ORU vs. Dallas Baptist U.

theeagleman5

Yeah, no matter what happens tonight, this ORU team is one to be very proud of....they have played tremendously the past 5 weeks and are 18-4 since May 1...Dallas Baptist will not roll over and play dead in this regional final...it's going to be a dandy tonight....TheEagleman wonders if Gonzalez will be on the hill tonight and how much he has left in the tank....he's only pitched two innings in the past 8 days....who knows, maybe he can go 7 or 8 innings... :ugeek:

"WHAT A DAY FOR SPORTS IN OKLAHOMA!!"

Seriously, these last two days rival the 2006 regional in Fayetteville as "greatest weekend ever" in the "Golden Eagle" era of ORU baseball (post-Cochell).

But remember: that 2006 bunch was a great team doing what many thought was possible, and some even expected.

This team, though?? Seriously, whoda thunk it??

What they have accomplished the past four weekends has been nothing short of unbelievable:

1. Taking 3-of-4 games from league-leading SDSU to storm back into contention in league play.

2. Sweeping Southern Utah in four games to clinch a No. 1 seed in Sioux Falls and the right to host next year in Tulsa.

3. Plowing through the field in Sioux Falls, culminating in a dramatic extra-innings win in the championship off an All-American reliever.

4. Eliminating not one but TWO 2010 College World Series participants (and 2011 Top Twenty fixtures) in the Fort Worth regional in OU and TCU, and doing so in style.

5. Bringing red-hot Dallas Baptist to a screetching halt in tonight's game, forcing a winner-take-all Monday night game.

No matter what happens Monday night, this team has WAY overachieved from what I thought it was capable of a month ago - WAY overachieved!!! Props to the ORU players and coaches for believing in themselves and making this past month so memorable for ORU baseball fans. NICE JOB!!

Man, OT, you stole my thunder!!! I was going to make that VERY SAME POINT this AM about the past four weeks (although, admittedly, not as eloquently)!! Hand it to Rob Walton for having these guys playing at their PEAK over the past four weeks, when they need to.

The OTHER point I was going to make, though, is that while there have been several "heroes" in this tournament - both in the field and at the plate - you have to really say our success in Fort Worth has been a result of superb performances on the mound. After our pitching crew got rocked on Friday, we saw OUTSTANDING performances from Bowen, Spring, Guest and our bullpen in the rest of the going.

Without their success we wouldn't be playing tonight. Period.

I could not get the picture to load but here is a link to a great picture of Mark Guest in action: Guest

I wonder how deep DBU's pitching is? Since they are independent they have not played a tournament - though they are an experienced team that is well coached. DBU is used to being the 'hunter'... can they adapt to being the 'hunted'?

Should be a great game tonight. Let's hope our pitching stays strong and our bats are still hot.

I could not get the picture to load but here is a link to a great picture of Mark Guest in action: Guest

Here you go.

PVZHLUNQVRTKFGW.20110606045724.jpg

you would think he could at least get his last name right

haha - I didn't even notice that! terrible.

Guest was an animal last night . . .

Complete game - incredible.

The word on the street is that DBU starts their closer tonight. He is their best arm left, don't know his name, don't care what it is. But we have a history of eating "top notch" closers for breakfast.

The word on the street is that DBU starts their closer tonight. He is their best arm left, don't know his name, don't care what it is. But we have a history of eating "top notch" closers for breakfast.

Amen, bro.

I was about to ask you guys that know baseball better than I this question, but Parker228 may have answered it before I could ask: could DBU use their starter from Friday night in the game tonight? Would he have had enough time to rest? If they're starting their closer, I guess the answer is "NO"! :nerd:

Who would've thought that Cheech getting roughed up on Friday night would end up working to our advantage? Btw, if Guest can pitch like he did last night - we have 3 legit starters in Cheech, Bowen, and Guest.

How many innings has their closer pitched this weekend?

Can't blame them - you have to go with your best arm... even if he is not used to starting.

Who would've thought that Cheech getting roughed up on Friday night would end up working to our advantage? Btw, if Guest can pitch like he did last night - we have 3 legit starters in Cheech, Bowen, and Guest.

I had the same thought. It's stuff like that that last night had Geoff beginning to say that this may be a "team of destiny." Sure didn't feel very good Friday night, but now I'm thinking, WOW! What an opportunity!! If Cheech can get his act together tonight, and I have EVERY confidence he can, it will be left up to our batters to score some runs - and they seem to be peaking in that regard right now. I'm feeling very good about things right now, I have to say.

DBU's ace- Williamson went a full 9 innings against OU on Friday. And their next guy Stafford went pretty deep against TCU. I think those are the 2 guys they do the most damage with.

From looking around, it appears they would go with their #4 or their closer, both righties.

But the heart of ORU's order (Baligod, Elder, King, Schiller and Schlehuber) is absolutely raking right now, so not sure if it even matters.

Just need to stay focused on this ONE game and get a quality start from Gonzalez.

in the post game presser the DBU coach said he was going w/jordan staples tonight

Player ERA W-L APP GS CG SHO/CBO SV

Jordan Staples...... 4.70 6-2 13 9 1 1/1 0

Just need to stay focused on this ONE game and get a quality start from Gonzalez.

That's the key to it all in one sentence.