The Summit schedules UND site visit

FargoBison

I did a little searching to find out what the new name of the Fighting Sioux was going to be (they announced that the name would be changed eariler in the year), after seeing that they were still being referred to as "the Sioux" in the article. I thought that was funny and my intention was to find what the columnist should have called them. Turns out he was right - they remain the Fighting Sioux until the end of this school year, then the name will be changed. And, interestingly, no new name has been chosen at this point. I guess that's not without precedent - there was "A Horse With No Name" by America, and there was "the Artist formerly known as Prince." Maybe they will be "the team formerly called the Fighting Sioux."

I got a little carried away there - what I really meant to do was post a link to a pretty interesting article I found regarding the whole name-change debate - including the story behind a $100 million "opinion" given by a colorful character by the name of Ralph Englestad - in of all places, the Marquette University Law School Faculty Blog. The article can be found here. I thought the article was remarkably unbiased. If you check out the article, be sure to read the comments after as well, because they provide some updates.

The article was written in 2009, so it doesn't contain the latest info on the subject. You can find that here, although I thought this article leaned more in favor of the name change.

As a postscript to my previous post, I should point out something that was no doubt recognized pretty quickly by those that have been following sports longer than I have - Marquette Univeristy athletics used to be known as "the Warriors". They changed that to the Golden Eagles in 1994. That is no doubt the reason for the interest in the topic on that particular blog.

I read elsewhere that in 2004 a push was made to change the name back to "Warriors", ". . . however, the Board of Trustees ignored the results of polling on the subject on the grounds that previous logos had been disrespectful to Native Americans. . ."

:yawn:

So sorry to bore you Eagleman! I thought it was kinda interesting stuff, myself. ;)

In one of those articles it states that in 2002 80% of Native Americans polled were in favor of keeping the moniker of Washington Redskins in the NFL.

In the article I read about Marquette, an overwhelming number of students and alumni (92% alumni, 62% students) voted to change the name back to Warriors in 2004, but it wasn't even considered by the Board of Trustees, for the reason stated in the previous post. Was it not possible to redesign logos to an "inoffensive" image, so that they could satisfy a large majority of their constituents?

The overriding point that I was really trying to make, and maybe you missed it and maybe not ;), is that I just find it rather interesting how the NCAA and these boards at universities run roughshod over the desires of the people they are supposed to be serving, touting positions that really can't be supported by any sort of data. But, what they say goes. If UND wants into a conference, the the NCAA and the Summit League say change your name!! Or, in order to keep it, we'll set some rules that are so difficult that one opposing individual can block the whole thing.

Just a sign of the times we live in, I guess.

thanks for posting...i appreciated the analysis and actually went and read the articles. how about having the last name 'His Horse is Thunder'? it just kind of demands respect.

as for marquette, they should just say these are the warriors they are referencing and not the native american warriors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05Qot_yh9c

New UND name? Flickertails seems to have some momentum. Flames kinda makes sense since a burning fire is one of their logos already. Maybe something w/ aeronautics since they have a pretty big program for that as well as a decent sized Air Force base or something to do w/ the cold season (you think it's bad in SuFu, go up there in January).

I have alot of opinions on this as I used to live 20 minutes from Grand Forks ("Forks") and my wife is from there. I lived there when the great flood of '98 went down. That was unbelievable. I used to work in Forks (even worked w/ roomie of current Vikes TE Jim Kleinsasser when he was a phenom at UND). I also have an elderly aunt who worked for years w/ the tribes. She tells me that the Fighting Sioux name was meant to show respect to the natives and they were even asked and approved the name.

I won't bore Eagleman or the rest of you for that matter. I would encourage you to google Ralph Englestad tho. I was living there when Ralph donated the money to build "The Ralph". It is stunning. When KU played UND several years back (they played at UND b/c KU super 3-point shooter Jeff Boschee is from Valley City ND) the KU announcers called The Ralph the nicest college arena in the nation.

They will be a nice addition to the Summit. Their fanbase is very vocal and supportive. The UND-NDSU rivalry has been featured in several media outlets. Their pride and joy is their already D-1 legendary and successful hockey program. I believe their jerseys are the highest selling college jerseys and among the highest selling hocker jerseys period.

I know that I've said this already, but I can't wait to head south for a UND-ORU tilt. Can't happen soon enough for me. I could watch an ORU basketball game with only a three hour drive to the venue!

Ron, Fargo and Forks are just a lil over an hour apart, straight south on I-29! You could catch 2 games in 3 days. Heck, you can even stay in the CANADA INN in Grand forks (my kids favorite hotel). And if you wanna see 'em two more times Brookings and Vermillion are just 2 hours apart...Brookings 3 hours straight south of Fargo on I-29, Vermillion just 15 miles off I-29.

Hey, I could do a little friendly seminar on "How to live and thrive in real winter weather" for the ORU team. But, getting back to your post, SDSU Jacks, the opportunity for longer stays in the sunny South does present itself as a real possibility!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting stuff going on with the Big Sky. They may be trying to get ready for life after Montana and Montana State move to the WAC. Our "friends" from USD may jump ship before they ever really get onboard.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2010 ... 002/sports

USD's talks with Big Sky gain steam

Conference wants Coyotes, UND to join ranks for all sports

MICK GARRY • mgarry@argusleader.com • October 26, 2010

Conversations between the University of South Dakota and the Big Sky Conference regarding membership are serious, ongoing and include more than just football, USD athletic director David Sayler confirmed Monday.

"There is no option of football-only," Sayler said while attending Summit League meetings in Indianapolis. "The consideration by the Big Sky is for all sports. We are continuing a dialogue - a very good dialogue - with them at this time."

At a retreat for Big Sky Conference college presidents last week, there were discussions of expansion that included specific conversations about USD and fellow Great West Football Conference members North Dakota and Southern Utah. . . . (read more)

Yes, it appears that Southern Utah, North Dakota and South Dakota have offers to join the Big Sky in all sports without officially having offers. (Got to love the political nature of conference commissioners.)

The Thunderbirds are as good as gone from the Summit League and the conference will rejoice in the further shrinking of its footprint. The trip to Cedar City was long and difficult.

Hmmmm . . .

This may bode well for the Summit League. That's the first I've heard that "the Thunderbirds are as good as gone from the Summit League ". If those three schools bolt to the Big sky, it would surely help travel for the entire league.

Hmmmm . . .

This may bode well for the Summit League. That's the first I've heard that "the Thunderbirds are as good as gone from the Summit League ". If those three schools bolt to the Big sky, it would surely help travel for the entire league.

It makes sense for Southern Utah to go, yes, but for USD and UND not to be Summit schools is puzzling at the very least. If we already have SDSU and NDSU, we might as well have their best friends in the Summit league as well ;). After a while, visiting teams might even get to like the weather :lol: .

Looks like no UND in the Summit

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... /homepage/

UND cancels Summit League site visit set for early next week

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota athletic director Brian Faison has announced that The Summit League site visit, scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday, has been canceled by UND. . . . (read more)

Looks like no UND in the Summit

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... /homepage/

UND cancels Summit League site visit set for early next week

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota athletic director Brian Faison has announced that The Summit League site visit, scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday, has been canceled by UND. . . . (read more)

Thanks for the update, 89rabbit. There is also some discussion of this development here.