1 Less Player

dchief42

Angsomwine wont be back next season, most of yal already figured this would happen, but now that we have so many people in the mix, there is not any more room, He is looking at other schools now, but he may just stay and finish up at ORU. Kinda sad, Chris is a good guy, we are just so loaded

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• bballmangc

• ORUalum

it was a bizarre signing to begin with, but it sure does not seem very fair. gotta feel sorry for the guy.

Too bad for Chris. Would have like to see him play on the court; he reminded me a bit of Kendrick Moore.

it was a bizarre signing to begin with, but it sure does not seem very fair. gotta feel sorry for the guy.

My son feels very frustrated by this type of situation. He thinks it's very unfair to pull the rug on a kid after initially recruiting and bringing him here in the first place.

I can understand it from the coaches' perspective, but you've got to feel bad for the player, who showed up here with high hopes of being part of the team.

I agree, I think most of us would do the same though if put in the same situation...lets say hypothetically we can get a 4star Center here but we have to let a project guy go like Chris, Who are you going to take...We didnt get any 4 star center, but we got a forward/guard transfer from Utah lol

Scholarships are year-to-year propositions.

Just as a guy like Mikey Manghum or Earl McClellan can play their way into them, guys at the end of the bench run the risk of playing their way out of them.

Same thing as in high school: if you're not good enough to keep your spot on the roster, you can get cut. At least at a D-1 college, there are other opportunities (paricularly at a lower level), as opposed to high school where there are fewer options, especially if you're from a rural area.

Ultimately, it's not unlike many other areas of entertainment or business: you always run the risk of the "next big thing" toppling your name from the marquee.

In the final analysis, it's your performance that determines your value...

Unfortunately this end of college athletics is never really talked about out loud. Most coaches probably don't say during the recruiting process that hey if it ends up you're not good enough and we get someone better we will pull your scholarship. It's unfortunate that is the way it is especially for someone who wants to be there, doesn't get into trouble, works hard, and does all the right things.

this leaves us pretty thin down low - losing morton and chris in one season. we're in trouble if damen gets fouls early in a game

Scholarships are year-to-year propositions.

Just as a guy like Mikey Manghum or Earl McClellan can play their way into them, guys at the end of the bench run the risk of playing their way out of them.

Same thing as in high school: if you're not good enough to keep your spot on the roster, you can get cut. At least at a D-1 college, there are other opportunities (paricularly at a lower level), as opposed to high school where there are fewer options, especially if you're from a rural area.

Ultimately, it's not unlike many other areas of entertainment or business: you always run the risk of the "next big thing" toppling your name from the marquee.

In the final analysis, it's your performance that determines your value...

+1 nicely put..exactly right..does anyone know if mikey is coming back next season

this leaves us pretty thin down low - losing morton and chris in one season. we're in trouble if damen gets fouls early in a game

Still not sure if they would have played that much. Tim would have played even less with Craion back and Chris still may have never gotten off the bench. If they had a chance to get significant playing time I doubt they would have (or been asked to) transfer.

+1 nicely put..exactly right..does anyone know if mikey is coming back next season

Yep....and he's on scholarship.

And any kid who signs on with a D-1 school HAS to realize that his future beyond his freshman year depends on his ability to cut it on the court, in the classroom, and in the school community.

Anyone who thinks they can get by year-to-year with below-expectation results in those areas is deluding themselves.

Is it on the coaches a little as well to make sure they bring players in that are up to standards and expectations that they want so they can avoid signing a guy knowing they will recruit over him and cut him the following year? Why fill up all your scholarships with second tier players when you know if someone better comes along you will cut their scholarship (I realize this happens at every school not just ours).

Very strange.....not a shocker but TheEagleman is also wondering why ORU signed this guy in the first place....the JC he played at here in suburban Philadelphia is PATHETIC....Harcum JC isn't even on the basketball radar around here....in fact, until a few years ago it was an all female school....sounds like Chris was a good kid, though.....sorry we never got a shot to see what he could do....maybe send him over to TU?.... :razz:

i don't fault coach sutton for cutting the guy loose when there are better players available. i get that this is how it works. my point was that he probably should have never been signed in the first place and you have to feel for a guy who apparently did everything right, but was not good enough.

as i said back in september of last year when he was being touted as the "king of the aerobics center"...

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

don't the "king of the Aerobics Center" guys usually end up at rogers state? hope i'm wrong, but i'd guess that is the more likely outcome then him becoming a significant contributor at ORU. the numbers don't lie..."averaged 3.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game while appearing in all 29 games (28 starts) for the Rangers."

I feel confident that the initial signing of Angsomwine was yet another instance of the age-old reasoning behind many a lapse in judgement:

"It seemed like a good idea at the time." :worried:

Most of us questioned the Angsomewine signing when it was announced last summer...any player who averages less than 4 points and rebounds a game signing with a D-1 school from a poor JC program for a full ride has to raise eyebrows.....somebody must have had photos of somebody..... :lol:

Tulsa World Confirmation:

Basketball: ORU player leaving

By Staff and Wire Reports

Published: 6/23/2011 6:18 AM

Last Modified: 6/23/2011 6:18 AM

Chris Angsomwine, a 6-foot-9 junior forward, is leaving the Oral Roberts University basketball program, head coach Scott Sutton confirmed.

TW LINK

• 1 month later...

According to Twitter, @TreyCoxxx is on the ORU basketball team. His bio says, "Plays basketball for Oral Roberts University...#F.O.E"

A couple of his supporters showed him some love on Twitter earlier today.

@taayharris: "So proud of @Trey_Coxxx for being an official member of the ORU basketball team #notawalkon #baller"

@NicoleJCox: "Proud of my brother for being an ORU basketball player! Way to live your dream!! @Trey_Coxxx"

Trey Cox -- RIVALS PAGE

Does anyone know anything about this?