KS Big Man "Getting Interest" From ORU

Old Titan

Two words that in hindsight soured me forever on "YouTube" highlight videos: Hunter McClintock. :doh:

This is veering a bit off- topic, but there is no question that HM's play at ORU was inigmatic. From what I understand, his performance in practices in the early going was promising. But after a serious injury and sitting out a year, He never really got it going again. Was he overhyped, or did the inury doom his chances? Seems hard to tell at this point.

After seeing OT's post I did a little checking to see where Hunter landed after leaving ORU - found him on the roster at D II Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory, NC. He's listed as a sophomore.

http://lrbears.com/r...r.asp?sportID=2

Keep in mind, before he arrived at ORU we were seeing things like these on the internet (these are copied and pasted from a search of his name:

"Hunter McClintock-The Next Pete Maravich? NBA Forum"

"I do know that watching these videos of this kid, man...makes me soooooooooo want to see Hunter McClintock in a Kentucky uniform..."

"Are you ready for the newest YouTube phenomenon that could one day very soon end up a UK player? Well if so, then meet 2008 point guard, Durham, NC’s Hunter McClintock. If you watch the videos below, you will see why people are calling him the “new Pistol Pete”"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUalum

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• SOLO_Gold

those last two videos above look like church league games or AC pick up games. i'm w/OT i'll never again get excited about a player because of youtube videos.

who would have guessed that dribbling two basketballs between your legs while running would not translate to D-1 basketball?

Hunter seemed like a really good kid.....they say it takes 18 mos to 2 yrs to come back fully from major ACL surgery....we never saw him at 100% at ORU....TheEagleman hopes that the kid does well at Lenoir-Rhyne..... :clap:

Byford Has some upside with good mechanics around the basket. The others seem so so. With one big in committment and Byford, we will be ok for next year. Anderson would be a great get. It will be interesting to see how things shake out! :fubar:

I'm with OT on videos. I don't even look at videos anymore. If someone has seen a player play, I will listen, but I don't feel like a have a way to put the video that I watch into a correct context. In other words:" This means what in a real game?"

those last two videos above look like church league games or AC pick up games. i'm w/OT i'll never again get excited about a player because of youtube videos.

who would have guessed that dribbling two basketballs between your legs while running would not translate to D-1 basketball?

I think that's good for all of us. I'm not taking any Youtube videos or ORU Slam N' Jam to get excited about. I remember we saw transfer Curtis Allen jump out of the gym in a dunk contest at the midnight madness and we thought he was gonna be the next great player but he never panned out to anything. Let's wait to see how they do against real competition.

When I first saw HM in person (standing in line at the 81st & Lewis WalMart), and realized that he was roughly the same height and weight as my 12-year-old son, I worried that he would have a problem with the physicality of D-1 basketball, especially on the defensive end.

Nothing he did in the following months changed my mind much.