• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUTex

• ORUalum

• tmh8286

The team leaves today by bus. TCU site the games will be on ESPN3.com, good luck. Rumor is that Gonzo goes game 1, but it is just that a rumor.

Yeah I would say throw Gonzalez against TCU, possibly even if they were throwing Purke. The good about this particular regional is, after TCU's starting pitching, none of the teams are head and shoulders above anyone else. If Bowen has the type of start he's had the last couple of games we can definitely beat OU, even if they save their "ace", who I'm assuming is Rocha this year.

TheEagleman has confidence that our pitchers will keep us in games 1 and 2....the question will be....can we score any runs against the top notch hurlers we will see from TCU and OU/DBU?.....our guys seem to be bunching some hits together over the past couple weekends...let's hope they can come thru in the clutch..... :wait:

Just wondering....how come ORU doesn't play Dallas Baptist on an annual basis....seems like a natural matchup....a few hours bus ride....why are we not playing them a 3 game series every year?.... :ugeek:

I'm pretty sure Rob will start Gonzo in game one because he's our best pitcher and Rob is an experienced D1 coach with some confidence in his team's chance to win a game, not a defeatist message board poster.

Seriously, what's with all the "we have no chance against Purke" nonsense? He's coming off an injury, still building up strength, started 10 games this year, won 5, and totaled less than 48 innings. And he would likely be on a strict pitch count. No matter how talented he is, he's beatable. At the very least, you can take some pitches, make him work more than he's used to, and and see what happens in the late innings.

Also, as others have mentioned, there is a HUGE advantage to winning the first two games - winning the second after losing the first still leaves you in a very difficult situation. The best chance to win 2 is to throw your best against the 1 seed and take your chances against #2 or 3 on Saturday.

See you in Ft. Worth!

TCU To Stream News Conferences Live

June 1, 2011

FORT WORTH, Texas - TCU will stream live all four of the news conferences tomorrow at Lupton Stadium on GoFrogs.com. Please click on the links below to view the news conferences, which is scheduled to begin at 11:20 a.m. CT.

11:20 a.m.

VIDEO STREAM: TCU

12:50 a.m.

VIDEO STREAM: Oklahoma

2:20 p.m.

VIDEO STREAM: Dallas Baptist

3:50 p.m.

VIDEO STREAM: Oral Roberts

LINK

Schlossnagle has no qualms starting freshman RHP in regional opener

(excerpt)

By Stefan Stevenson

sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Freshman pitcher Andrew Mitchell has shown a penchant for grace under pressure while winning at Baylor, Texas A&M and in the Mountain West Conference tournament.

So TCU coach Jim Schlossnagle has no qualms about starting Mitchell in the Horned Frogs' Fort Worth Regional opener against Oral Roberts at 7 p.m. Friday at Lupton Stadium.

"I know there's going to be a lot more extra stuff going on outside the stadium with a lot of fans and a lot of hype," said Mitchell, who has a 3.13 ERA in 69 innings this season. "It's still baseball between the lines. I'm just going to keep it like that."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/01/3120855/schlossnagle-has-no-qualms-starting.html#ixzz1O7olitIj

Boyd Nation has posted his annual "ISR-based Probabilities" for this year, and it's not pretty. He gives us a 1.6% chance of wining the regional, and a 0.2% chance to go to the CWS. http://boydsworld.com/data/fieldprobs2011.html

Here is the Ft Worth regional section:

Reg Super Final Champ Team

52.9 22.2 2.1 0.6 Texas Christian

40.8 17.0 1.7 0.5 Oklahoma

4.8 0.8 0.0 0.0 Dallas Baptist

1.6 0.2 0.0 0.0 Oral Roberts

Oral Roberts coach Rob Walton

On the opportunity to play in another NCAA Regional

"It's very good to be here, another opportunity to go to the NCAA Tournament for us. There are a lot of very deserving teams at home who didn't get in, so we feel good about being in the tournament and in Fort Worth."

On his team's familiarity with the other teams in the Regional

"We travel a lot, so by the time we get to a regional, we have seen all styles and are prepared for all styles of baseball. For the players, they have played here once this year, so coming back they knowing what to expect. They know how the ball carries and how the ball bounces, so that's a good thing."

On how his team has improved during the course of the season

"Early on we had some injuries that test your character and your resolve. Some of those guys have started to get healthy now. Overall, we've just executed better. We've moved guys over and gotten them in, we've taken the extra base on the bad throw--we've done the little things better over the last three weeks than we did early in the year. We wouldn't be here without the two guys next to me (senior outfielders Nick Baligod and Chris Elder). They are our leaders on the field. It takes time for a freshman like (infielder) T.J. Bennet to get accustomed (to playing). (Infielder) Cam Schiller's a junior but a new player, and we have a freshman starting tomorrow on the mound in (Alex) Gonzalez, so we have our fair share of new guys. There's a lot of emotion and anxiety--they had to overcome a lot early. So I think over the last few weeks we've really matured as a team, and it's shown in our execution."

On his decision to tab freshman Alex Gonzalez as his Game 1 starter

"Alex has our best stuff. During the year, without many junior or seniors in your rotation ... I've had to mentor him a little bit more. I've tried to get him into some games, even in the mid-week, just to throw an inning in the bullpen. He's pitched against Arizona State, Arkansas and Baylor, so he's pitched in some atmospheres before to try to help the maturing process move along a little quicker. But he has our best arm. At times he can be special, and at times he (pitches like) a freshman. He's our best guy at the particular moment. The No. 1 seed is who we play first, so we have to put our best foot forward. He gives us the best opportunity for that."

Oral Roberts senior outfielder Chris Elder

On playing at Lupton Stadium a second time this season

"I feel it's great playing here. We already played TCU in a close game, so we just will come out with a belief that we can play with anyone."

On building off last season's experience from playing in the Norman Regional

"Last year, what I got out of the regional is that we can play with anyone. If OU made it to the College World Series last year, and we were practically an inning away from winning that game (7-6 OU win in 10 innings), why not us, why can't we make it? I feel we have a better team this year, as well."

On the team's recent ability to win close games

"In the tournament, we found a way to win the championship game, but early on in the season we were losing those tight ball games. Lately, we've just been finding ways to win. It's given us more confidence and more belief in our teammates."

Oral Roberts senior outfielder Nick Baligod

"It gives us more confidence. We are feeling better coming here this year in (our ability to compete)."

On gaining from winning the Summit League tournament championship

"In the tournament, we played really well. We handled business, as we like to say. Coming in here, I think it's just going to carry on."

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060211aab.html

Hummmmm.....1.6%, huh?....TheEagleman likes us being the underdogs....we are expected to be two and done....if it happens....at least our young kids have gained some experience for next year.....but the games still have to be played....baseball is a funny game.....anything can happen....EXPECT A MIRACLE!!!... ;-)

Oral Roberts coach Rob Walton

On the opportunity to play in another NCAA Regional

"It's very good to be here, another opportunity to go to the NCAA Tournament for us. There are a lot of very deserving teams at home who didn't get in, so we feel good about being in the tournament and in Fort Worth."

On his team's familiarity with the other teams in the Regional

"We travel a lot, so by the time we get to a regional, we have seen all styles and are prepared for all styles of baseball. For the players, they have played here once this year, so coming back they knowing what to expect. They know how the ball carries and how the ball bounces, so that's a good thing."

On how his team has improved during the course of the season

"Early on we had some injuries that test your character and your resolve. Some of those guys have started to get healthy now. Overall, we've just executed better. We've moved guys over and gotten them in, we've taken the extra base on the bad throw--we've done the little things better over the last three weeks than we did early in the year. We wouldn't be here without the two guys next to me (senior outfielders Nick Baligod and Chris Elder). They are our leaders on the field. It takes time for a freshman like (infielder) T.J. Bennet to get accustomed (to playing). (Infielder) Cam Schiller's a junior but a new player, and we have a freshman starting tomorrow on the mound in (Alex) Gonzalez, so we have our fair share of new guys. There's a lot of emotion and anxiety--they had to overcome a lot early. So I think over the last few weeks we've really matured as a team, and it's shown in our execution."

On his decision to tab freshman Alex Gonzalez as his Game 1 starter

"Alex has our best stuff. During the year, without many junior or seniors in your rotation ... I've had to mentor him a little bit more. I've tried to get him into some games, even in the mid-week, just to throw an inning in the bullpen. He's pitched against Arizona State, Arkansas and Baylor, so he's pitched in some atmospheres before to try to help the maturing process move along a little quicker. But he has our best arm. At times he can be special, and at times he (pitches like) a freshman. He's our best guy at the particular moment. The No. 1 seed is who we play first, so we have to put our best foot forward. He gives us the best opportunity for that."

Oral Roberts senior outfielder Chris Elder

"I feel it's great playing here. We already played TCU in a close game, so we just will come out with a belief that we can play with anyone."

On building off last season's experience from playing in the Norman Regional

"Last year, what I got out of the regional is that we can play with anyone. If OU made it to the College World Series last year, and we were practically an inning away from winning that game (7-6 OU win in 10 innings), why not us, why can't we make it? I feel we have a better team this year, as well."

On the team's recent ability to win close games

"In the tournament, we found a way to win the championship game, but early on in the season we were losing those tight ball games. Lately, we've just been finding ways to win. It's given us more confidence and more belief in our teammates."

Oral Roberts senior outfielder Nick Baligod

"It gives us more confidence. We are feeling better coming here this year in (our ability to compete)."

On gaining from winning the Summit League tournament championship

"In the tournament, we played really well. We handled business, as we like to say. Coming in here, I think it's just going to carry on."

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060211aab.html

Great quotes - thanks for posting. I love the confidence. An for anyone who doesn't remember, "why not us" was the rallying cry of the 2004 Red Sox, who broke the 86-year World Series drought (not curse).

Nice preview on ncaasports.com

No. 4 Oral Roberts (36-20)

Summit League AQ (23rd appearance, last 2010)

The Golden Eagles are back in the postseason for the 14th consecutive season after extending their streak of Summit League titles to 14, which ranks as the second-longest stretch in college baseball history. ORU’s NCAA Regional streak is the fifth-longest active streak in the nation. The Golden Eagles led the Summit League in both pitching (3.38 ERA) and defense (.968) with starting hurlers Drew Bowen (5-2, 1.96 ERA) and Alex Gonzalez (8-5, 2.61 ERA) leading the way.

Seriously, what's with all the "we have no chance against Purke" nonsense? He's coming off an injury, still building up strength, started 10 games this year, won 5, and totaled less than 48 innings. And he would likely be on a strict pitch count. No matter how talented he is, he's beatable. At the very least, you can take some pitches, make him work more than he's used to, and and see what happens in the late innings.

LOL - "seriously", have you seen us bat against left-handers this year?

Mediocre southpaws from North Dakota State, Southern Utah, and Oakland virtually shut us down in games this year.

Even a 50/50 Purke would be a tall order. Trust me, when TCU announced they were going with a freshman right-hander against us, rather than a bona fide MLB first-round lefty, EVERYONE in the ORU camp breathed a sigh of relief.

Thanks for posting those quotes. I agree "Why not us"? DBU seems to be the darlings of the regional and ORU is able to sort of float under the radar this time around, despite the familiarity of the four schools. ORU has played very well in close games late in the season, let's just play some ball and see what happens.

ORU needs to get off to a quick start tonight...if we can get a lead for Gonzalez.....it's gonna be an interesting game....an upset already in Game 1 today....how about another tonight?....a few of the lower seeded teams have won over the country in the afternoon.... :ugeek:

Boyd Nation has posted his annual "ISR-based Probabilities" for this year, and it's not pretty. He gives us a 1.6% chance of wining the regional, and a 0.2% chance to go to the CWS. http://boydsworld.com/data/fieldprobs2011.html

Here is the Ft Worth regional section:

Reg Super Final Champ Team

52.9 22.2 2.1 0.6 Texas Christian

40.8 17.0 1.7 0.5 Oklahoma

4.8 0.8 0.0 0.0 Dallas Baptist

1.6 0.2 0.0 0.0 Oral Roberts

Here's wishing I had bet half the house on ORU and the other on DBU.

I wonder if anyone took those bets? Given the normal alumni of both schools, the chances are good that of so, it was someone in Vegas not associated with ORU or DBU.