SDSU in Winnipeg

ron

SDSU is playing its second Canadian university tonight. They doubled up yesterday night's team and scored over 100 pts. The good thing about the trip is that they got 10 practice days to prepare for the trip. They were not limited to 20 hours of practice time a week either. Apparently there were not many spectators ( around 300) at yesterday's game. Last year the University of Winnipeg sported a 1 and 19 record in the Canadian university league. Tonight`s opponent, the University of Manitoba Bisons, had a 4 and 16 record last year, so SDSU is definitely not here for the quality of the competition. The early practice opportunity and the opportunity to see returning and new players in action together is undoubtedly the drawing card. I am going to tonight`s game in my 2008 Summit League champs t-shirt. I sure hope I can get a more recent championship version very soon. We are toying with the idea of a road trip to Brookings early in the new year (it`s about a 6 and a half hour drive with a border crossing included), so I guess this is the year I get to know SDSU better than other competition. If there is any interest, I may post some thoughts about the game tonight.

P.S. - I wonder what kind of reception the ORU t-shirt will get. :)

BTW, Jacks, if you are out there, probably the best eatery in town is the Fusion Grill. I have never been there, but that is the reputation that is out there. I understand that it is fairly reasonably priced as well.

TheEagleman is looking forward to your on site report of tonight's game, Ron....sounds like the Jacks are the class of the competition up there....U of Winnepeg is certainly no Rogers State....probably not even a St. Gregory's..... :P....also, the Fusion Grill doesn't sound like an SDSUJacks kind of place...he's more likely to head to the local Sonic for some good eatin'..... :P:P:P

Jacks, Wolters and Dykstra definitely look like the core of the future of your team. I'm not sure that taking outside shots is Dykstra's strength. When he tried to bring the ball up, he was double-teamed and gave it up. You have enough guards. He should leave that to them. He is nice and quick in transition though and will be a challenge to cover once he acclimatizes to this level. With all the new, young, four-year guys that you have, getting a chance to play a pre-preseason is a great idea.

Jacks, Wolters and Dykstra definitely look like the core of the future of your team. I'm not sure that taking outside shots is Dykstra's strength. When he tried to bring the ball up, he was double-teamed and gave it up. You have enough guards. He should leave that to them. He is nice and quick in transition though and will be a challenge to cover once he acclimatizes to this level. With all the new, young, four-year guys that you have, getting a chance to play a pre-preseason is a great idea.

Playing these games will put SDSU at an obvious advantage over Summit teams. It's a great benefit to size up new players against outside competition.

Playing these games will put SDSU at an obvious advantage over Summit teams. It's a great benefit to size up new players against outside competition.

Yeah, even though the competition is not very good, it beats playing A against B all the time. It must give a whole different focus to the task at hand. Although . . . after beating the University of Winnipeg so bad on Monday night, the focus didn't seem to be there right at the beginning of the game on Tuesday night. It looked like they thought they would only have to show up to win. In any case, they definitely have a leg up on the competition in the Summit at this stage in the season. They basically have a serious rebuilding job on their hands though and can use any advantage they can get.

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:.....the Jacks can play all the pre-season games they want against these Canadian stiffs....ORU will still beat them twice this season.....convincingly..... ;)