UND - NCAA approves nickname plans

SOLO_Gold

UND receives acceptance from Athletic Association regarding logo retirement.

By Allee Mead

Big changes may soon be coming to the UND athletic program. A recent statement by the National Collegiate Athletic Association said that because UND is retiring the Fighting Sioux logo and nickname, it "has been removed from the list of schools subject to the policy regarding Native American nicknames and imagery at NCAA championship events."

Although nothing is official yet, the football team, along with a few other sports, may be moving to the Big Sky Conference, while other teams may join the Summit League, which 125,000 student-athletes at 10 schools call home.

http://www.dakotastudent.com/mobile/news/ncaa-approves-nickname-plans-1.1605149

• 5 months later...

NOT SO FAST!!!!

"Breaking news this afternoon from Forum Communications multimedia correspondent Teri Finneman – the North Dakota Senate has voted 28-15 to pass a bill that prohibits UND and the State Board of Higher Education from retiring the Fighting Sioux nickname"

Gov. Dalrymple intends to sign Fighting Sioux bill after it passes N.D. Senate 28-15

NOT SO FAST!!!!

"Breaking news this afternoon from Forum Communications multimedia correspondent Teri Finneman – the North Dakota Senate has voted 28-15 to pass a bill that prohibits UND and the State Board of Higher Education from retiring the Fighting Sioux nickname"

Gov. Dalrymple intends to sign Fighting Sioux bill after it passes N.D. Senate 28-15

So now what happens to UND and their move to the Big Sky? The plot definitely thickens.

• 4 months later...

So now what happens to UND and their move to the Big Sky? The plot definitely thickens.

UND has a deadline in August to have their name officially changed, but the North Dakota state government has passed a law forbidding them to change the name. They could experience some negative ramifications if they don't change the name. There are apparently 2 main Sioux tribes, and UND received approval from one of the tribes to keep the name, but the other tribe did not grant approval. That is why they cannot keep the name like the FSU Seminoles were allowed to do.

North Dakota fights on to keep Fighting Sioux nickname and logo

• 6 months later...

UND should just change the name already, but i find it funny that the NCAA allows the Fighting Illini and allows FSU to a have brave in war paint drive a spear into the field before each home game.

The NCAA's argument is ridiculous. They are almost TELLING Native Americans they MUST be offended by such names. Most Sioux in North Dakota doon't want the name changed, from what I've read. Plus, how is the name "Fighting Sioux" offensive? I"m glad that UND is putting up this fight. It may not be winnable, but I hope so.

The NCAA's argument is ridiculous. They are almost TELLING Native Americans they MUST be offended by such names. Most Sioux in North Dakota doon't want the name changed, from what I've read. Plus, how is the name "Fighting Sioux" offensive? I"m glad that UND is putting up this fight. It may not be winnable, but I hope so.

It isn't a winnable fight anymore, honestly a lot of alumni that are strong supporters of UND athletics are pretty distraught about this. UND's Alumni Leader sums it pretty well in this article...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/350376

Pathetic. Yet another loss of freedom.

We saw a similar situation here in Oklahoma, when Northeastern State University changed from the Redmen to the Riverhawks. NSU started as a Cherokee school many years ago, and to this day has the largest percentage Native American student population of any school in the country. NO ONE wanted to change the name - except the bureaucrats of the NCAA. What gives them the right to police our intentions? What gives them the right to DEMAND that a name be considered offensive, even when those that are referenced by the name insist that it isn't?

This situation is absolutely bazaare.

They may lose, but I appareciate the fact that SOMEONE at least puts up a fight for what is right, even if ultimately they're steamrollered.

From the article:

"O’Keefe also cites policies in place at Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa, schools “that won’t allow their athletic teams to compete with schools under NCAA sanctions due to American Indian imagery.â€

What are they trying to do? Purge any references to Native Americans from our culture? The bigger issue may be the racisim associated with the NCAA (and State) policies.

It may be a battle that can't be won, but it's still deplorable.

TheEagleman's opinion of the NCAA?...... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Still waiting for PETA to convince the NCAA that "animals are people, too", and that they're offended because we use them as team mascots. Then we'll be looking for inanimate objects for names - the Golden Hurricane and the Blue Devils may have had the right idea . . .

The hypocrisy is astounding. If you have money - or make money for the NCAA, then it is okay. Florida State, Illinois, etc.

The North Dakota mascot is meant as a tribute. What you have are two factions of Dakota Sioux that disagree about everything - including this. I suspect that UND's Alumni Director may not hold that position for much longer.

In the event that that happens, here are a few options for our Golden eagles:

The ORU Eternal Flame, or Tower of Power, or Earth Wind and Fire, or Praying Hands, etc.

I'm not very creative - I'm sure some of you would come up with much better options

The hypocrisy is astounding. If you have money - or make money for the NCAA, then it is okay. Florida State, Illinois, etc.

The North Dakota mascot is meant as a tribute. What you have are two factions of Dakota Sioux that disagree about everything - including this. I suspect that UND's Alumni Director may not hold that position for much longer.

Great points, Terry. I agree that it's meant as a tribute to the toughness and fighting qualities of Native Americans. And, as you say, if you've got the money to grease a few palms, you can call yourself whatever you want. It is a joke. In a way it is NCAA tyranny - arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority. They can make anyone bend to thier will due to their unrestricted authority. The irony of it is that they are absolutely guilty of acting in a way that is the very thing they are intended to prevent.

So how much longer is the NCAA going to be around, anyway?

• 3 months later...

The people of North Dakota votes to allow North Dakota to change its mascot. Not sure how their major donor will react - he has given money to build the hockey stadium and won't allow them to make modifications.

Here is a story where the NCAA sent the NDSU football championship banner to UND... oops.

NCAA accidentally ships North Dakota State's championship banner to North Dakota

The people of North Dakota votes to allow North Dakota to change its mascot. Not sure how their major donor will react - he has given money to build the hockey stadium and won't allow them to make modifications.

Here is a story where the NCAA sent the NDSU football championship banner to UND... oops.

NCAA accidentally ships North Dakota State's championship banner to North Dakota

Umm, since he's been dead since 2002, I'm thinking he probably won't have much to say about it. ;)

His widow and the rest of his family have not said a word throughout the debate. There's a chance the arena's management will refuse to remove the logos or rename part of the building(the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center) since it is private property on state land and the university is only a renter. If so, the NCAA will not punish UND with the exception of not allowing NCAA postseason events in the arena. That will only harm women's hockey as men's hockey, men's & women's basketball, and volleyball would never be held in Grand Forks anyway. UND's football facility is city-owned and will be logo-free by summer's end.

The banner thing was pretty funny from both sides, but it did ratchet up some tension between the athletic departments over the way it was handled. (The package sat unopened in GF for over a week, and NDSU found out it was up there through the media. It's not the first, second or third time something big has happened and NDSU found out about it through the media instead of directly from UND.)