NCAA Baseball Tournament

tmh8286

ORU is a #4 seed, going to TCU!!!

Congrats to the ORU Golden Eagles!! Great job!!

Bogus gets his wish, and we face off with the Horned Frogs again. Hope we can get the job done this time.

I'd really hoped we'd go to Corvallis - but thought the chance of it was slim. Turns, out it may not have been as slim as I thought - a regional team, UALR, ended up as the four seed in Corvallis.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUTex

• ORUalum

• tmh8286

Well, somebody knew something on ESPN.com and BaseballAmerica.com....they got our regional exactly right....TheEagleman loves the matchups....ORU will certainly not be intimidated by TCU having just played them a few weeks ago in the same stadium....obviously, the Horned Frogs are a heavy favorite with their stud pitcher....but we could certainly have a shot in Game 2 vs. DBU....or how sweet would it be to have a shot to knock Sunny and OU out of the tournament....will Walton go with Bowen or Gonzo in Game 1?...there will be a lot of stories next weekend....think Sunny wants to play ORU?....probably not.... :razz:

Well, somebody knew something on ESPN.com and BaseballAmerica.com....they got our regional exactly right....TheEagleman loves the matchups....ORU will certainly not be intimidated by TCU having just played them a few weeks ago in the same stadium....obviously, the Horned Frogs are a heavy favorite with their stud pitcher....but we could certainly have a shot in Game 2 vs. DBU....or how sweet would it be to have a shot to knock Sunny and OU out of the tournament....will Walton go with Bowen or Gonzo in Game 1?...there will be a lot of stories next weekend....think Sunny wants to play ORU?....probably not.... :razz:

I think you definitely pitch Gonzalez in the 1st game. You have to take your best opportunity to remain in the winner's bracket.

Yep, glad we ended up in Fort Worth, if for anything else than it's an easy game to travel to for Tulsans and a lot of Dallas alums. We'll have a very hard time with their stud pitcher. They can't overlook us and save him for the second round game - the first game is the most important game in this weekend's tournament. It's almost impossible to win the regional if you lose your first game.

The game between OU-DBU will be a really good game to watch. DBU beat OU in a mid-week game at Norman this year and I know Sunny will not be able to overlook that team either. TCU will be in the driver's seat this weekend, but DBU will be the dark horse - could be like the ORU team from 2006 and end up going to the Super Regional out of Fort Worth (they beat TCU twice this year in Fort Worth).

It should be a fun regional with large crowds at each of the games.

TheEagleman agrees....go with Alex Gonzalez in Game 1....ace vs. ace....Gonzo will have to pitch the game of his life....but he seems to have the stones to come up big in the clutch... ;-)

This might be a good time for ORU to catch the Froggies. UNM took it to them twice last weekend in San Diego, enroute to winning the Mountain West championship. But make no mistake, TCU as always, will be tough.

UNM got sent to the Tempe Regional where they will play Arizona State. The Sundevils swept the Lobos earlier this season. Hopefully, the Lobos will keep up their hot streak.

Best of luck to the Golden Eagles!

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

This might be a good time for ORU to catch the Froggies. UNM took it to them twice last weekend in San Diego, enroute to winning the Mountain West championship. But make no mistake, TCU as always, will be tough.

UNM got sent to the Tempe Regional where they will play Arizona State. The Sundevils swept the Lobos earlier this season. Hopefully, the Lobos will keep up their hot streak.

Best of luck to the Golden Eagles!

Jupiter Out

GO LOBOS!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Thanks, man!! I'll be keeping track of the Lobos - got a good friend that's both a Lobo and a Golden Eagle. We were talking about both teams last night.

Best of luck to you guy as well!

We could have had a lot worse draw than this one in Ft. Worth...and the team only has to travel 4 hrs or so by bus....hopefully, a few of our fans will make the trip to join those ORU faithful who live in the DFW area...ORU is playing their best ball of the season and it couldn't have come at a better time...since May 1, the Good Guys are 15-3....not too shabby....and our top pitchers Gonzo and Bowen have been looking very good the past month.....ORU certainly has a shot to win a game down there and we've been playing top non-conference competition all year....there's no pressure....we're playing with house money.... :ugeek:

Matt Purke is the TCU ace....the lefty is 16-0 with a 3.02 ERA....what else can be said....let's hope that the Horned Frogs decide to save him for a potential matchup with OU on Saturday..... :sweat::worried::sweat:

those are last year's numbers when he led them to the CWS. according to the star-telegram he will likely be starting on friday.

"Purke (5-1) missed more than a month with shoulder soreness, Maxwell (5-1) missed a month with biceps soreness, and Winkler (10-2) didn't pitch at the Mountain West Conference tournament for precautionary rest.

All three are healthy and and will be available this weekend. Purke has pitched well in two pitch-controlled starts and will likely start Game 1 on Friday. Winkler is expected to be available for Game 2. Freshman Andrew Mitchell will likely start Game 3 if Maxwell isn't available. Maxwell was pulled in the second inning Friday in his first start since April 23."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/29/3112944/tcu-to-host-regional-baseball.html#ixzz1NtVjUmsp

he should be pitching in the rangers system right now. out of high school he and his dad told nolan ryan they would sign w/the rangers if picked. supposedly there had already been a dollar figure agreed upon. nolan picked him #14, he rejects a 4 mill offer, and then he decides to go to college. my rangers loss has definitely been the horned frogs gain. if he's fully healthy, ORU has no shot against him.

Call me crazy, but I would probably hold out Gonzalez until Game 2. Although winning Game 1 is important, I believe Game 2 is the key. If you win the first and then lose the second game, you're in no better shape than losing the first and winning the second. And, of course, if you lose the first and lose the second, you're done! So, in any case, the second game is HUGE. We're playing at TCU (strike 1), against a stud pitcher (strike 2), who also happens to be a lefty (strike three). With our stacked lefty hitting lineup... we're in big trouble. I'm not suggesting that we just roll over and concede defeat, but I am stating that it doesn't make sense to put all of our eggs in one basket, pinning our hopes on winning Game 1. Save some fire-power for Game 2 - and if we're lucky enough to pull the huge upset - then we still have an ace up our sleeve to shoot for the championship round. I would save Gonzalez for Saturday's pivotal Game 2, but I'll trust Rob's judgment, because I've never been a Team USA manager!

Sorry, TheEagleman didn't realize that those stats on the TCU website were from 2010....sounds like they have 3 good starters so it doesn't matter much....they are likely to throw the lefty since we have a lefthanded laden lineup....TheEagleman would have to concede to the comment above...Go with Bowen in Game 1....Gonzalez in Game 2.....Coach Walton has a tough decision either way..... :ugeek:

Call me crazy, but I would probably hold out Gonzalez until Game 2. Although winning Game 1 is important, I believe Game 2 is the key. If you win the first and then lose the second game, you're in no better shape than losing the first and winning the second. And, of course, if you lose the first and lose the second, you're done! So, in any case, the second game is HUGE. We're playing at TCU (strike 1), against a stud pitcher (strike 2), who also happens to be a lefty (strike three). With our stacked lefty hitting lineup... we're in big trouble. I'm not suggesting that we just roll over and concede defeat, but I am stating that it doesn't make sense to put all of our eggs in one basket, pinning our hopes on winning Game 1. Save some fire-power for Game 2 - and if we're lucky enough to pull the huge upset - then we still have an ace up our sleeve to shoot for the championship round. I would save Gonzalez for Saturday's pivotal Game 2, but I'll trust Rob's judgment, because I've never been a Team USA manager!

Couldn't agree more. Throw Bowen Friday night, hope that Purke has an off night, and save Gonzalez for Saturday's game. No need to waste Cheech in a game where we will be hard-pressed to give him any run support.

How cool would it be to have Gonzalez on the bump in a critical match-up with OU on Saturday?

Amen to that!....OT is right again as usual....gotta save Gonzo for Saturday....wouldn't it be amazing if in a "down year" for ORU baseball the Good Guys get hot at just the right time and pull off something special in Ft. Worth?....our expectations have been so low over the past couple months but now we seem to have two really good pitchers capable of keeping us in the first couple games....while it's not likely to happen, TheEagleman has always learned to Expect A Miracle!.... :wink:

"Andrew Mitchell will take the mound for the Frogs against Oral Roberts in Friday's opening game of the Fort Worth Regional."

- Mark Cohen, TCU SID http://twitter.com/TCUSID

Pitch Gonzalez in Game 1. Especially now that Andrew Mitchell will be pitching instead of Purke. Perhaps they are looking past us to OU. Since we played them close earlier in the year I am surprised they would take that approach

It will be very interesting to see which approach Coach Walton decides to take....TheEagleman still thinks he would be tempted to hold Gonzalez until Saturday's 2nd game....but this is why Walton makes the big $$$....any idea when the team leaves for Ft. Worth....do they head down Wednesday and practice in Texas on Thursday or do they just bus down the afternoon before Game 1?.... :ugeek: