SDSU vs. ORU Championship Game

theeagleman5

great weekend. We have a lot of momentum going into the regionals next weekend!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

• ManiacAlum

Around the 6th inning or so SDSU loaded the bases with no outs and we walked in a run for them. We were able to get a strikeout and then a pop-fly in medium left field was the 2nd out. The SDSU player tagged and the outfielder made an absolutely perfect throw directly to the catcher to get the 3rd out on a bang-bang play. It happened so fast it was hard to know for sure if he was safe or out but it appeared to me that the tag hit the player before he touched the base even though he was near the base, I don't think he actually touched it until right after he was tagged. This completely killed the SDSU momentum which was definitely building. It was an amazing play that you rarely see.

That play WAS fun to watch. It was a great catch-and-throw, but it was (in my opinion) because of the catcher that the play ended successfully. Pickar caught the ball and moved his glove at the same time, using his throwing hand to protect the ball in his mitt as he applied the tag. Certainly a text book way of making the tag. If Pickar had not been moving his body with the catch, the SDSU guy slides in safe. Pickar's mom and dad were all smiles after that play. Pickar's play is getting better and he should be quality for us for the next two seasons.

Congrats, best of luck in the NCAAs.

Thanks, 89rabbit. Appreciate your sportsmanship. Hard to go on your opponents board with congrats and well-wishes after a tough loss (believe me, I know from personal experience), and I appreciate your effort and your thoughtfulness. You represent your university well.

Around the 6th inning or so SDSU loaded the bases with no outs and we walked in a run for them. We were able to get a strikeout and then a pop-fly in medium left field was the 2nd out. The SDSU player tagged and the outfielder made an absolutely perfect throw directly to the catcher to get the 3rd out on a bang-bang play.

That was Chris Elder with that throw from left field, Jason, and that, along with the two HR's he hit in Friday's game caused Geoff to predict that he might earn Tournament MVP honors - I haven't seen who was selected for that, but Elder definitely was in the running.

That got me thinking - did anyone see any of the conference brass around the tournament this weekend? Maybe I didn't recognize them, but I didn't see anyone that appeared to be representing the head office at any of the games.

You're right, Jason - the tagout at home was the dagger in the heart of the jacks. Their fans were very animated with the bases loaded, and you could feel the momentum turning. One catch and an incredible throw later, and the momentum shifted back for good. The key to this game was not the 12 runs of offense, but the excellent pitching by Burleson and Beeler, and a defensive error-free effort.

This team showed a lot of heart this weekend - and I think they will be very loose heading into the regionals. This team is very capable of doing some real damage next weekend.

Hats off to SDSU, too. They played very well - and I thought Coach Price did the right thing by bringing their closer to the mound early in the game. The strategy worked well for awhile, but ORU proved itself to be just too strong today. All Golden Eagle fans should be very proud of this team's performance this weekend! They did all the little things (and some BIG things) right!

Great post, Blue. It was great seeing you at the game today!! Wish I could have been there till the end. Hope you guys have a safe trip home!

That was Chris Elder with that throw from left field, Jason, and that, along with the two HR's he hit in Friday's game caused Geoff to predict that he might earn Tournament MVP honors - I haven't seen who was selected for that, but Elder definitely was in the running.

Chris Elder was named tournament MVP and it is certainly well deserved.

Where was this kid Elder all season?....TheEagleman doesn't remember his name being mentioned very much....he sure had a huge weekend for ORU at the perfect time!... :clap:

Where was this kid Elder all season?....TheEagleman doesn't remember his name being mentioned very much....he sure had a huge weekend for ORU at the perfect time!... :clap:

Elder has been solid all season, Eagleman. He may have had his best games of the season this weekend, but he's done his part all year.

Elder did have a remarkable series. He was deserving of his MVP award. Interestingly, he was replaced defensively in the 9th by Tyler Garewal. The first SDSU batter promptly hits a deep fly to the wall in left-center field and Garewal gets on his horse and runs down the ball over his right shoulder just before hitting the wall. Garewal is a very good defensive fielder and I don't know that Elder would get to that ball. Regardless, the game was out of reach and it wouldn't have mattered; however, it shows how good and deep our outfield position is with Baligod, Winiecki, Elder, Mejia, Garewal, Barbosa and Mitchell.

Next season, we keep Baligod, Winiecki, Elder and Mejia (along with Sowers, Schlehuber, Wong, Barth and Pickar in the infield). We have a good nucleus to build on for next season.

My - O - My!

Seems like Old times! What a Team! I'm a FAN forever! Can't wait for the regionals! Great Job!

WE ARE...... O-R

WE ARE......O-R

ORU - TRUE BLUE!

Irish

My - O - My!

Seems like Old times! What a Team! I'm a FAN forever! Can't wait for the regionals! Great Job!

WE ARE...... O-R

WE ARE......O-R

ORU - TRUE BLUE!

Irish

It's great to have you along for the ride, Irish!! So glad that you've stayed True Blue even though Jerry's association with ORU as a player is over (he will always be a part of the ORU family, of course ;) ). Sure glad you're still a fan!!

Elder did have a remarkable series. He was deserving of his MVP award. Interestingly, he was replaced defensively in the 9th by Tyler Garewal. The first SDSU batter promptly hits a deep fly to the wall in left-center field and Garewal gets on his horse and runs down the ball over his right shoulder just before hitting the wall. Garewal is a very good defensive fielder and I don't know that Elder would get to that ball. Regardless, the game was out of reach and it wouldn't have mattered; however, it shows how good and deep our outfield position is with Baligod, Winiecki, Elder, Mejia, Garewal, Barbosa and Mitchell.

Next season, we keep Baligod, Winiecki, Elder and Mejia (along with Sowers, Schlehuber, Wong, Barth and Pickar in the infield). We have a good nucleus to build on for next season.

Only one season with Sallie?? Man, has he been a joy to watch this season . . . :(

Loved this team's attitude this weekend, and look forward to regionals.

Congrats to Elder for MVP honors, according to the SDSU announcer on Friday his Grand Slam was an absolute bomb.

By the way, shoutout to Garewal... he got a pinch-hit single against Centenary that set up an insurance run for ORU on friday. Still playing hard even though not starting

Great weekend for ORU with the huge baseball sweep to the Summit title beating the best pitcher in the league from Centenary and then pounding #1 seed SDSU twice....shows a lot of character....TheEagleman is ready for the NCAA Selection show at 12:30EDT tomorrow afternoon on ESPN!.... :clap:

TheEagleman is watching NFL network tonight and they are profiling the Tulsa Union vs. Jenks rivalry in football....the Jenks WR in this game is Dallas Beeler......I assume it's the ORU pitcher?.....game must have been from a few years ago....went into OT and Union won 43-42....great stuff!.... ;)

TheEagleman is watching NFL network tonight and they are profiling the Tulsa Union vs. Jenks rivalry in football....the Jenks WR in this game is Dallas Beeler......I assume it's the ORU pitcher?.....game must have been from a few years ago....went into OT and Union won 43-42....great stuff!.... ;)

One and the same, Eagleman. Beeler was a two sport athlete at Jenks, something that is pretty rare in this area these days. Most kids work year round refining their skills for a single sport. Gives you some idea about the kind of athlete that Dallas is.

One and the same, Eagleman. Beeler was a two sport athlete at Jenks, something that is pretty rare in this area these days. Most kids work year round refining their skills for a single sport. Gives you some idea about the kind of athlete that Dallas is.

Dallas was actually the second string quarterback on the Jenks High School football team, but played WR so that he could get more playing time. The starting quarterback for Jenks was a kid named Mark Ginther, who had committed to play baseball at Oklahoma State as a junior and didn't waver from that commitment even after being courted by many major league teams with a top 10 draft spot (and some significant money) coming out of high school. Ginther was a studious kid and wanted to go to college. He told the pros not to draft him and the Phillies finally took him on a chance in the 46th Round, but Ginther held true to his OSU commitment and is their starting SS and leading the team in most offensive/defensive categories. Jenks had a lot of athletes from the football team that year.

Too bad Ginther didn't sign with the Phillies....we might need a good SS when Jimmy Rollins' contract expires after the 2011 season.... :!: