new Big XII may not last long

ORUalum

It's possible that the Big XII will still pick-up Louisville, Cincinnati and WVU if BYU doesn't take the call. If the Big XII decides to include BYU (and BYU would accept), WVU could be scrambling for a place to go if the ACC and Big Ten would decide not to include WVU based on Pitt's and Penn State's disdain for the Mountaineers.

Bogus, we wish it was distain, and its not that at all for the Big Ten.... WVU is not an AAU school, which all B1G schools require. Also the ACC wants nothing to do with WVU, two moves have shown that. WVU's only hopes are moves with the SEC, or Big 12..... the Big Easy, or East is in shambles. Also i think you guys might like this Boston Globe report about ESPN which really surprised me

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15715357/did-espn-help-lead-big-easts-demise-you-can-bet-big-east-thinks-so/rss

The Big 12 has survived, but the Big East is in trouble...

the Big 10 admitted Nebraska despite losing its AAU status and has wanted Notre Dame for years and it is a non-AAU school. so non-AAU status is not a deal breaker with the Big 10.

if mizzou stays with the Big 12 and they expand back to 12 schools i think Louisville and WV would be great additions.

I wouldn't worry meatloaf. West Virginia has a lot of history going for it and WV will land up on its feet somewhere. The Big 12 would be crazy to not invite the Mountaineers. Besides, the Big East will certainly keep its AQ status.

What are your thoughts about the Big East going after Air Force and the other service academies?

Things don't look as good for for my Lobos and the Mountain West. The BCS cartel got what they wanted...a watered down and nearly irrelevent MW.

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

With the Big East falling the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big East take the service academies. I love the idea but feel they don't bring much to the conference. But the league wants to fill 6 positions. My list of teams I would love to see in the order I would like to see them:

Boise St. - Great football only member, western school establishing a western front with AFA

UCF - The Golden Knights are a great natural rival of USF, and brings 2 games to Florida a year, ik WVU has a strong foothold in WVU, 3 Offensive starters from Miramar. Would love to see UCF as an all-sports member

SMU/Houston combo - again a football only move, two major TV markets, i know they both play a smaller fiddle to every other Texas school, but again a recruiting mark in Texas

East Carolina - This would be an all-sports move, kinda bridges the gap to Florida, but also has a recent football history, like Louisville did when joining in 2004

FIU/La Tech - this maybe kinda off but think of this, LA Tech plays in the WAC, FIU's program is on the rise, reminds me much of South Florida. Once again if you take these guys, gotta take them both. Both are strong southern football states

The service academies lay down here for me, but if you take one, you take them all.

I know a few of these are out there, no Temple/Nova Philadelphia is Penn State/Pro Town, they wont show up period... UMASS is a small stadium, been there, they party hard but no one cares of football.

Anyone else have any takers, BYU isnt up there because they want greener pastures but if I was to be happy, I would need Boise, Texas schools, ECU, UCF, FIU

Temple is on the rise, Loaf.....and supposedly, Villanova wants to upgrade to D-1 football....both should be considered for full Big East membership......hey, are you still on Youngblood?..... :nerd:

Temple is on the rise, Loaf.....and supposedly, Villanova wants to upgrade to D-1 football....both should be considered for full Big East membership......hey, are you still on Youngblood?..... :nerd:

Unfortunately not and haven't been since 08 I'm currently finishing my undergrad at wvu i.e. The home front and eagleman uk that nova and temple can't draw fans...

• 2 weeks later...

West Virginia Close to Leaving Big East for Big 12

West Virginia is headed to the Big 12, according to a person with direct knowledge of the situation, a move that leaves the Big East with five football programs and an uncertain future. The person said Tuesday that the Mountaineers had “applied and are accepted,” leaving only legal entanglements from making the move official. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been formally announced.

West Virginia is the Big East’s flagship football program, and losing its consistently strong performance will hurt the conference as it seeks to hold on to its automatic Bowl Championship Series spot. With the departure of the Mountaineers, who must pay a $5 million exit fee, the conference’s football members are Rutgers, Louisville, South Florida, Connecticut and Cincinnati. That gives it the same number of football teams it had when Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech departed in 2003.

NYT - FULL ARTICLE

West Virginia to the Big 12?....this is getting absurd.....what's next?....Rutgers and South Florida to the WAC?..... :puke:

Very good move for West Virginia. Congrats to the Mountaineers and their fans. The Big 12 is a far superior football league when compared to the Big East.

I also find it interesting that the Big East leftovers might soon be joining forces with the Mountain West and C-USA in "The Alliance"

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

i agree jupiter. this is also good for the Big 12. considering all the options that were being floated, replacing aTm and Mizzou w/TCU and WVU is not bad at all. Big 12 got two very good football teams and one good basketball program.

I would argue that this is net wash or maybe even strengthens the conference a bit - at least in football. TCU is terrible in basketball and does not draw much of a crowd. Look for the Big 12 to continue going after BYU (national following) and another school (South Florida?) to round out the conference.

The MWC/CUSA/Big East "alliance" seems to be a function of desperaton. I can't believe it will last for long.

i think BYU is a long shot. do not think they will rush in to add another school w/their own network. BYU also refuses to play on Sundays -- makes it tough on Conf BB tournaments and weekend baseball series. have also heard on sports radio that their administration can be difficult to work with (Texas provides enough headaches already).

I never thought I'd see the day with us and the big 12 for the last 3 months we've heard rumors of the sec and now with the big 12 likely keeping us out bc of a state senator, it's really just becoming heart breaking...

Good luck and congrats Meatloaf on the Big 12 invite. WVA will do quite well, especially in hoops. There may be some growing pains in football for a while though.

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Loaf got a few grey hairs waiting for the invite.... Saying that there will be growing pains is not true at all, we gave LSU their best game of the year, and fell asleep in the 4th quarter... We can play with the big boys all day, Oklahoma fans know all about us playing with the big boys... Im sure they remember the 08 Fiesta Bowl :nerd:

Loaf got a few grey hairs waiting for the invite.... Saying that there will be growing pains is not true at all, we gave LSU their best game of the year, and fell asleep in the 4th quarter... We can play with the big boys all day, Oklahoma fans know all about us playing with the big boys... Im sure they remember the 08 Fiesta Bowl :nerd:

I didn't say WV would not be competitive. I was trying to make the point that the competition in the Big 12 will be a lot tougher than that of the Big East.

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!