ORU vs. Oakland Summit Final Predictions....

theeagleman5

Oakland has been the class of the Summit all year....but ORU is on a streak of 10 in a row....can the eagles pull a major upset?...we will probably be at least a 6-7 pt underdog tonight....TheEagleman thinks we can hang with them but the Grizz will just have too much...just like the first two games Oakland will outlast ORU....87-82..... :sweat::sweat::sweat: ....I hope I miss this one.... :blink:

It's going to take a special game from our guys to beat Oakland tonight. They (OAK) are emotionless on the court ( obviously has its pro and cons) which ultimately means we're probably not going to see them get overwhelmed and make many stupid mistakes. If we win this game, it'll have to be in a grind it out fashion.

Excited about the game and I'm really excited about the idea of ORU being the underdog in the championship game!

I like the way you think, Tex!

Yes, Oakland is the favored in this game (anyone know the Vegas line), but that's why we play the game right? I'm going to say we come out with some killer D and hang around just long enough to pull out the upset.

ORU -88

Oakland -83

What?! Did you honestly expect me to pick Oakland? :grin:

Oakland has its best team of the decade this year.

ORU arguably had its best team of the decade when they were facing Oakland in the finals in 2005 and Oakland upset us.

Oakland peaked and had their best game of the tournament last night.

I say we peak tonight and shoot over 50% for the first time this tournament to pull out the upset, 84 to 83, on a last second shot similar to what Oakland had in 2005 for sweet revenge. :grin:

Oakland is a formidable team with talent and experience. I think they are clearly the best the team in our league with ability to score in the paint and from the perimeter. The Grizzlies are an offensive juggernaut.

I think our chance to beat them will require a perfect game (offensively and defensively) from the Golden Eagles and an off shooting night coupled with foul trouble for Benson, Wright, etc. It will need to be a perfect storm. I imagine we will try to slow the game down a bit. I like the fact that Sean Sutton is in our locker room. He has had a chance to analyze the Grizzlies and I feel sure that his insight, coupled with our coaching staff will result in a game plan that gives us a chance to win. The guys will just have to execute.

• Upvote 1

Expect a lot of whistles.

Wymer and Sanzere called the ORU-Oakland game in Rochester.

In fact, this will now make ALL THREE Oakland-ORU games that Sanzere has called this season. Good thing or bad? We won with him last night vs. IUPUI, so who knows?

Terry, I was thinking the same thing about Sean's insight with helping us to dismantle the IUPUI defense both in Tulsa and last night. Hopefully him getting a chance to watch Oakland will bode well for us. Coach Sutton said in today's article that there are no surprises between these two teams. I hope we have a surprise up our sleeves that we've been waiting to show. If not, I'd settle for hard nose defense by the good guys, coupled with an off night shooting for the Grizzlies to help us take it over the top. BRING IT ON!!! :evil:

Expect a lot of whistles.

Wymer and Sanzere called the ORU-Oakland game in Rochester.

In fact, this will now make ALL THREE Oakland-ORU games that Sanzere has called this season. Good thing or bad? We won with him last night vs. IUPUI, so who knows?

Sanzere also officiated in the 51-whistle foul-a-thon at Texas Tech last November.

Oakland is a formidable team with talent and experience. I think they are clearly the best the team in our league with ability to score in the paint and from the perimeter. The Grizzlies are an offensive juggernaut.

I think our chance to beat them will require a perfect game (offensively and defensively) from the Golden Eagles and an off shooting night coupled with foul trouble for Benson, Wright, etc. It will need to be a perfect storm. I imagine we will try to slow the game down a bit. I like the fact that Sean Sutton is in our locker room. He has had a chance to analyze the Grizzlies and I feel sure that his insight, coupled with our coaching staff will result in a game plan that gives us a chance to win. The guys will just have to execute.

They are certainly the best team in the league, but I have to disagree a bit. I don't think it will take either a perfect game by us or a bad one by Oakland, and certainly not a "perfect storm." Without question, they've proven they are better than us, but they don't have near the margin for error that some people think. I was at the game in Tulsa (over Christmas break with virtually no student presence), and came away with the clear impression that we can beat them. The final was 8 points, and we were down 2 wwith 2:04 left when they got an offensive rebound and putback. We went 13 for 27 from the line in that game, Niles was 1 for 9, and Oakland had a 20-0 run in the first half. The chances of any of those repeating at this point in the season are very slim. Obviously, the 3-point loss at Oakland could have gone either way. And we are unquestionably playing much better now than we were then. So, the way I see it, we just need to play a little closer to our potential than they do to win the game.

I will also agree with vcboy - where's the fun in being right with a prediction if ORU loses? I'll take the good guys 81-77.

They are certainly the best team in the league, but I have to disagree a bit. I don't think it will take either a perfect game by us or a bad one by Oakland, and certainly not a "perfect storm." Without question, they've proven they are better than us, but they don't have near the margin for error that some people think. I was at the game in Tulsa (over Christmas break with virtually no student presence), and came away with the clear impression that we can beat them. The final was 8 points, and we were down 2 wwith 2:04 left when they got an offensive rebound and putback. We went 13 for 27 from the line in that game, Niles was 1 for 9, and Oakland had a 20-0 run in the first half. The chances of any of those repeating at this point in the season are very slim. Obviously, the 3-point loss at Oakland could have gone either way. And we are unquestionably playing much better now than we were then. So, the way I see it, we just need to play a little closer to our potential than they do to win the game.

I will also agree with vcboy - where's the fun in being right with a prediction if ORU loses? I'll take the good guys 81-77.

I agree and thanks for saving me the time.

I'll take ORU 76-74.

My man, Tex. Let's go pick a fight lol! ;-)

a little shout out from andy katz about the game tonight...

• Doesn't it feel like Oral Roberts is always playing for an automatic bid? The Golden Eagles play Oakland for the Summit championship in Sioux Falls, S.D., (because of course one team from Tulsa and another from outside of Detroit should decide the league's auto bid in South Dakota). If the Grizzlies win, they will be a trendy first-round upset pick.

• Upvote 1

Having your name associated with competing NCAA automatic berths is a good thing!

Side Note: Rutgers and Seton Hall are in a barn burner over on ESPN3.

a little shout out from andy katz about the game tonight...

• Doesn't it feel like Oral Roberts is always playing for an automatic bid? The Golden Eagles play Oakland for the Summit championship in Sioux Falls, S.D., (because of course one team from Tulsa and another from outside of Detroit should decide the league's auto bid in South Dakota). If the Grizzlies win, they will be a trendy first-round upset pick.

5 out of 7 ain't bad! B)

Oakland is head and shoulders above the rest of the league with the #1 seed.

As other have already pointed out the #2-#7 seeds were pretty even. We will need to play a great game and have Oakland come out flat to have a chance.