World Cup Soccer

theeagleman5

Netherlands beats Uruguay....not unexpected but it was a good 3-2 game....tomorrow should be a dandy.....TheEagleman expects Germany to win but Spain is no slouch.....either team vs. the Netherlands on Sunday would be fun to watch but I prefer seeing the Germans and their attacking style of play....TheEagleman still goes with Germany to win it all.... ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• vcboy2000

• ron

• ORU Eli

Germany has shown that they are the team to beat. It is in their favour at this point to have lost a game in the qualification round and not played that well against Ghana as well. They know that they have weaknesses but have proven that they can overcome these. They will keep a level head and do what it takes to win today.

P.S. - I have been flying a German flag on my house since Germany beat Argentina. The neighbourhood doesn't seem to mind, except maybe the guy flying the two Netherlands car flags on his car three houses down or the guy that flew the Union Jack for a while. My Italian neighbour has congratulated me and another Italian neighbour has indicated his support for Germany as well. I bumped into a Brazilian young man at a Tommy Hilfiger store that is cheering for Germany too. People seem to be embracing Germany like never before because they are playing such strategic, technically precise and entertaining soccer. It's a wonderful experience!

Germany's run is at an end. Loew obviously didn't feel that his team could attack the Spaniards effectively, at least without Mueller. Spain is still the better team. I think Spain will go on to win the Cup, but if the Netherlands press rather than hold back, they have a chance as well. I do think that Germany will finish third (but who really cares :( ).

Unfortunately, TheEagleman didn't get to see the game today due to heavy workload at the office but I am a bit surprised at Germany being unable to score at all vs. Spain....the Spanish are good but I expected the Duetchlanders to prevail...alas, they did not....so, TheEagleman will switch his allegences to the Dutch on Sunday....not a big fan of Spain....regardless, we will have a first time winner no matter what....the Germans have to be totally deflated.....and coming back with only 2 days rest...don't be shocked if Uruguay wins 3rd place....those guys play with a lot of passion and will have top scorer Suarez back on the field.... ;)

Today is the 3rd place game Uruguay vs. Germany.....it would make sense that the South Americans should be a lot more motivated to win as well as they have had an extra day of rest....TheEagleman will go with Uruguay in the upset to finish 3rd....tomorrow's championship should be a great game....looking forward to the Netherlands vs. Spain....gotta make the Spaniards a slight favorite but again, TheEagleman goes with the underdog Dutch to win their first World Cup and finish the tournament undefeated..... ;)

Nice victory by the Germans today over Uruguay....they deservedly win the 3rd place game played in pouring rain...hats off the the South Americans who barely qualified for the tournament and played outstandingly to get 4th place....looking forward to tomorrow's championship....TheEagleman will be watching... :geek:

TheEagleman went 0-2 in his predictions this weekend.....so much for my knowledge of soccer....congrats to Spain on their well deserved 1-0 World Cup win today....they were the better team and played like it....the Netherlands tried to make it a sloppy game and they also made it a rather dirty one....then tried to blame the winning goal in extra time on the failure of the linesman to call offsides on what was clearly a good goal.....the Netherlands only have themselves to blame for blowing several excellent scoring opportunities and taking too many stupid and needless fouls...it ended up costing them a man in the last 10 minutes and that proved to be the difference when a defensive lapse helped to let in the Cup winning score.....I am sure there will be massive partying all over Barcelona, Madrid and the rest of Spain tonight....enjoy!...... :clap::clap::clap:

• 4 weeks later...

USA is playing mighty Brazil in a "friendly" this coming Wednesday night at the new Meadowlands Stadium in North Jersy....should be an interesting matchup with both teams bringing in mostly their full rosters from the recent World Cup tournament....the last time these two clubs got together in the summer of 2009 at the Confederations Cup final it was an exciting game where Brazil came back from 2-0 in the 2nd half to win, 3-2....expect more of the same end to end action on Wednesday night...a sellout of 83,000+ is expected....TheEagleman also expects Brazilian fans to be occupying about 55-60,000 of those seats....so much for "home advantage"..... :P

A disappointing result for the USA last night as they gave a lackluster performance vs. Brazil in a 2-nil loss at the Meadowlands....you would think 77,000+ fans would have inspired the Yanks but no....the young Brazilians scored twice in the first half and limited the American chances all night....we probably should have been awarded a penalty early in the game when Donovan was taken down in the box but no call from the Canadian referree (yeah, i said it....Canadian????)....the guy should probably be doing hockey but not the reason the USA lost....we have a long way to go if we want to get into the top 10 in the world....need some new young talent and we will probably see a new coach in 2011...Bob Bradley has done a good job but has taken the team about as far as he can....we need more speed and scoring ability up front....Dempsey and Donovan are good in the midfield but our scorers lack the finishing touch..... :( ......next game is in October I think vs. Poland.... :geek:

My son watched the game last night and I watched part of it with him - seemed like we were chasing the Brazilians all night. They were more aggressive on offense, created more pressure on defense. From what I saw of the game the U.S. seemed decidedly outplayed.