Technical Question About Recording Off DVR

ttowncount

In mid-March we replaced our broken Tivo with a DVR provided by Cox cable. How difficult is it ... or How would I go about capturing a snipit or program to be shown elsewhere? (And, by the way, I don't have a laptop if that would be part of the answer.)

For instance, I had already recorded Wednesday's chapel where Kevi and some other athletes were recognized. As I watched it Wednesday evening, it made me want to capture that portion, post in on YouTube, and provide a link here for others to experience.

OldTimer? Dr C? Others? Anyone have suggestions/instructions on how I can do this easily?

Thanks for your help.

There are a few easy solutions both require a computer (doesn't have to be laptop). The easiest way is to get a TV tuner capture card and install it in your desktop. One I use frequently is a Hauppauge card. It has all the software built in, the dual tuner allows you to run coax directly from the wall into the card for live programming. This would not help with your DVR but the card in the link also has other inputs such as S/Video and or yellow composite in. You can run a cable from your Cox Box out (either S-video or Composite Out) I use an S-video cable. Then you have to run a cable from the audio out of the cox box into the audio in of the TV tuner. Hope I didn't complicate it up but it is actually quite simple. (Note: We had this card for a year and then a component went bad, but they have a two year warranty and after talking with technical support we sent it back and they sent us a brand new one, very good customer service.)

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1600.html

Second option is to use an external tuner connected by USB. One product I have used before is called the Dazzle.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/

All the same features, but no need to install a card, plus depending on what you have should have software for editing.

Both run about $100 bucks, then you would have to buy some cables to run from your cox box to your computer and I definitely can recommend where to buy those online or you can pay full price at best buy.

I would recommend the Hauppauge card for sure. The other thing you may want to look into is some editing software mainly to convert files into a Youtube format. But there is freeware for that, I'm not a pro at free software I have used Power Director for a while now.

Let me know what other questions you have and I think I can help.

the

here is a free way to accomplish what you want...

--wait until ORU posts the chapel online.

--use a media capture program to save the chapel to your computer (i like FlashGot a free firefox add-on)

--convert the file. the saved file will be in the .flv format and will need to be in .wmv

(here is a free program -- flv to wmv convert

--use a media editor to select the portion of the chapel you want to post (i.e. windows movie maker -- which should already be on your computer)

--post to YouTube