For long term, IPFW’s sights set on Horizon

ORUalum

unbelievable. the summit's version of Mizzou? they haven't won a thing since joining the league, but they come off sounding like they are too good for the summit.

For long term, IPFW’s sights set on Horizon

Steve Warden | The Journal Gazette

(excerpt)

FORT WAYNE – IPFW athletic director Tommy Bell has a dream.

“If I was given one wish from a genie and he says, ‘You could have anything for your athletic department at IPFW’ – if I could put us in the Horizon League, that’s an (aspiring) league for us to have an association with,” Bell said.

Dreams aside, is IPFW ready for such a jump?

“No,” Bell said. “But we’re getting there.”

If Bell ever gets his wish and IPFW eventually lands in the Horizon League – which includes nearby schools such as Butler, Valparaiso, UIC, Loyola-Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland State and Wright State – not only would travel costs be diminished greatly, but the competition level in most sports would go up considerably.

“We’re very competitive with the Horizon League members we play now in non-conference games,” Bell said. “Basketball would need to be the sport where we would really have to ramp up and grow in, but I think we would be competitive there. We have a history of beating Valpo.”

full article: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... 5/SPORTS03