Summit League Commissioner's Cup

ORUJason

I believe that all the Summit League competition for the 2010-2011 year has been completed for about 3 weeks, since ORU lost to Dallas Baptist to end the TCU regional.

So, I still haven't heard who won the Summit League's Commissioner's Cup. Haven't they usually announced that by now?

I believe that all the Summit League competition for the 2010-2011 year has been completed for about 3 weeks, since ORU lost to Dallas Baptist to end the TCU regional.

So, I still haven't heard who won the Summit League's Commissioner's Cup. Haven't they usually announced that by now?

South Dakota State won their first Commissioner's Cup while ORU won the Men's trophy and NDSU won the women's trophy. You can read more about it here.

South Dakota State won their first Commissioner's Cup while ORU won the Men's trophy and NDSU won the women's trophy. You can read more about it here.

In a nutshell, ORU finished in fourth place behind SDSU, OU, and NDSU, in that order. ORU has the disadvantage of not competing in three league-sponsored sports - men's and women's swimming and diving, and softball. With so many programs entering the fray that compete in all sports, the days of our domination of the Commissioner's Cup are most likely over.

Couldn't disagree more!

It was simply a down year for ORU Athletics. We only won 2 league titles: Baseball and Women's Golf.

If we can ever return to form is a just a couple of the so-called "Tier 2" sports, and/or manage to win a basketball or volleyball title like we have done before, we will recapture the All-Sports award.

Having so many schools participate in so many events should actually help us, if they can manage to knock each other off and prevent one school from dominating.

Couldn't disagree more!

It was simply a down year for ORU Athletics. We only won 2 league titles: Baseball and Women's Golf.

If we can ever return to form is a just a couple of the so-called "Tier 2" sports, and/or manage to win a basketball or volleyball title like we have done before, we will recapture the All-Sports award.

Having so many schools participate in so many events should actually help us, if they can manage to knock each other off and prevent one school from dominating.

I guess time will tell. Seems to me like programs that compete in the additional sports well have access to points that ORU won't.

I've always felt that the Summit League should even the playing field by including the same number of sports for each school in the calculation. The schools that offer a larger number of sports would total up their best results from the same number of sports, so they would still be at a advantage (for example, a school that offers nine men's sports could drop their scores from their three worst performances, while a school that fields the minimum of six teams would have to count all six). But to compare a school that offers 19 sports to those that offer 14 is just not equitable.

If this approach had been followed in 2010-11, NDSU would have won the Commissioner's Cup going away (by 5 points) instead of finishing third and SDSU would have finished fourth instead of first. The Bison had an amazing year, finishing first, second or third in 10 of the 14 sports they offered... and yet that doesn't win the Cup???

And, to prove a point of how bad the Leathernecks are... how can you finish 9th of 10 teams (beating only lowly Centenary) when you have the distinct advantage of offering more sports than any other Summit school? WIU fields teams in all 19 Summit sports and yet fell well behind schools that compete in only 14 or 15 sports.... how embarrassing! Worse yet... nineteen teams and NO titles in 2010-11. Ouch!

• 3 weeks later...

I've always felt that the Summit League should even the playing field by including the same number of sports for each school in the calculation. The schools that offer a larger number of sports would total up their best results from the same number of sports, so they would still be at a advantage (for example, a school that offers nine men's sports could drop their scores from their three worst performances, while a school that fields the minimum of six teams would have to count all six). But to compare a school that offers 19 sports to those that offer 14 is just not equitable.

If this approach had been followed in 2010-11, NDSU would have won the Commissioner's Cup going away (by 5 points) instead of finishing third and SDSU would have finished fourth instead of first. The Bison had an amazing year, finishing first, second or third in 10 of the 14 sports they offered... and yet that doesn't win the Cup???

And, to prove a point of how bad the Leathernecks are... how can you finish 9th of 10 teams (beating only lowly Centenary) when you have the distinct advantage of offering more sports than any other Summit school? WIU fields teams in all 19 Summit sports and yet fell well behind schools that compete in only 14 or 15 sports.... how embarrassing! Worse yet... nineteen teams and NO titles in 2010-11. Ouch!

The Summit League probably doesn't calculate it as you suggest because they would still like to encourage schools to offer as many sponsored sports as possible.

I agree with OldTitan, if volleyball placed like it usually does in the 1st or 2nd slot, and the soccer teams moved up even a slot each, we win the cup. It is good for the conference that the standings are so close for the cup which shows that several teams are very competitive and that many schools can head into each season thinking they have a chance to win the cup. Congratulations to SDSU for this year. We'll have to take it back next year.