ORU vs. Dallas Baptist U.

theeagleman5

That's the key to it all in one sentence.

Gonzalez needs to throw strikes and get ahead in the counts. That is what killed him on Friday. TCU did not hit the ball hard at all--they just put the bat on the ball in favorable counts and hit the holes.

As a side note, I really think they should enforce the hit by pitch rule to require some attempt to avoid being hit. I saw several HBPs this weekend where the batter either did not move at all or even leaned into the ball. Here is commentary on a 2008 rule clarification:

Hit by Pitch Rule. This rule has been clarified by the committee for this season. The batter must make an attempt to avoid the pitch. If a pitch freezes a batter and he is not able to avoid a pitch and the pitch is clearly in his batter’s box, first base is awarded. If a pitch hits the batter outside the vertical lines of the batter’s box and the hitter makes no attempt to avoid the pitch, the batter remains at the plate and the pitch is called a ball or strike.

Another way to look at this rule change, if a batter hits the ball with any part of his body by moving his body part towards the pitch, the batter will be kept at the plate and the pitch called a ball or strike, depending upon the pitch’s location. If the ball hits the batter as the batter is attempting to avoid the pitch, the batter is awarded first base. This guidance should assist umpires and coaches with the adjudication of this rule.

At yesterday's game, I saw a TCU player stick his elbow out (he had armor on) and get hit. The funny thing is that it probably would have the 4th ball anyway. A TCU fan nearby mentioned how that player led the team in being hit by pitches. It looked like the Frogs were taught to stay and 'take one for the team'.

At yesterday's game, I saw a TCU player stick his elbow out (he had armor on) and get hit. The funny thing is that it probably would have the 4th ball anyway. A TCU fan nearby mentioned how that player led the team in being hit by pitches. It looked like the Frogs were taught to stay and 'take one for the team'.

I listened to Geoff while watching the video stream with the sound muted all weekend long, but occasionally I'd turn the sound on just to get an idea of what the ESPN crew was saying. At one point in the DBU game Burch called time, and turned around and said something to the ump. The ESPN guys said that he was telling the ump to expect for that batter to try to get hit by a pitch. IF that's what he was saying, I assume Burch was instructed to do so by Coach Walton, so I guess they know which guys are going to try to get hit.

ESPN's college baseball blog has a couple of nice blurbs on the ORU-DBU matchup and Chris Elder:

4. The "Butler" Regional is a blast.

How great is it to see Oral Roberts and Dallas Baptist going to a seventh, winner-take-all game? In fact, I almost would've been disappointed if it didn't go to Monday between these two. Cinderella needs an even bigger stage for the slipper-fitting.

Regional superlatives

Tour de force II: Chris Elder, Oral Roberts The Eagle outfielder only went 1-for-4, but had five walks in the wins over TCU and Dallas Baptist on Sunday. His one hit? A grand slam in the sixth inning to beat the top-seeded Frogs.

ESPN blog

ORU will have to bring it's "A game" again tonight to win vs. Dallas Baptist...but the way these young men have played over the past three days, it's hard to believe they won't get the job done somehow and earn a first super regional spot in 5 yrs....it's been an amazing month....maybe it's destiny and Expect a Miracle....if ORU can get up early and put a few runs on the board....DBU is in big trouble.... ;-)