ORU vs DBU, Game 2

ManiacAlum

Tough loss...probably was a mistake to go with Gonzalez but hindsight is easy....still a great weekend which we never thought would happen...TheEagleman would love to see DBU in the CWS...they just might do it....we had a huge chance and let it get away....oh well, TheEagleman is used to disappointment.... :'(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUJason

• Bogus Smith

• ManiacAlum

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to hear what Coach Walton had to say about Gonzalez last night....his performance in both losses over the weekend was a killer....not blaming the losses on the kid, but he never showed any signs of blowing up like that during the season.....it's a shame...I hope he can shake it off for next year....the young man has good stuff.... :worried:

Would love to hear what Coach Walton had to say about Gonzalez last night....his performance in both losses over the weekend was a killer....not blaming the losses on the kid, but he never showed any signs of blowing up like that during the season.....it's a shame...I hope he can shake it off for next year....the young man has good stuff.... :worried:

For this season, Eagleman, I have to disagree. Gonzalez never showed in any games that really mattered except the two games against SDSU (and those only mattered because we let easy games with WIU, NDSU, Oakland and IPFW get us in a hole with our conference record). When Gonzalez pitched against Southern Illinois, Arizona State, Missouri State, Arkansas, TCU and DBU he didn't show why he was an 11th round draft pick.

To Gonzo's defense, he did show nicely at Baylor and Texas, but those were really the only "star" performances that I would credit him with. This isn't to say that Cheech won't be a stud pitcher for us in the next two years, but he definitely showed that he was a freshman and was not ready for prime time. His POY honor was primarily due to his play against Summit League hitting (or the lack thereof). If the major leagues were made up of players from WIU, SUU and Oakland, Cheech may have a future, but he has a lot of work to do in the offseason getting his repertoire of pitches to an "above average" state if he is going to make it to the show (which you would think a #11 round pitcher would do).

I don't mean to rag on the kid, but I had no confidence that he could pitch well against quality opponents. I think that Cheech has a lot of potential, but that and 99 cents will get you a cup of coffee at QuikTrip.

If all else fails, at least his mom will be entertaining for the next three years (because he won't get drafted in two years).

Here are the quotes from the game and what Coach Walton had to say about Cheech and the game.

That's quite an honest assessment, Bogus....I have to admit my only two views of the kid were vs. TCU and DBU.....enough said....so....they still have QuikTrip in Tulsa???... :ugeek:

That's quite an honest assessment, Bogus....I have to admit my only two views of the kid were vs. TCU and DBU.....enough said....so....they still have QuikTrip in Tulsa???... :ugeek:

OHHHH YEAHHHH!!!! They're on nearly every corner. Tulsa is the "world headquarters" for QT.

A while back I heard Clark Howard, a radio host out of Atlanta, say that Quik Trip was the largest gas retailer in the country. He may have meant independent gas retailers, but he didn't say that.

FWIW.

Yep, QuikTrip is quite the corporate citizen in Tulsa and the South. They're making a lot of inroads in KC, Dallas, Phoenix & Atlanta. A "Top 20" in the Best Places to Work in America category, to boot.

OHHHH YEAHHHH!!!! They're on nearly every corner. Tulsa is the "world headquarters" for QT.

A while back I heard Clark Howard, a radio host out of Atlanta, say that Quik Trip was the largest gas retailer in the country. He may have meant independent gas retailers, but he didn't say that.

FWIW.

I think you're right, Doc. QT does so much gasoline (especially in Tulsa) that they can create the market price for what gasoline is sold in the markets that they operate. If you go to Dallas, Phoenix or Tulsa (those are the only markets I have been to recently), they are the lowest gas prices in their area.

TheEagleman remembers QT from his years in Tulsa but that was over 3 decades ago.....whatever happened to Eagleman favorites like Casa Bonita Mexican restaurant?....Shotgun Sam's Pizza?...Across the Street Restaurant?...Michaels (best burgers and cheesecake ever!)...Rustler's Steakhouse and Der WeinerSchneitzel Hot Dogs?..... :grin::-D:grin:

TheEagleman remembers QT from his years in Tulsa but that was over 3 decades ago.....whatever happened to Eagleman favorites like Casa Bonita Mexican restaurant?....Shotgun Sam's Pizza?...Across the Street Restaurant?...Michaels (best burgers and cheesecake ever!)...Rustler's Steakhouse and Der WeinerSchneitzel Hot Dogs?..... :grin::-D:grin:

All gone, except for Casa Bonita, I think. I haven't been there for YEARS - my boys used to like to go there when they were young - but I think it's still in operation.

All gone, except for Casa Bonita, I think. I haven't been there for YEARS - my boys used to like to go there when they were young - but I think it's still in operation.

TMH, the sequel of Casa Bonita closed about a year or so ago. All of those establishments have gone to restaurant heaven. :angel:

Ah man.....Casa Bonita was an Eagleman all time favorite....used to go there with my brother in law and our wives and chow down...kept those flags going up all night for refills....we would starve ourselves all day before going to Casa Bonita...it was only about $3.95 for all you could eat back around 1975......Shotgun Sam's pizza was another of my spots....they had good pizza and cold beer. My Soph year we went there with our sister wing for a big bash....my best buddy and I were sitting at the very end and we ordered a couple dark brews and put them in those red plastic soda glasses that Shotgun Sams used so the beer looked like Pepsi....after a couple rounds, our RA got wise and came over and quietly threatened us if we continued to order Alcohol....those where the days... :twisted: .....TheEagleman also spent two semesters my junior year as a busboy at Across The Street....they had great food including those chili/cheese covered Fritos that were so good they should have been illegal...also fantastic burgers and great chocolate fudge pie for dessert....but I hated working there....the manager was a total A-hole and he spent half his time screwing waitresses in his office.....do any of you guys remember these establishments?.....sorry to hear they are all gone.... :'(

Ah man.....Casa Bonita was an Eagleman all time favorite....used to go there with my brother in law and our wives and chow down...kept those flags going up all night for refills....we would starve ourselves all day before going to Casa Bonita...it was only about $3.95 for all you could eat back around 1975......Shotgun Sam's pizza was another of my spots....they had good pizza and cold beer. My Soph year we went there with our sister wing for a big bash....my best buddy and I were sitting at the very end and we ordered a couple dark brews and put them in those red plastic soda glasses that Shotgun Sams used so the beer looked like Pepsi....after a couple rounds, our RA got wise and came over and quietly threatened us if we continued to order Alcohol....those where the days... :twisted: .....TheEagleman also spent two semesters my junior year as a busboy at Across The Street....they had great food including those chili/cheese covered Fritos that were so good they should have been illegal...also fantastic burgers and great chocolate fudge pie for dessert....but I hated working there....the manager was a total A-hole and he spent half his time screwing waitresses in his office.....do any of you guys remember these establishments?.....sorry to hear they are all gone.... :'(

I didn't arrive in Tulsa till 1982, and even by then some of the places that were popular when my wife came to ORU in 1977 were gone. We used to like to go to a German place on Harvard, near the Broken Arrow Expressway. The food was incredible, and tons of it. But it only lasted a few years, and then it was gone, too. Charlie Mitchell's was a favorite, too. There were several around town, including one near ORU, owned by the Scottish-born soccer player that came here when to play soccer (or was it to coach?) when Tulsa had a pro team. When it comes to restaurants, the only constant is change, it seems. I could give you a long list of restaurants that have come and gone since I've lived here.

I'm sure that much has changed since 1977 when i was last in T-town....I can only imagine....my first apartment with my ex-wife was at 5826 So. Owasso...they were brand new...I think we were the 2nd renters in our unit...Fairmont Terrace Apts....I hear they are a disaster now....my neighbor was ORU basketball star Alvin Scott (Terry's brother) and his new wife....Alvin and I would walk out to 61st and Peoria to a place called Pizza Inn where they had a lunch buffet all you could eat for $2......those were some good times....gas was 39 cents a gallon.... :blink: