Scott Sutton ejected as ORU loses fourth straight

ORUalum

Scott's comments are classic - curious to see if the Summit League takes any action.

My guess is they won't have the guts: would merely draw attention to their rinky-dink refs, an embarrassing lot whose shortcomings the league brass would rather keep within the family.

More likely is some sort of Anmal House "Double Secret Probation" in the form of a reprimand for Scott, sent to AD Mike Carter - if anything at all.

Lost in all the mayhem is another stalwart effort from the boys - gotta admire them not folding their tents. Amazing we haven't seen a blowout or two during this awful 1-and-8 stretch of nine games. Props to everyone for hanging in there - better days are ahead!

Scott's comments are classic - curious to see if the Summit League takes any action.

My guess is they won't have the guts: would merely draw attention to their rinky-dink refs, an embarrassing lot whose shortcomings the league brass would rather keep within the family.

More likely is some sort of Anmal House "Double Secret Probation" in the form of a reprimand for Scott, sent to AD Mike Carter - if anything at all.

Lost in all the mayhem is another stalwart effort from the boys - gotta admire them not folding their tents. Amazing we haven't seen a blowout or two during this awful 1-and-8 stretch of nine games. Props to everyone for hanging in there - better days are ahead!

Good post, OT. I listened just briefly to the NDSU announcers in the second half when the audio stream of Geoff messed up, and they were saying, you had to give it to the Eagles, they just wouldn't go away. Every time the Bison would get a lead, ORU would come back. They attributed it to our tough OOC schedule, and that they'd learned to never quit. I think it just shows the heart that these guys have.

After Scott's ejection and the six free throws, with what had transpired and with just elven seconds left on the clock, I fully expected our guys to inbound the ball and walk it up the court, in resignation, but they kept fighting till the final buzzer, with Roundtree hitting a near-buzzerbeater at the end. It's been a tough road for these guys, but they keep on fighting.

I'm curious, though - at one point Geoff said that he thought Yorkovich had been banned from officiating Summit League games - what was up with that? My guess is, if that was true, and this was a temporary lifting of the ban, Yorkovich probably ensured it's permanance in the future last night.

FWIW, Yorkovich has continued officiating Summit League games - in fact, he's reffed few games over the past three years that weren't Summit League games - but the last one he officiated involving ORU was the fiasco at IPFW in 2009 - until last night.

His recent officiating history involving ORU:

2007-08 - four games

2008-09 - four games

2009-10 - no games

2010 -11 - one game, and hopefullly no more.

WHat i love about this is it adds fuel to the growing rivalry between ORU & NDSU. Even though this had nothing to do with the Bison, that area has not been place for good memories for Sutton & co.

It is awesome the way these guys battled and played with a lot of toughness the last 2 games without DoMo. Gotta find a way to get over the hump in these close games.

Just an overall bizzarely officiated game. ORU went a very long time before a foul was even called against us. And how many possessions for either team in the last 2-3 minutes of the game resulted in a foul being called? Almost all of them?

There were 3 straight off-the-ball fouls called between 1:30 and 1:00 left in a one-point game-- One on Holdman, one on NDSU's Bjorklund, then the DQ on Niles.

No wonder Sutton almost strangled Yorkovich.

FWIW, Yorkovich has continued officiating Summit League games - in fact, he's reffed few games over the past three years that weren't Summit League games...

If the only D-1 gigs the guy can get are Summit League games, then there should be little debate Yorkovich must suck.

And ponder this: the Vegas line on last night's game was 5 points.

The technical foul shots took the game from one side of the line to the other.

And if anyone feels that kind of talk is merely conspiracy-theory paranoia, then I have two words for you: Tim Donaghy.

Incredible composure by Scott - shame that some Summit League refs such as Yorkovich don't have near as much class.

There are a number of classy coaches in our conference, but Scott ranks right at the top in my book.

Mike Brown's tweet on 1/7/2011 at 3:30pm:

Summit League confirms conf. commish and coordinator of officials have talked with ORU coach Scott Sutton over double techs at NDSU

Mike Brown's tweet on 1/7/2011 at 3:30pm:

Summit League confirms conf. commish and coordinator of officials have talked with ORU coach Scott Sutton over double techs at NDSU

So how did that conversation go? "Scott, we know that ref sucks even more than most of our refs but we'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't talk about it publicly", maybe something like that? Or "Sorry that you got T'd up twice by that knucklehead but we're doing the best we can in the northern badlands. He was the only guy sitting around at the Fargo gas and sip who had a whistle in his truck."

Good stuff from Coach Sutton after the game...can you imagine how Bobby Knight might have reacted in the same situation?... :P .....Yeah, Yorkovich does SUCK.... :puke: ....pathetic to be calling ticky tack off the ball fouls in the final 90 seconds of a tie game that both teams needed....shame on the Summit League for putting that guy out there and DOUBLE shame on them if they ever put him out there again after this incident....our coach is a gentleman and this Yorkovich is just a jacka$$....ORU played damn hard for 40 minutes only to have the game taken away by some incompetent self-absorbed official.....well, enough crying about it....we have to suck it up and play another big game in 24 hrs....the SDSU match becomes almost a must game for us now....this team has a lot of heart and showed it again last night....TheEagleman is sure the guys will give the Jacks all they can handle in Brookings tomorrow night.... :clap:

That's two games in a row that Yorkovich called double technicals on ORU that essentially decided the outcome of the games. I don't blame Scott for protesting.

As I have said before, I met and talked to Scott last year and he couldn't have been any nicer. The guy actually approached me asking ME questions. I am sure he freaked last night. But, I'm sorry, you just don't assess a double-tech w/ the game on the line...unless there is physical contact, etc. That's something you don't see out of even mediocre refs. Hey ref, you might not like getting called a blind moron who can go to h*ll...but it's sure better than being the guy who decided a game banging a guy w/ two techs. Good luck finding D1 work again.

Now I fear that ORU comes into Frost p*ssed off and playing the "us against the world" card. Like I have said before, I expect ORU to show more effort tommorow and to want it more. Can't wait!