Super Regional chances

Parker228

Putting the cart before the horse but if Cal beats Baylor twice and we win our regional the games should be in Tulsa because Cal does not have the stadium capacity to host a Super Regional. It will be at Baylor if the Bears win but we are familiar with Waco playing series there the last two years. Go Golden Eagles, Go Cal Bears!!!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• ManiacAlum

• Bogus Smith

According to John Hoover with the Tulsa World, ORU would have an opportunity to bid on hosting the Super Regional in Tulsa, regardless of who wins Monday night in Houston (Cal beat Baylor 8-0 Sunday night to force a winner-take-all Monday game).

Not sure who determines the winning bid, but I'm just glad to hear that (Lord willing) if we win Monday night, we are taking the proper steps to give our guys the best opportunity possible to advance to Omaha.

Putting the cart before the horse but if Cal beats Baylor twice and we win our regional the games should be in Tulsa because Cal does not have the stadium capacity to host a Super Regional. It will be at Baylor if the Bears win but we are familiar with Waco playing series there the last two years. Go Golden Eagles, Go Cal Bears!!!!!

I am about 10 minutes from Cal's campus. There are plenty of other stadiums they could play in around here. But i would love to fly out to Tulsa or waco for a game or two.

if Cal and ORU win it sounds like ORU would get the super regional according to BA.

Fort Worth Regional

No. 4 Oral Roberts over No. 1 Texas Christian, 8-4 (TCU eliminated)

Oral Roberts over No. 3 Dallas Baptist, 7-2 (forcing Monday rematch)

TCU ace Kyle Winkler walked off the mound in the first inning, grabbing the triceps on his right arm, and Oral Roberts knocked around the TCU bullpen to pull off the upset. The big blow was Chris Elder's grand slam in the sixth inning, which turned a 4-3 ORU lead into an 8-3 lead. Elder went 0-for-0 with five walks and two runs scored in the nightcap, and the three hitters behind him combined for six hits and seven RBIs in support of senior lefthander Mark Guest (9 IP, 5 H, 2 ER), who entered the game with just 16 innings under his belt this season. The two teams will face off again Monday with a trip to super regionals on the line—and if Cal beats Baylor, it stands to reason that the ORU/DBU winner is likely to host it because of facility advantages (such as lights).

if Cal and ORU win it sounds like ORU would get the super regional according to BA.

Fort Worth Regional

No. 4 Oral Roberts over No. 1 Texas Christian, 8-4 (TCU eliminated)

Oral Roberts over No. 3 Dallas Baptist, 7-2 (forcing Monday rematch)

TCU ace Kyle Winkler walked off the mound in the first inning, grabbing the triceps on his right arm, and Oral Roberts knocked around the TCU bullpen to pull off the upset. The big blow was Chris Elder's grand slam in the sixth inning, which turned a 4-3 ORU lead into an 8-3 lead. Elder went 0-for-0 with five walks and two runs scored in the nightcap, and the three hitters behind him combined for six hits and seven RBIs in support of senior lefthander Mark Guest (9 IP, 5 H, 2 ER), who entered the game with just 16 innings under his belt this season. The two teams will face off again Monday with a trip to super regionals on the line—and if Cal beats Baylor, it stands to reason that the ORU/DBU winner is likely to host it because of facility advantages (such as lights).

You're kidding!!! How GREAT would it be to play a Super Regional at JLJ!!! I hope that Mike Carter is tuned in to that potential. I'm sure he is! WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY!!

Baseball superstitions are way too well established for us to be discussing this before tonight's game. Let's win tonight and the rest will work itself out.

Although, feel free to root for Cal.

Baseball superstitions are way too well established for us to be discussing this before tonight's game. Let's win tonight and the rest will work itself out.

Amen, Eagle!! I would be just as happy playing in Baylor next weekend as I would Berkley or Tulsa. There are only 16 teams that will still be playing college baseball after tonight and I'm hoping that ORU is one of them!

Superstitions don't prepare a facility for national exposure in four days. Superstitions are for the guys on the field - hopefully the guys running the show are getting things ready, just in case . . .

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying we better be ready just in case.

Yeah, we still have a tough game to play tonight vs. DBU....they won't roll over....but TheEagleman can't believe the publicity ORU is getting all over internet sports websites today after these 3 wins over the weekend....there will be a lot more if we can make it to the super regionals...and money can't buy the publicity for ORU if we were to make it to the CWS and play live on ESPN or ESPN2....it would be worth it for the athletic dept. to bid on hosting next weekend should we win tonight.... :ugeek:

DBU has to go to Santa Clara, CA to play their Super Regional with Cal. I wonder if we would have been dispatched to Santa Clara (not Berkley) if we were the winner last night?? :rolleyes:

DBU has to go to Santa Clara, CA to play their Super Regional with Cal. I wonder if we would have been dispatched to Santa Clara (not Berkley) if we were the winner last night?? :rolleyes:

I must have misunderstood - but I thought sure Geoff said at the beginning of his broadcast that the winner of the ORU vs. DBU Championship WOULD BE hosting the winner of Baylor vs. Cal.

He must have said they had a chance of hosting - but I thought otherwise.

Actually, that makes me feel A LOT better about the loss. I could hardly deal with the thought that we could have been hosting a Super Regional had we won.

ORU had raised the $35,000 "fee" to begin the bid process before Monday nights game and was going to be aggressive in their approach to get the Super. DBU has bleachers and was basically one step above a Summit League team in terms of their field plus I don't know their finances. So with that you better find out where those tums are!

Some of the stuff you may have heard regarding hosting was not accurate:

1. It was never a lock that Baylor WOULD have hosted ORU or DBU, though the Bears would've been an overwhelming favorite to win the bid.

2. It was never a lock that Cal WOULDN'T host, even if ORU had won - it was just hoped they either couldn't or wouldn't try to. The fact they are hosting in Santa Clara indicates either they wanted it more than some folks thought, or they got it by default due to DBU's lack of facilities.

ORU DID submit a very competitive bid - whether it would have beaten out Baylor or Cal, we may never know.

Ugh, either way, just sickening :puke:

Would Cal, as the higher seed, be given every opportunity to find an appropriate facility before it would be given to the lower seed? Santa Clara's park isn't nearly as nice as JLJ.

In any other situation I would be cheering for DBU, but Cal needs to win this Super or there will be some sleepless nights.

TheEagleman will be rooting for the underdog Dallas Baptist....yeah, it could have been us but it isn't.....I still think it would be very cool to see an underdog small school like DBU taking on the big boys in Omaha.....would have been even cooler if ORU were going......still, our guys gave us more than we could have hoped for....we beat all 3 teams in the regional....who would have thought?....we just ran out of gas....Dallas Baptist beat us fair and square.... :ugeek:

Well, it could be worse, like Baylor worse, blowing a 3-run lead in the 9th inning. But at least they have a CWS appearance in the last 5 or so years.

I wish I could take the higher road, but I just can't do it :|

We outscored them 12-5 outside of that nightmare first inning in Game 2, not counting our 4 in the bottom half. They were hitting .211 in the regional coming into that game...in hindsight, we could have probably cruised handily going bullpen-by-committee rather than trying to shut them down.

In the Walton era (eight seasons), ORU has 15 wins in NCAA Regional play, including six finals appearances. In that span, Oklahoma has 13 wins, TCU has 10, and now Dallas Baptist has 3. (Of the other area schools-- OSU has 10 wins, Wichita State 13, only Arkansas has more with 16.) That's with OU hosting 3 regionals, TCU hosting 2, DBU getting one in it's backyard...and ORU having to travel to Austin, Clemson, Lincoln, Tempe, etc.. I think we've paid our dues.

So, as the weekend progressed, it was obvious the opportunity of a program's history was falling into place. ORU steamrolls through OU, TCU and DBU in consecutive games by a margin of 22-6. National seed Rice- OUT, Baylor- OUT. No local teams left. A nationally televised home Super Regional was calling. Freaking OMAHA was calling. And it sets up for...Dallas Baptist?? Because of one bad inning??

On the "Pierre Dukes Disappointment Meter", on a scale of 1-10, Dukes' shot in the Mid-Con final in Tulsa was probably a 10. Tyler Colvin's walk-off Grand Slam in the Clemson Super Regional was probably a 15. This is around 100.

Sports just aint fair, man ;(

Sorry for the rant.

I have to agree that this loss really, really hurts. While this team exceeded our expectations from April, they had a unique opportunity to make a name for themselves. The door was open and we did not step through. It would be interesting to hear Walton's thoughts and perspective.