Summit League Tournament - Day 2

Old Titan

I was told by someone on the way out last night that (in a move that almost backfired) SDSU saved their #1 pitcher for today.

Wonder if we would have done the same, if only we knew who our #1 pitcher was? :P

Regardless, does anyone know who our starting pitcher is for the 3:00 game? Rob mentioned at the coaches luncheon that he was considering throwing a bunch of guys an inning or two, if the situation warranted such.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUTerry

• ORUTex

• Otis 83

Top Posters In This Topic

We sure got our money's worth from Smolen yesterday.... 147 pitches and a full game with only five hits and one earned run. We need another similar performance today. And it would be nice for our bats to come alive.

We sure got our money's worth from Smolen yesterday.... 147 pitches and a full game with only five hits and one earned run. We need another similar performance today. And it would be nice for our bats to come alive.

That was a really good pitcher we beat last night - just needed a couple of timely hits to have knocked him out earlier. That lefty reliever could bring it, too. Centenary has some nice arms on their team - hard throwers.

Yes, it was a very nice win. Let's hope our bats are timely today and we get to SDSU's bullpen early.

I was told by someone on the way out last night that (in a move that almost backfired) SDSU saved their #1 pitcher for today.

The Tulsa World said that too, but I don't think it's right. The TW article says "The Jackrabbits survived Oakland 6-5, but held back pitching ace Trever Vermeulen for Friday's semifinals." But Vermeulen is their closer, who didn't start a game all year, and in fact pitched in the 9th and 10th yesterday. The guy they started, Blake Treinen, was the only Jackrabbit starting pitcher on the all-Summit first team, and is very clearly their best starter. http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88394&SPID=7140&DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=204951563

The Tulsa World said that too, but I don't think it's right. The TW article says "The Jackrabbits survived Oakland 6-5, but held back pitching ace Trever Vermeulen for Friday's semifinals." But Vermeulen is their closer, who didn't start a game all year, and in fact pitched in the 9th and 10th yesterday. The guy they started, Blake Treinen, was the only Jackrabbit starting pitcher on the all-Summit first team, and is very clearly their best starter. http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88394&SPID=7140&DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=204951563

Blake Treinen didn't pitch vs. OU. Jared Koch, SDSU's #3 starter did. Also didn't use the #1 mid relief pitcher. Yes, Vermeulen pitched for 1-2/3 innings (9th & 10th). So ORU is likely to see Treinen today.

I stand corrected.... I knew Treinen is their ace and assumed he pitched yesterday.

Blake Treinen didn't pitch vs. OU. Jared Koch, SDSU's #3 starter did. Also didn't use the #1 mid relief pitcher. Yes, Vermeulen pitched for 1-2/3 innings (9th & 10th). So ORU is likely to see Treinen today.

It won't matter. ORU won't lose at home, with all that is at stake.

Oakland beats Centenary, 7 to 2 and will play the loser of the ORU vs. SDSU game. I am a bit surprised - I thought the Gents would beat the Grizzlies. Oakland has played strong for two games in the tournament.

Eagles lead 7-2 after three. Furmanek pitching effectively and Chris Elder with a grand slam in the first. Nice start, but this is a Jacks team that has made comeback wins an art-form.

My bad - I thought I saw a box score that listed Treinen yesterday. As it turns out, I'm glad they saved him for today.

Now 11-4, still in the 4th. I think it might be time for "the #1 mid relief pitcher."

Just getting tuned in on this. I've been working this afternoon if you can believe it. Anyone got a source for live updates? Indulge me, I haven't tried to find anything on my own yet.