Kevi Watch

tmh8286

I started this thread on the other board - thought I'd move it over here . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the final game of the regular season, a 96-66 win over IUPUI (RPI 342 out of 343), Kevi Luper had 29 points, six steals, and four rebounds. It was pretty apparent from the outset that the sole IUPUI defensive goal was to prevent Kevi from scoring. The officials allowed Kevi to be shoved, pushed, slapped and knocked down without calling fouls. It was frustrating to watch from the stands - I can only imagine how Kevi felt. In spite of that, and the undoubted pressure of knowing an NCAA record was on the line, Kevi scored above her season average of 23.8.

It's a little bit hard to tell the final stats for sure, because I don't think that most of the sources include last night's game, but from what I can tell Kevi leads the nation in steals, with 110 total, for 3.7 steals per game. The next highest is Katie Sheehan from Loyola Maryland, with a total of 106 steals, and an average of 3.7 steals per game, and with no more regular season games to be played. I don't think there are any others close enough to challenge at this point. Kevi should have this record, at least for the regular season.

Kevi ended the regular season with a total of 695 points, for an average of 24.0 ppg. Her competition in this category is Dawn Evans of James Madison, who has 665 points on the season for an average of 23.8 ppg. HOWEVER - James Madison has one more game to play, tomorrow night, against conference foe UNC Wilmington. Evans will need to score 31 points or more to overtake Kevi in the ppg category.

I'll be rooting for NC Wilmington on Wed. night!

While looking for stats for the post above I found this article and video about Dawn Evans, the player challenging Kevi for highest ppg honors. It's from a little over a month ago. She sounds like a pretty sharp young woman.

I hope Kevi wins this, but if she doesn't, I won't be broken hearted that it was to this gal. She sounds like a quality person, and, given the adversity she's faced, is pretty deserving.

JMU's Dawn Evans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff Haxton said on the broadcast last night that the scoring/steals averages include all post-season games, so (good or bad) Kevi is far from finished.

Would assume the other girls in the mix will also have at least one conference tournament game to play, and could conceivably have 3, 4 or even more games to go if they qualify for the NCAA or WNIT tournaments.

Posted on 3/1 1:19 PM

That's good to know - I wondered, but thought that if one team were to go deep into the post-season it would give the player on that team most likely a disadvantage, as they face tougher competition the further they go.

Posted on 3/1 1:50 PM

Last night, playing forty minutes against NC Wilmington, Dawn Evans scored 18 points, for a total of 683 points on the season and an average of 23.6 ppg.

As pointed out in an earlier post, Kevi finished the season with 695 points, for an average of 24.0 ppg.

So far, so good.

Kevi just might do it....she needs a big tournament in Sioux Falls...can this team go dancing without Jaci?.....TheEagleman thinks Kevi and the rest of the ladies can git 'er done!..... :inlove::inlove::inlove:

Kevi just might do it....she needs a big tournament in Sioux Falls...can this team go dancing without Jaci?.....TheEagleman thinks Kevi and the rest of the ladies can git 'er done!..... :inlove::inlove::inlove:

I hope they Do! Kevi has been fun to watch this season. Everyone knows how good she is at creating her own shot from literally anywhere, but her defense is so sneaky good, because of her technique. She gives enough space that she rarely ever gets cheap fouls called, then when she sees the chance for a clean steal, it's over! My Daughter has a class with her, and told her what big fans we are, and that we never miss a game. She got the team to sign a poster, and gave it to my Daughter to give me. She's not only a world class player, but also a world class young Lady!

That's great to hear, Golfdad. So glad Coach Fink had the stuck by her on the recruiting trail when all of the other schools were jumping ship.

• Upvote 1