16 Regional Sites Announced!

vcboy2000

The Oklahoma media will have a field day with the Sunny playing his former school, Sunny and Rob, Sunny being Sunny, etc. angles. It should provide some good local press for ORU overall.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Bogus Smith

• tmh8286

• TrueBlue82

I love this matchup! Three big names from three BCS conferences. All tough, but none unbeatable. A bus drive away from home. Grudge match with Sunny since he refuses to play us. Oklahoma natives on ORU roster get to play against former teammates - and against a big-name school that may have spurned them on the recruiting trail. Great story angles all around!

This team likes to "play up"... Well, this weekend, they will get the chance to prove themselves. Frankly, I like our chances better than any other #4 seed - and you can't ask for more than that!

I agree with previous comments that this is a very favorable draw.

By RPI:

OU #17

NC #21

Cal #37

ORU #123 (too many Summit League losses to keep a decent RPI)

In AP Top 25

Virginia #2 (most likely winner of other regional that the OU regional winner would play in super regional)

OU #13

Mississippi #22 (2-seed in Virginia regional)

NC #34

Cal #38

These teams are beatable and we are playing our best ball of the year!!

I love this matchup! Three big names from three BCS conferences. All tough, but none unbeatable. A bus drive away from home. Grudge match with Sunny since he refuses to play us. Oklahoma natives on ORU roster get to play against former teammates - and against a big-name school that may have spurned them on the recruiting trail. Great story angles all around!

This team likes to "play up"... Well, this weekend, they will get the chance to prove themselves. Frankly, I like our chances better than any other #4 seed - and you can't ask for more than that!

Sunny isn't the holdup on scheduling. Although it works well for Sunny, we have chosen not to schedule OU for a variety of reasons. OSU doesn't schedule us because Frank isn't in a position to lose to ORU. Arkansas, WSU and MSU are good regional schools that enjoy their series with ORU. Although none of them like to lose - especially to a regional brethern - they respect the job that Rob has done at ORU.

For an ORU fan, I really like this matchup, too. It's been a long time (2003) since ORU has gone 2-and-out in a regional. I'm not expecting this regional to break that streak.

ORU may be the best #4 seed in the tournament....would love to have seen Sunny Galloway's face when he heard about the draw....he can't be pleased....it's a game he HAS to win or it will be a major embarrassment since they don't play us....when was the last time we played OU?...what was the scene at the ORU party at JLJ when the match up with OU was announced?...was anybody in attendence?.... :)

ORU may be the best #4 seed in the tournament....would love to have seen Sunny Galloway's face when he heard about the draw....he can't be pleased....it's a game he HAS to win or it will be a major embarrassment since they don't play us....when was the last time we played OU?...what was the scene at the ORU party at JLJ when the match up with OU was announced?...was anybody in attendence?.... :)

If (a big IF) we have to lose a game in this regional, it would be great to lose in the opening game, win the loser's bracket game the following morning and face OU in the elimination game on Sunday (beating them soundly to go in to the Championship game). Having won at Arkansas and Nebraska, there is satisfaction in knocking out the home team from a Tournament. It's amazing how conciliatory the home team fans become. :)8)

Baseball in a funny sport...in basketball, no way that a team with an RPI of 123 can beat three top 40 schools in a row...it wouldn't happen....but in baseball, it can and does happen....if ORU brings it's "A game" to Norman next weekend, we can definitely cause some trouble...we need our pitching to keep us in the games like this past weekend and our bats must come through....when's the last time a #4 seed made it to the CWS?....Cal-Irvine a few years back?.... ;)

I was at JLJ the last time OU came to town and it was ugly. Former players sat above the visitors dugout and gave Sonny all he could handle while he was coaching 3rd base. Lots of personal shots, etc. I lived on the baseball floor that year, and heard some interesting stories about some post-game tirade that Sonny had for Rob after getting back to Norman. They were saying Sonny was surprised because he anticipated coming back to a warm reception from the fans and players...not so.

I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice) but isn't Fresno State the only #4 seed to advance to Omaha? They did it either last year or the year before.

I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice) but isn't Fresno State the only #4 seed to advance to Omaha? They did it either last year or the year before.

Right you are, Statboy! Fresno State in 2008 WON the College World Series - the only team to win as a #4 seed. This has not gone unnoticed by our team.

Yes...TheEagleman stands corrected...it was Fresno St. and not Cal-Irvine back in 2008......would be nice to see ORU be the 2nd team to do it....won't be an easy task..... ;)

Baseball in a funny sport...in basketball, no way that a team with an RPI of 123 can beat three top 40 schools in a row...it wouldn't happen....but in baseball, it can and does happen....if ORU brings it's "A game" to Norman next weekend, we can definitely cause some trouble...we need our pitching to keep us in the games like this past weekend and our bats must come through....when's the last time a #4 seed made it to the CWS?....Cal-Irvine a few years back?.... ;)

Arizona State was chosen #1 overall - they were telling on the selection show that being chosen number one overall is a great honor, but it doesn't necessarily give a benefit to winning the championship, and they went on to tell how rarely the #1 has won - unfortunately, I was multitasking and wasn't listening close enough to quote the stat, but it was very seldom. Just shows that with baseball, maybe more than any other sports, when it comes to playing the games seeding goes right out the window.

Very true, TMH...seeding really has little to do with who will win this tournament...it's all about who's playing the best baseball in June....while the 8 national seeds are certainly the odds on favorites and they all will have home advantage in the Super Regionals if they advance next weekend...in reality, any one of about 30-35 teams have the talent and could win the whole thing......it's wide open....The top seed hasn't won the NCAA Baseball tournament since 1999 when Miami did it....if our guys play with the confidence they showed the past weekend...i wouldn't want to be OU facing them in the first round.... ;)

Guys, I have not been following ORU baseball nearly enough and I freely admit it. Nonetheless, it seems to me that this is the best thing to happen to ORU baseball since signing Rob Walton as coach. A regional in our backyard? When is the last time that happened? Everyone needs to get on a recruiting drive and get a majority of fans out to the game. Talk about cheap tickets to a very winnable event (if we play like last weekend)! Bragging rights in the state! There is so much on the line. If three other people that attended ORU at some point lived in Winnipeg and wanted to drive down, I would get a road trip together. What a splash if we win! :eagles:

I have been in the Philippines, Vietnam, and Taiwan bouncing around for the past year...so I haven't been very active on the board. I have been checking the scores and listening to live streaming from assorted airports when possible. This team truly reminds me of the Super Regional team we had back in 2006 which began the season with a pretty crappy record. That team recovered well in conference (much better than this year) and surprised quite few heading to the Supers considering that it wasn't the most talented of teams that ORU had fielded, it just seemed super confident and had the tools.

This team has the tools...the coach...and the home field intangibles to pull off something special. I'll be in the Bay Area this year, so I'll be paying very close attention to this regional. It will be super difficult...but it could happen with some good pitching.

I have been in the Philippines, Vietnam, and Taiwan bouncing around for the past year...so I haven't been very active on the board. I have been checking the scores and listening to live streaming from assorted airports when possible. This team truly reminds me of the Super Regional team we had back in 2006 which began the season with a pretty crappy record. That team recovered well in conference (much better than this year) and surprised quite few heading to the Supers considering that it wasn't the most talented of teams that ORU had fielded, it just seemed super confident and had the tools.

This team has the tools...the coach...and the home field intangibles to pull off something special. I'll be in the Bay Area this year, so I'll be paying very close attention to this regional. It will be super difficult...but it could happen with some good pitching.

Great to have you back, Sisko. Sounds like you've had your share of oriental food over the last year!!

Although you bring up some good points, this team has struggled with its pitching all year long. In 2006, the team was filled with quality pitching - Chris Ashman was the Pitcher of the Year, Chance Chapman (drafted by the pros) and Sean Jarrett was our closer (now playing in Tulsa for the Rockies' AA team).

We don't have any draftable pitchers this year, but our pitching has improved over the season. Bryce Smolen has done well recently, Dallas Beeler is responding after Tommy John surgery and Seth Furmanek does as well offensively when he pitches. There are a number of pitchers that are also contributors like Spencer Roberts, Dan Martony, Jeff Burleson and Jared Schlehuber, but only in certain circumstances. I don't think Rob is opposed to pitching by committee if he thinks it will get the desired results.

I don't know that we will win without some stellar pitching performances this weekend. If they play beyond their capabilities, we can make our way to the next level.

Sunny isn't the holdup on scheduling. Although it works well for Sunny, we have chosen not to schedule OU for a variety of reasons.

Bogus, I've seen you post that same sentiment before, and I must admit you are the ONLY person I have ever heard express it in such a way.

For what reason(s) would Rob Walton not want to play OU?

If it's because we simply can't get Sunny to agree to where/when/how often, and we choose not to just let them dictate terms, then it really falls back on Sunny, doesn't it?