSU, but he was one dominate college player.

What year was that OSU-ORU game?....TheEagleman prefers the EXPECT A MIRACLE at midcourt like it was then.... :ugeek:

What year was that OSU-ORU game?....TheEagleman prefers the EXPECT A MIRACLE at midcourt like it was then.... :ugeek:

I was at that game and I remember how dominant Bryant Reeves was. I'm surprised he only had 21 points. It felt like he had 40. We didn't have the beef to stop the low post game and OSU kept going back to it again and again. It was a fun atmosphere with OSU being ranked #3 in the country but ORU was playing from behind the entire game so it was somewhat depressing as well. However, that was an amazing OSU team.

I think they added "A Gathering of Eagles" to the court a season or two before the name change as a sort of transition.

Arrangements are being made by the Golden Eagle Club to make pieces of the old court available to fans.

Story

Any word on the "arrangements" yet?

This ORU-OSU game was before we went NAIA?... :ugeek:

This game was AFTER the NAIA years, when Trickey was playing a brutal D-1 schedule as part of ORU's penance - early 90's.

Trickey always had a fascination with bird mascots.

When he started the basketball program at Oklahoma Junior College in Claremore (now Rogers State), he called the team the "Falcons".

Once he returned to ORU, he wanted to change the name of the team to "Eagles", but RR resisted.

So Trickey did the next best thing, in his mind: he had "A Gathering Of Eagles" painted along the side of the court, and played in uniforms that never said "Titans".

The ironic thing us that RR, once he took over fully, embraced the whole name change and "Eagle" concept, while Trickey, who had been fired, started a basketball academy in east Tulsa with (you guessed it) a sly looking eagle logo that was kind of a cross between Eli and the KU Jayhawk.

Birds of a feather, I guess...

So OT....TheEagleman was around in 1974 when Trickey was let go the first time after the DUI incident on the night we beat Louisville...but why was Ken let go the 2nd time?...what's the story?...and Self replaced him?...was OR in favor of leting Trickey go or did he have no say?..... :ugeek:

Ken Trickey is like an uncle to me, but the simple truth is his last couple of teams at ORU couldn't beat an egg, and they didn't draw flies.

Coach and RR never got along anyway, so it was simply time for a fresh start once RR took over. Self was chosen from a pretty thin list of candidates, primarily getting the nod based on a stellar recommendation from one Edward Sutton.

And, for the record: Ken Trickey RESIGNED as head coach (effective at season's end) WEEKS before the Louisville DUI. In fact, he did it on his post-game radio show on KRMG following a bad loss to Jerry Tarkanian's Long Beach State team, and then reiterated the same feelings in the Tulsa World the next day.

He SUSPENDED himself following the DUI after the Louisville game, but OR reinstated him the morning of the Elite Eight game with Kansas.

Following the season, he made good on his promise to leave by taking the head coaching job at Iowa State (anybody else remember Herkle Ivy?)

Yeah...I remember Herkle Ivy....a real gunner for ISU.....I also remember Trickey saying he was gonna leave after the 1974 season but no one really believed it....yes, he "resigned" after we lost to Kansas but he didn't have much choice after the DUI....I had heard from sources on the team that the coach was suspended by OR on the morning after the DUI but the story that never hit the papers (that I was told by my source) was the asst coach Jack Sutter was going to run the show vs. KU until the team requested a meeting with Oral after which he was reinstated on the morning of the Regional final....Trickey wasn't coaching that game until a few hours before tipoff...my source never would confirm a rumor that the team told OR that they would not take the court that day without their head coach.......I always felt that was a truthful version....but, maybe not.. you have more insight and would know better....I understand that your dad was good friends with Coach Trickey.....Ken was a good man who deserved to coach that KU game...we all make mistakes....and it's no sin not to have not gotten along with RR...in fact, it give Trickey a lot more credibility in the eyes of TheEagleman.... ;-)

Ken Trickey is like an uncle to me, but the simple truth is his last couple of teams at ORU couldn't beat an egg, and they didn't draw flies.

Coach and RR never got along anyway, so it was simply time for a fresh start once RR took over. Self was chosen from a pretty thin list of candidates, primarily getting the nod based on a stellar recommendation from one Edward Sutton.

GREAT metaphor there, OT! I got quite a chuckle out of that.

I was at Trickey's last game, or at least his last home game, where he was honored by RR at halftime. I hadn't gotten hooked on ORU basketball at that point, but someone had given us tickets to the game, so we went. RR came out at halftime and said a few words - I don't really remember what. This I do remember - when Ken Trickey stepped onto the court to receive a small plaque that Richard was giving him, the air in Mabee Center suddenly turned FRIGID!! Even to a casual observer such as myself (at the time) it was very plain to see that there was no love lost between the two men.

Here are some preview stories for the Midwest Regional at the Mabee Center in 1974, where it talks about Trickey already having resigned.

Note the ad at the bottom of the page: FIVE DOLLARS for reserved seat tickets to each game of an NCAA regional. With ticket prices like that, no wonder our attendance back then was so good.

SOURCE: Glenn Smith, "Smitty's Book"

post-50-0-21743400-1312900525_thumb.jpg

Here's the story about the DUI, and the response from Trickey and OR:

SOURCE: Glenn Smith, "Smitty's Book"

post-50-0-62306800-1312901125_thumb.jpg