Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

And the coaching carousel's turns up a notch more with OU and Arkansas looking for lead men.

Notable coaching vacancies via ESPN:

257774947.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1300132640&Signature=xTzZduO4G2sOO8FpKoPQ2hEgrok%3D

Dane Fife, the Indiana-Purdue/Fort Wayne head coach interviewing today at Bradley, has built an impressive resume in his six years as the school’s head coach.

Hired at 25 as the youngest head coach in Division I, Fife has taken a program just four years into its D-I life to respectability in the Summit League.

His six-year record totals are 10-18, 12-17, 13-18, 13-17, 16-15 and 18-12. This season, the Mastodons were 11-7 in the Summit, good for fourth behind Oakland, Oral Roberts and IUPUI.

LINK

I like Doc Sadler for either the OU job or Ark..

i don't think either fan base would be satisfied w/doc sadler.

I like Doc Sadler for either the OU job or Ark..

And right on cue,

Sadler gets two-year contract extension

By Brian Rosenthal

Lincoln Journal Star FremontTribune.com

Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:20 am

Saying that Nebraska's program is on the right track, NU athletic director Tom Osborne rewarded men's basketball coach Doc Sadler with a two-year contract extension on Tuesday.

Osborne didn't reveal details of the new contract, which runs through June 30, 2016, saying it first needs to be finalized. That's expected to happen within the next two weeks.

Read the rest of the article here.

Dane Fife, the Indiana-Purdue/Fort Wayne head coach interviewing today at Bradley, has built an impressive resume in his six years as the school’s head coach.

Hired at 25 as the youngest head coach in Division I, Fife has taken a program just four years into its D-I life to respectability in the Summit League.

His six-year record totals are 10-18, 12-17, 13-18, 13-17, 16-15 and 18-12. This season, the Mastodons were 11-7 in the Summit, good for fourth behind Oakland, Oral Roberts and IUPUI.

LINK

That would be an awesome opportunity if Fife got the job.

Gillespie to Texas Tech...so we will see him at Mabee Center in the fall.... :ugeek:

Jeff Rabjohns (@JeffRabjohns)

3/20/11 10:02 PM

Ron Hunter on taking the Ga. State job: "Look at VCU, George Mason. In my opinion, it's the best mid-major league in the country."

(@JeffRabjohns)

3/20/11 10:03 PM

Ron Hunter on taking the Georgia State job: "We have to change the culture, just like we did here.

can't say i'll miss the guy, but you have to give ron hunter credit for what he did at a commuter school w/horrible facilities and very little fan interest.

Hunter gone? Good. He can take his act to another conference. Can't stand that guy and his encroachment on the court and clapping during the free throws.

That's a huge blow to the conference. Like him or not, Hunter did a great job selling the IUPUI program to recruits. I hope he's the only coaching move we see in the Summit.

Also, ESPN has the story below on Tech getting Gillispie.

Billy Gillispie accepts offer to be Techs coach.

Since IUPUI is a contender almost every year in the Summit League, given their shortcomings with the high-school gym style arena and being a mostly commuter school, is this a highly desirable job that one of the ORU assistants would be interested in?

Also, will IUPUI return to the middle of the pack in the Summit League after losing Ron Hunter?

IUPUI has a fairly large number of students at well over 20,000 I believe. You would think they could eventually get the funding to build an arena. Also, they are trying to increase the number of students that live on campus (according to an acquaintance who's son goes to IUPUI). The campus is in a nice area of Indianapolis.

It will be interesting to see who they hire and how the team responds next year. They lose Leroy Nobles and Ashworth (I think) but still have Alex Young and Siakim coming back. There will still be a lot of talent on this team for next year. I'm honestly sad to see him go. He brought a lot of personality to the league. My guess is that he will eventually be successful in the south because he is a good recruiter.

Ron Hunter IS IUPUI - period. Anything good that team became was a direct result of his efforts.

Can't imagine they will pay much for the new guy - will be surprised if it's not somebody with serious local ties in Indy, if not an assistant on staff.

It's a blow for the conference, and a mixed bag for ORU - the Jags were a perennial upper division team that had a decent RPI, which helped ORU in years like this one where we were able to beat them.

They are the only conference team to beat Oakland the past two seasons. and we could always count on them to give our other conference rivals a run for their money every time out.

Hunter was a jerk on the sidelines, but otherwise what he did at IUPUI will be missed.