Dallas Beeler

ORUalum

it sounds like he is advancing fast in the cubs system...skips High A ball for AA

Newcomer shines with all-stars

Adam Greene, sports@knoxnews.com

Posted June 7, 2011 at 11:38 p.m.

SEVIERVILLE - A team-record 12 Tennessee Smokies were named to the Southern League North All-Star team Tuesday, but the newest member of the team stole the show.

Pitcher Dallas Beeler, just called up from the Low-A Peoria Chiefs Saturday, pitched six scoreless innings in Tennessee's 6-0 victory over Jackson at Smokies Park.

Tennessee (37-22) pushed its North lead back to two games over the Generals (35-24) with 11 games left before the All-Star break.

"I don't know if this was a must-win, but it was huge," Smokies manager Brian Harper said. "You can't say enough about Beeler. He was outstanding and did everything. He was throwing strikes and hardly threw any pitches. He looked like he belonged."

Beeler made both his Smokies Park and Class AA baseball debut. The 21-year-old right-hander showed why the Chicago Cubs let him skip High-A ball. Beeler (1-0) spread seven hits across six innings with no walks and four strikeouts

"It was a huge surprise to me to come up here," Beeler said. "I tried to go out and be aggressive with the strike zone and let the ball do the work for me. It did its job tonight."

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jun/07/newcomer-shines-with-all-stars/