ORU at TU pre-season game....

theeagleman5

Could be interesting and a good guage as to how good we are going to be....anybody going to the game tonight?....... :geek:

Number Three Son attended with a couple of his buddies - said there was a pretty good crowd, and quite a few ORU students. He said he saw people from both the men's and women's basketball teams there. According to his report, TU was much faster than ORU, outran us on both ends of the field.

Apart from the final score, he said he had a lot of fun. I'll have to go to some games with him this fall.

5-nil?....OUCH!!...maybe it IS time for a new coach.....Bob Bradley is available.....make him an offer!..... :P

A few things... And I don't want to make any excuses for the team's lack of organization in the defensive half of the field, but with that said, the starting GK last night was the 5th string walk on from last year's team that quit in the middle of last season, I assume b/c he realized he was never going to play. I can't blame him for that. The true starting GK took a knock in last week's game against NSU, and apparently the backup freshman GK hasn't been cleared by the clearing house yet (what I heard). 2nd string graduated, 3rd and 4th string transferred. So apparently, 5th string is still an ORU student and they called him up, threw a jersey on him, and said don't let the 5th ranked team in the nation score... good luck!! I felt bad for him, but in all honesty he did pretty well. Made a few decent saves actually, and didn't let any easy goals in. Our other keepers may have saved one mayyybe 2 of the goals, just because they probably would have been better positioned themselves to have a chance at making the save.

TU has some very good players, and is probably about as good as they've ever been, hence the #5 national ranking, and deservedly so. The thing is, talent wise, in all sincerity, I don't think there is a noticeable drop off (other than the GK situation) in my unobjective opinion. We play with TU very well every year. We tied them 0-0 in last year's exhibition game with numerous similar results in the spring and fall the last 5 years, many of which were W's for us. However, last night we got throttled! We had many solid individual performances. I honestly can't point one guy that just looked terrible. And that is simply because talent wise we can, and have proved in the past, that we match up the top programs in the nation. However, last night, we were extremely unorganized in the back. I heard very little communication, especially from those who should be organizing. We got out executed in every aspect of the game, and I hope they figure it out before the real season starts next week...

Thanks, Golden.....TheEagleman has to admit that it's no disgrace to lose to a Top 5 team....didn't realize that TU was that highly rated....ORU is certainly nowhere near that level of play....sounds like our crosstown rivals could have a shot at the Final Four this season....best of luck to them....we, on the other hand will be fortunate to make the Summit playoffs.....and it sounds like we need some depth at goalie.....I guess Techanchuk has transferred?....what's the story on that?...his dad was an ORU guy whom I went to school with.... :geek:

No, Techanchuk is the guy that got hurt last week. Hopefully he'll be good by the season opener in a couple days.

Glad to hear that, Golden....ORU needs Techanchuk to be competitive this year....he seemed to be one of our best players last season....hopefully, he's back for the season opener..... :)

theeagleman5...

Your comments regarding "maybe it is time for a new coach"...

I honestly couldn't agree more...and I speak from experience! Unfortunately, the Athletic Department doesn't really care about the success of the men's soccer program, which is too bad. I believe that soccer is a sport that could garner a fair amount of press for ORU if we were to put together a program, that I honestly believe we're capable of doing...

With all due respect to the current players and recruits...something needs to change because it's been a decade of mediocrity or underachieving...there are plenty of young talented soccer minds across the country that would jump at the chance to coach a D1 program. I know one personally that would frankly be a perfect fit...4 year starter at Westmont College and National Director of one of the most powerful club programs in the country...Rush Soccer.

ORU is a national/global university and it needs to recruit more heavily outside of Oklahoma...