new Big XII may not last long

ORUalum

the resentment for the shorthorns and their ESPN network is only going to grow w/the other nine teams...

LINK

it's time for Golden Eagle Broadcasting to start broadcasting high school basketball games of top recruits :D

College Football’s First Nuke: Burnt-Orange Glow

ESPN Longhorn Network VP Brown to KZNX on what those “best†high school football games - to be aired nationally on the Longhorn Network - will be:

“We’re going to follow the great [high school] players in the state. Obviously a kid like [unsigned Texas verbal commit] Johnathan Gray. I know people [Longhorn Network subscribers] are going to want to see Johnathan Gray, I can’t wait to see Johnathan Gray.

“Feedback from our audience is they just want to see Johnathan Gray run whether it’s 45-0 or not, they want to see more Johnathan Gray. So we’re going to do our best to accommodate them [Longhorn Network subscribers] and follow the kids who are being recruited by a lot of the Division I schools. Certainly some of the kids Texas has recruited and is recruiting and everyone else the Big 12 is recruiting.

“One other thing, you may see us, I know there’s a kid [unsigned Texas verbal commit] Connor Brewer from Chapparal high school in Arizona. We may try to get on one or two of their games as well so people [Longhorn Network subscribers] can see an incoming quarterback that’ll be part of the scene in Austin.“

ESPN’s move to nationally televise high school football games of unsigned, prospective University of Texas student-athletes - and prospects who are still up for grabs - gives the Longhorns the equivalent of college football recruiting’s nuclear bomb, with UT free to use it while vying for recruits against Big 12 opponents and beyond.

Texas A&M won't like this one bit. Not sure if they have a viable alternative, but with the Horns having their own network Texas could have a substantial recruiting advantage. If the NCAA allows this - and it looks they they are - look for other schools to add networks. Of course they will need ESPN (or Fox) to televise their content.

i'm not sure what ESPN was thinking. the Big Ten network works because you have content from a lot of schools and one conf football game every saturday. i don't see how they make their 300 million back showing minor sports, the mack brown show, and one or two longhorn football games. unless they require satellite and cable providers to buy the network w/the rest of their channels, why would any cable system outside of texas want the channel. i think that is how they keep ESPN classic on the air despite miserable ratings.

i think you are absolutely right Terry, the rest of the league will not take this sitting down. the Dallas Morning News has an item this morning that both aTm and OU are once again looking into joining the SEC.

Kanasas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor have to be really concerned about a possible breakup of the Big 12. I assume they have been working on contingency plans - whatever they might be.

How do you guys see OU and OSU? Would one leave the Big 12 without the other. You keep hearing OU and Texas A&M to the SEC. Where would Ok. State go?

Side note: Looks like UNM could face both OU and OSU in hoops this season. OSU for sure in OKC and maybe OU in Anaheim.

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Not sure that OU could leave the Big 12 (sic) without their in-state brother. I suspect that the politicians would get involved to try to stop it - but don't know if they could. If OU and TAMU leave the Big 12 for the SEC, Texas either follows them or goes independent. The rest of the schools would scramble to fill the the (very big) holes and re-constitute the conference.

OU and OSU both gone?....UT and TAMU also?....pretty soon the League will be back where they started....as the Big 8..... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
Texas has the Longhorn Network. Texas A&M has the SEC. Aggieyell.com is reporting that the Aggies have cast their lot with and have been accepted by the Southeastern Conference

that did not take long. will be interesting to see what OU and OSU do.

In addition to Texas A&M to SEC, ESPN reports SEC also pursuing Missouri, Clemson and Florida State. No mention of Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. That almost tells me they turned down any offer from the SEC.

Could OU and OSU be Pac-12 bound? I'd hate to be Baylor, Iowa State and Texas Tech. Maybe they join the Mountain West. Certainly Kansas and Kansas State will wind up somewhere possibly to the Big East after two of their schools (maybe West Virginia and Pitt switch to the ACC. I wonder if TCU regrets jumping to the Big East now?

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

This is all getting ridiculous..... :blink:

Looks like no SEC invite for TAMU after all....very embarrassing for the Aggies who were all dressed up and ready to go....but alas..... :oops:

heard on sports radio this morning that aTm sources are still saying they will be accepted in the next 3 weeks. there is a 1.2 billion tv contract that can be voided if aTm leaves the big 12. the SEC did not want to look like the instigating party and thus susceptible to litigation. aTm still needs to have their regents meeting to approve of a move, meet w/tx legislature, and apply for admission to the SEC. the SEC also probably wants to figure out who will be the 14th team.

now if an a month they still have not gotten it done, aTm will look awfully foolish.

• 4 weeks later...

Baylor may be the only thing holding up major conference realignment

Chip Brown

Orangebloods.com Columnist

10 AM - Was just told by two Big 12 administrators the SEC now wants all nine schools in the Big 12 to sign a waiver saying they will not sue the Southeastern Conference over the depature of Texas A&M to the SEC.

And I'm told the Big 12 schools will not sign those waivers.

Texas A&M has confirmed to Orangebloods.com that a celebration planned for today in College Station to announce Texas A&M as the 13th member has been postponed indefinitely until the threat of litigation can be resolved.

"At this time, we do not intend on making an announcement today," said A&M spokesman Jason Cook. "But the situation is extremely fluid."

Things could get sticky because a letter on Sept. 2 from Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe to SEC commissioner Mike Slive said that the Big 12 would waive the right to any litigation against the SEC as long as he Aggies were members of the SEC by 5 p.m. on Sept. 8 (Thursday).

Beebe sent a letter back to Slive on Tuesday saying the waiver in that Sept. 2 letter applied only to the Big 12 Conference and was not binding to the Big 12's member schools.

The SEC was contacted on Tuesday by lawyers representing Baylor that BU did not intend to waive its right to sue the SEC, sources said.

The SEC then admitted Texas A&M as the 13th member of the conference contingent upon the SEC being released from any legal liability by the nine member schools in the Big 12.

And I'm being told there's no way all the schools will sign such a waiver.

Stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

i know this hasnt been brought up for a while, but here on the Homefront in Morgantown, WV....

It looks like the Big East is obviously folding, but the thing about it is... West Virginia is going to have no place to go, much worry is here on campus, so have hope, most do not, we will see where it takes us.

i know this hasnt been brought up for a while, but here on the Homefront in Morgantown, WV....

It looks like the Big East is obviously folding, but the thing about it is... West Virginia is going to have no place to go, much worry is here on campus, so have hope, most do not, we will see where it takes us.

It's possible that the Big XII will still pick-up Louisville, Cincinnati and WVU if BYU doesn't take the call. If the Big XII decides to include BYU (and BYU would accept), WVU could be scrambling for a place to go if the ACC and Big Ten would decide not to include WVU based on Pitt's and Penn State's disdain for the Mountaineers.