Coaches' Radio Show on AM-1430 Tonight (Tuesday)

ORUTerry

The ORU Coaches' show starts at 6:00 on AM-1430 Tuesday evening. The call-in number is (918) 460-1430. If you can't call in, leave your questions here for Cris Blevin to see.

Go to ORUSports.com and click on media to listen to Coach Sutton talk about Utah State and the three new recruits.....

Hey, I missed the Coaches hour last night can anyone give me a quick recap. Did I miss anything interesting?

I've got GREAT news - and it doesn't have anything to do with insurance or GEICO! Dr. Cornelius already has Coach Sutton's portion of the show posted on the Media page. To get to it, you can click on the ORUSports.com banner at the top of the page to get to the home page, then select the Media option.

Or you can just click here: http://www.orusports.com/media.php

You can listen to the entire interview with Coach Sutton by going to the home page (ORUSports.com) and clicking on the media button - then scroll down to the 11-15-05 Coaches' Show.

Brief Recap:

Sutton said that he was disappointed in the team's 2nd half effort against NSU. We played well in the first half but came out flat and without much intensity. Said that they have not made a final decision on red-shirts, but mentioned Daren Jordan, Sylvester Spicer and Moses Ehambe as candidates.

Sutton praised Utah State as a team; said they have one of the best winning records in the country over the last 5-6 years. Very well coached. On offense they are deliberate and play half-court style of motion. On defense, they play zone but will also mix in man-to-man and some pressure in an attempt to slow the game down. ORU will need to be focused and play extremely well to have a chance to win.

He also mentioned the Great Alaskan Shootout and our first game with USC. Said it is a great chance to get TV exposure on ESPN against a 'name' school.

Coach also mentioned the three recruits and said they were pleased with all of them. Said Gaines is a very nice (overlooked) player who can play shooting guard or point guard. Hazell has the ability to come in and contribute immediately... very athletic and a good shooter. Plays against great (D-1) talent every day - unlike most high school players. He said the most satifying recruit was Shawn King, because we needed a replacement for Mickey in the middle.

In regard to redshirting, Sutton pointed out something that I've talked to others about on numerous occasions - I think he was talking specifically about Darren Jordan, but the same applies to MOST freshmen - that he would be a LOT better player as a fifth year senior than as a first year freshman. We learned that lesson well with Chad Wilkerson - wouldn't we have loved to have him another year?

But, as Scott pointed out, the ultimate decision is up to the player, and if they don't want to redshirt, they won't be.

I hope that Dr. C is able to put up Mike Carter's comments that came at the end of the Coaches' show. He talked about the new training facility that is being built next to the baseball field, and also about what they're trying to do to add fun and excitement to the home basketball games. He said that with all the other things competing for people's attention, we have to provide a product that is fun and entertaining to draw people in. It was good to hear his perspective, especially in light of some of the discussions taking place elsewhere in regard to this.