World Cup Soccer

theeagleman5

The biggest sporting event in the world is underway today as host South Africa tied with Mexico( :P ) 1-1.....Big game for the USA tomorrow as we play top 10 England who is the favorite in our group.....the Americans could increase their chances of advancing to the knock out stage by getting a win or even a tie against the Brits....anyone have any thoughts or predictions on how this tournament will go...besides the USA, who is your favorite or least favorite teams?....TheEagleman has always pulled for Portugal and would love to see the host South Africans advance over Mexico and/or France....not a big fan of the Tri, Frenchies or the Italians...all 3 are a bunch of dirty players who love to fake injuries to get the calls....Mexico is just plain dirty....would love to see the USA advance and get a shot at any of those three teams....our 2-nil win in 2002 in the 2nd round vs. Mexico is Eagleman's favorite win of all time..... ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• vcboy2000

• ron

• ORU Eli

The US will need to hit England hard first if they want to win. Anything less could end up in a blowout. It should be a fun game to watch though. Traditionally, Brazil has been my favorite team to watch, but I love seeing the Kobe Bryant of Soccer, Christiano Ronaldo, play so I'll be rooting for Portugal as well.

Good to see that this thread has already been started. I was otherwise going to start one. I didn't know if I would be alone here though. The response to soccer on this board has generally been underwhelming. That being said: I'm a homer (my parents being German). Germany is a tournament team and flourishes under the pressure. They play as a team which can't be said about many of the top sides. The injury to their best player and captain will cost them but the team will tighten up to compensate. I look for Germany to go to the semifinals at least. Brazil always has so many individual stars that they can mess up many times and often still recover. They'll be a threat again.

I am definitely looking forward to England-USA. Only way USA wins is if they treat it like another war of independence and fight with EVERYTHING they have. USA is still outclassed on the world stage. Nevertheless, it'd be great to see USA get out of the group phase.

It was definitely surprising for South Africa to pull out a tie in the first game. That opens up that group like nobody's business. Who chokes first? Who gambles more? There could be a couple of intense games in this group yet. Based on today's play, the host team may just advance. My guess - with Mexico.

Yeah, the Germans are certainly one of the favorites...TheEagleman likes the way they play....another tie in game 2 today between Uruguay and France...so all four teams in Group A have a single point....Mexico had better beat France next week or they are in trouble....agree that USA needs to come out fighting tomorrow and the first goal will be huge...confidence is the key with the USA...if they take the lead early....look out....but if England gets a quickie....this could end up being 3-nil or something....TheEagleman would love to steal a point vs. the Brits....3 would be too much to hope for....USA! USA! USA!..... ;):clap::clap:;)

South Korea surprises Greece 2-0 and Argentina beat Nigeria 1-0 this morning in Group B....big Group C game in 2 hrs...USA-England....should be a dandy....how sweet would it be to beat the Brits today....people would be jumping off bridges all over England if the Americans duplicated their upset win of 1950 today in the Republic of South Africa....it could happen.... ;)

The worst possible start for the USA falling behind on a total defensive lapse in the 4th minute....not good....this will give the English all the confidence they need to blow us out..... :sweat::sweat:

The USA recovers on a total blunder by the English goalie, Green....we played very well in the 2nd half and earned a well deserved 1-1 draw and a crucial World Cup point....not a lot of happy Brits tonight....they thought they would walk over the Americans easily....didn't happen....TheEagleman was impressed that we rebounded after that 4th minute goal......it could have gotten ugly after that but several big saves by Tim Howard helped us pick up that point....a USA win in our next game vs. Slovenia is much needed because England will surely be motivated to pound Algeria.....USA! USA!.... :clap:

A very impressive win for the Germans this aftenoon....they totally outclassed Australia who wasn't supposed to be that bad...but they were....Germany certainly proved that they are one of the favorites to win it all....their game vs. Ghana will be very interesting...TheEagleman was also impressed with those guys from Africa....expect Ghana and Germany to advance out of Group D..... ;)

A very impressive win for the Germans this aftenoon....they totally outclassed Australia who wasn't supposed to be that bad...but they were....Germany certainly proved that they are one of the favorites to win it all....their game vs. Ghana will be very interesting...TheEagleman was also impressed with those guys from Africa....expect Ghana and Germany to advance out of Group D..... ;)

Congrats to USA for gaining the tie with England. I am not impressed by either team. Germany did well, but I will feel better if they play sovereignly against the rest of the group as well. Australia is too much of an unknown. Serbia and Ghana are both different stories. I look for much closer games, but I think Germany will come out at the top of the group.

It'll be interesting to see how Italy and Brazil do in the next couple of days.

Italy didn't look good today but managed a 1-1 tie with pesky Paraguay.....the Dutch are very strong and proved it with a 2-nil win over Denmark.....Japan surprised Cameroon 1-0.....tomorrow will be a couple of interesting matchups with in Group G which is certainly the "Group of Death"....Brazil vs. N.Korea and Portugal (an Eagleman favorite) vs. Ivory Coast.....good stuff..... ;)

Also, good news from USA Soccer that goalie Tim Howard has only bruised ribs and should be good to go on Friday vs. Slovenia.....Howard is the key to this team advancing beyond round 1....he certainly made several key saves vs. England and far outplayed that stiff in the other net.....British fans would like to hang that guy right now....the bet is almost certain that the England manager makes a switch in goal for their next game vs. Algeria..... :geek:

Also, good news from USA Soccer that goalie Tim Howard has only bruised ribs and should be good to go on Friday vs. Slovenia.....Howard is the key to this team advancing beyond round 1....he certainly made several key saves vs. England and far outplayed that stiff in the other net.....British fans would like to hang that guy right now....the bet is almost certain that the England manager makes a switch in goal for their next game vs. Algeria..... :geek:

Trouble is, when you have a guy that bad in net as your first choice, choice number two is probably not an improvement. :(

Without the help of the Danish player scoring into his own net for the first goal, Holland's game could have gone the other way. Holland still has a lot to prove. I am definitely looking forward to tomorrow's games to up the entertainment level.

TheEagleman's favorite Portugal (besides the USA) got a nice draw with powerful Ivory Coast today 0-0.....Drogba got in there late and nearly scored in injury time for IC....Portugal almost blew the point....also nice to see New Zealand grab a late 1-1 tie with Slovakia.....didn't see any of Brazil's win vs. No. Korea but the 3 pts were expected from the Group G favorites.....looking forward to Spain's debut tomorrow....I see them as the favorite to take the whole thing.... :geek:

A shocker as one of the favorites Spain goes down to Switzerland today....they are not out of yet but the Spanish have left little room for error now...they will have to beat Chile and Honduras to advance....Uruguay also made a major move whipping the host South Africans today, 3-0....Uruguay need only tie vs. Mexico and they would go on....Mexico must beat France tomorrow....the loser of that game is pretty much done....TheEagleman is no fan of the Mexicans and their overall lack of sportsmanship...the sooner they are gone....the better...... :P .....meanwhile, the USA tunes up for what is a huge match Friday vs. Slovenia.....the Slovenians are cocky as one of their midfielders guarantees a win vs. the Americans....not a smart move to motivate the USA even more....we need a win and should get it...TheEagleman will be surprised if we don't win by at least two goals.....but I will take the 3 pts no matter what the score...a win for the USA puts us in a great spot to move on....a loss just abouts eliminates the USA.....it's do or die..... ;)

Big game in the morning! If US wins, they have a great chance to make it to the round of 14.

So glad Mexico beat the French today. I think I might dislike the French more than the NY Yankees...and that's a lot.

TheEagleman dislikes the French but detests Mexico even more...oh well, maybe the USA will get a shot at them later on.... ;)