Jeff Capel fired as OU basketball coach

ORUTerry

20110314_jeffcapel0314.jpg

Jeff Capel went 96-69 in five seasons as coach, and 37-43 in the Big 12 Conference. STEPHEN PINGRY/Tulsa World

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer

Published: 3/14/2011 11:57 AM

Last Modified: 3/14/2011 12:03 PM

NORMAN - Jeff Capel has been fired as Oklahoma basketball coach, a source confirmed to the Tulsa World today.

Capel went 96-69 in five seasons as coach, and 37-43 in the Big 12 Conference. The Sooners just completed their second consecutive losing season that did not include any postseason play.

Read more here.

• Upvote 1

Ouch!....I guess that Washington kid should have come to ORU after all..... :ugeek:

Ouch!....I guess that Washington kid should have come to ORU after all..... :ugeek:

My count has OU, ARK, TT without coaches and an OSU coach hotseat. Wonder if there is a chance Sean Sutton resurfaces in the Big 12?

To quote my new favorite philosopher, Charlie Sheen, "Duh!". Hopefully when they get to the Mabee next year we can reinforce that message with a nice healthy spanking.

20110314_jeffcapel0314.jpg

Jeff Capel went 96-69 in five seasons as coach, and 37-43 in the Big 12 Conference. STEPHEN PINGRY/Tulsa World

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer

Published: 3/14/2011 11:57 AM

Last Modified: 3/14/2011 12:03 PM

NORMAN - Jeff Capel has been fired as Oklahoma basketball coach, a source confirmed to the Tulsa World today.

Capel went 96-69 in five seasons as coach, and 37-43 in the Big 12 Conference. The Sooners just completed their second consecutive losing season that did not include any postseason play.

Read more here.

"Jeff Capel has worked diligently on our behalf, and for that we are appreciative."

Translation: " Thank you for Blake Griffin."

To quote my new favorite philosopher, Charlie Sheen, "Duh!". Hopefully when they get to the Mabee next year we can reinforce that message with a nice healthy spanking.

Pretty sure we're supposed to play OU in Norman again next year, and in Tulsa the next year.

New coach is probably going to weasel his way out of the contract anyway...

Pretty sure we're supposed to play OU in Norman again next year, and in Tulsa the next year.

New coach is probably going to weasel his way out of the contract anyway...

Ah that does seem right, nice call. If a coach gets fired from a D1 school, are the players given the opportunity to transfer without penalty?

Ah that does seem right, nice call. If a coach gets fired from a D1 school, are the players given the opportunity to transfer without penalty?

Nope - Rod Pearson left Southeast Missouri State after their coach got them on probation AND was fired, and he still had to sit out a transfer year at ORU.

Capel was a good coach unfortunately a few of his (high profile) players turned out to be idiots. Any chance Scott Sutton's name comes up for any of these jobs most notably Arkansas or OU?

I agree. The only way we lose any of our staff is in the event the ripples start hitting upper level mid-major programs. If that happens then watch out. :tmi: