National Top 144 Preview

Old Titan

Hosting a consolation bracket of the NIT would obviously cost ORU some up front $$$....are we going to be willing to put up that kind of cash especially considering we would be fortunate to get 4-5,000 for these games at best?....TheEagleman would love to see it but I would think the expense might scare us off....plus, I think we have a decent shot at beating TX-San Antonio and OSU in the first two rounds.....would love to see ORU in NYC.... :nerd:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• TrueBlue82

Others may disagree, but I think we would jump at the chance to host, as we did for the WNIT at the end of last season for the women's team.

Would love to see that, TMH....are these two games already part of the season ticket package or would they have to be purchased as extra tickets by everyone?....if the latter is the case, these games might be a tough mid-week sell on such short notice....and we all know on this board how much the current flock of ORU students prefer study and internet surfing to watching basketball at Mabee Center.....hard to believe we'd get 4000+ unless Dr. Rutland issues a mandatory attendence edict for all students..... |(

We are making every effort to host a consolation quad should we not advance to NYC.

Pretty sure the NCAA (owner of the NIT) and/or the other three teams cover the visitors' transportation and lodging expenses.

All we gotta do is throw open the doors of the Mabee Center two nights in a row. Not sure how the gate or concessions are split.

I do know the ORU season tickets INCLUDE provisional reserved seats for the two doubleheaders, should they occur.

That would be great to see an extra pair of games at Mabee should we lose in the first two rounds....maybe the lure of seeing 2 games for the price of one will lure a lot more fans in Tulsa....plus, Arkansas-Pine Bluff will probably be there also.... :nerd:

That would be great to see an extra pair of games at Mabee should be lose in the first two rounds....maybe the lure of seeing 2 games for the price of one will lure a lot more fans in Tulsa....plus, Arkansas-Pine Bluff will probably be there also.... :nerd:

They probably wouldn't put Ark-PB back in the same quad as us, where we might meet again in the span of one week.

If we host, we would likely get one team from each of the other three quads - something along these lines:

ORU (host, from the Southwest quad)

Fresno State/SMU (from the West quad)

Florida International/Monmouth (from the Atlantic quad)

Albany/Brown (from the East quad)

If everything goes according to form in the first two rounds, the three consolation hosts would presumably be George Mason (#5 seed), ORU (#6 seed), and Colorado State (#7 seed).

Just to clarify, will ALL 12 teams in the Pre-season NIT that do not advance to NYC participate in another 4 team consolation tournament at a host school (to be determined later)? As an example, the team that goes to Stillwater and loses both nights will still play in another four-team bracket the following week?

Just to clarify, will ALL 12 teams in the Pre-season NIT that do not advance to NYC participate in another 4 team consolation tournament at a host school (to be determined later)? As an example, the team that goes to Stillwater and loses both nights will still play in another four-team bracket the following week?

Yep - every team in the event is guaranteed four games. Every team in the consolation pods will obviously have at least one loss; some will be 0-2.

Here's my prediction for the 3rd and 4th round pairings, assuming the top four seeds advance to New York (with each team's first week results)

CHAMPIONSHIP QUAD - New York City, NY

#1 Syracuse (East quad 2-0)

#2 Oklahoma State (Southwest quad 2-0)

#3 Stanford (West quad 2-0)

#4 Virginia Tech (Atlantic quad 2-0)

CONSOLATION QUAD "A" - Fairfax, VA

#5 George Mason (Atlantic Quad 1-1)

Southern Methodist (West quad 0-2)

Manhattan (East quad 1-1)

Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Southwest quad 0-2)

CONSOLATION QUAD "B" - Tulsa, OK

#6 Oral Roberts (Southwest quad 1-1)

Fresno State (West quad 1-1)

Florida International (Atlantic quad 1-1)

Brown (East quad 0-2)

CONSOLATION QUAD "C" - Fort Collins, CO

#7 Colorado State (West quad 1-1)

#8 Texas-San Antonio (Southwest quad 1-1)

Monmouth (Atlantic quad 0-2)

Albany (East quad 1-1)

Not a bad draw for ORU.....but TheEagleman still can see us beating OSU if we don't stumble vs. TX-San Antonio......you think those Sutton Bros. don't want some payback vs. the Cowboys?....it's a game we can win.... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

TU at 48?....this poll has to be a joke........ :nerd:

TU's a tough team to figure out: they won 19 games last year and finished second in C-USA, albeit with a less-than-glossy 11-5 league record. They return several players who saw significant time, but lost Justin Hurt's 20 points a game to graduation and sometimes-starting-point-guard Bryson Pope to transfer. They are hopeful Donte Medder can return from season-ending knee surgery last November to man the point this year, but if he falters, the job will be up for grabs. And their big men, while talented, were inconsistent at best this past season.

Not to mention the questions still lingering about Doug Wojcik's ability to coach and handle personnel.

In short, they have a lot of pieces to the puzzle, but it remains to be seen if they can be fit into anything resembling an NCAA at-large team.

they are killing it in recruiting. they picked up another commit last night from a guy that had multiple big 12 offers. if doug can learn to work well with others, he should be on to bigger and better things in a couple of years.

they are killing it in recruiting. they picked up another commit last night from a guy that had multiple big 12 offers. if doug can learn to work well with others, he should be on to bigger and better things in a couple of years.

The kid from Cedar Hill that you are talking about has zero stars on any recruiting website that I can find.

And remember, the recruits are the ones who claim to have received the "offers", not the schools. Some recruits either mistakenly or deliberately redefine interest on the part of a given school as a scholarship offer, when no such offer has actually been made.

Reminds me of my old days at McClure Elementary School, where throughout sixth grade I considered playground cutie Kelli Ritschell my girl friend...though she never even knew I cared. :inlove:

Reminds me of my old days at McClure Elementary School, where throughout sixth grade I considered playground cutie Kelli Ritschell my girl friend...though she never even knew I cared. :inlove:

Now the whole world knows - feel better? ;-)

Signing a four year 6'10" player with muscle is always a good thing. I don't really put much into the recruiting trackers like ESPN and Rivals... especially at a school our size. It's all about how a player develops once he gets here.

We do need another guard though. Replacing DoMo will be tough.

TU STINKS..... :puke: :puke: :puke:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oklahoma State weighs in at #44, and with "All-Everything-But-Probably-For-Just-One-Season" freshman Le'Bryan Nash, the Pokes could be a Sweet Sixteen sleeper.

If we face them in the second round of the NIT Preseason tourney in Stillwater, DoMo is going to have his hands full guarding the 6'-7" Nash:

#44 - Oklahoma State