Trever Vermeulen

tmh8286

I get a chuckle out of this since I saw firsthand you guys reaction this year in hoops when you beat New Mexico. Heck, you guys relive your win over Kansas ten years ago on a monthly basis around here.

Post season? You men's team has won how many post season games in 50 years? 2? 3? Zero in the NCAA Tourney. Your baseball team has been to the CWS once...32 years ago. But don't let that stop you from puffing out your chest when the new (D1) kid on the block shows up. I understand. There isn't anywhere else where you guys are taken seriously. You're a very, very distant #4 in your own city and state. I understand the self-esteem issues. Little man syndrome. And what probably really annoys you guys is that the new kid (SDSU) in just our 2nd year of eligibility, are already equal to you guys. Men's basketball, women's basketball and baseball....equal. Oh, and we have this top-20 Division One football program who made the playoffs. A team who draws more to one game than you guys do in 8 years total in baseball. That tips the scale in the direction of the great white north. As one person already said on here...that's just being honest dude.

:up:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SDSUJacks

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• TrueBlue82

Had a sales call with an NAIA athletic department administrator today who, while discussing ORU's tournament championship win this past weekend, was stunned to learn SDSU's baseball field had no lights, no power, no bathrooms, and no press box.

"Wow," he said, shaking his head as he looked out the window at his own baseball field. "I can't believe a Division One school would host games in a facility like that. We wouldn't."

We couldn't believe it either, sir... :shake:

Post season? You men's team has won how many post season games in 50 years? 2? 3? Zero in the NCAA Tourney. Your baseball team has been to the CWS once...32 years ago. But don't let that stop you from puffing out your chest when the new (D1) kid on the block shows up. I understand. There isn't anywhere else where you guys are taken seriously. You're a very, very distant #4 in your own city and state. I understand the self-esteem issues. Little man syndrome. And what probably really annoys you guys is that the new kid (SDSU) in just our 2nd year of eligibility, are already equal to you guys. Men's basketball, women's basketball and baseball....equal.

Clinical definition of clueless: beginning a thought by screaming, "YOU'RE NOTHING!!", then closing it by screaming, "BUT WE'RE YOUR EQUAL!!" :rofl:

You would be surprised how many kids SDSU has sent to the NFL. Five kids alone off last years team will be in NFL camps this year.

I wouldn't be surprised, because I looked it up and the answer is 6. Was surprised to see that Adam Vinatieri was a Jackrabbit. I don't care about kids getting sent to NFL camps. I could go try out at an NFL camp if I wanted to, but what's the point?

Jenks can beat an FCS playoff school that lost to a Big Ten school in the closing minutes? That put up 50+ on the #1 FCS school? Gotcha.

These types of comparison's always fascinate me. "we lost to someone at the buzzer or just ran out of time, then that team goes on to beat the #1 team in the country, which means we should at least be #2 and maybe #1 because we didn't play at home" or whatever....The fact remains is that FCS is to football what the collegeinsider.com postseason basketball tournament is to basketball. Noone really cares. I'm sure there are 17,000 people who go to the games every week, because, let's be honest, what else is there to do?

Yes, Jacks...we do still talk about beating KU (which was only 4 years ago) AT Allen Fieldhouse. And we will continue to talk about being the first team to beat New Mexico last year, and beating Missouri, Stanford, Oklahoma State and the list goes on and on in basketball. And we will continue to talk about beating #7 Texas (at Texas), Wichita State, Baylor, Arkansas, Cal , Texas Tech, Nebraska and the list goes on and on in baseball. And you know why??? Because we CAN!! We actually played these teams and WON. Didn't almost win, didn't run out of time, or lose in the closing seconds, we scheduled, we played and we won. And we'll keep on doing it.

So go beat Delaware this year, because I think they go on to play Towson in November. Then you can come back to OUR message board and say, "hey we beat Delaware, who just lost to Towson in the closing seconds. Towson is the #1 ranked Division 8 Sub-FCS program in the Northeast."

:yawn: ORU has much bigger crimson-colored fish to fry this weekend, and I literally know nothing about I-AA football

Sorry for the error, Jacks....so you were with the entire family for the Memorial Day holiday?....that's nice....must have been a lot of cases of Old Milwaukee slammed down at that party...... :P:rofl::P:rofl:

I think we all owe a deep apology to Trever Vermeulen for high-jacking his thread and turning it into a bad beer commercial. :talk:

With all due respect to Trever, I hope he gets a chance to show his stuff in the "show". After seeing him pitch his heart out this weekend, I'm glad he is a senior and will not be around to keep the Jacks competitive in late innings next season. I think he is a VERY formidable closer, when limited to an inning (or two) of work. The only times he was "roughed up" this season was when he was asked to do more than a closer should.

FCS attendance dwarfs college baseball. SDSU is 17th in FCS attendance at nerly 14k a game. The top team in baseball last year drew 9,611. SDSU in nearly double that of the 3rd highest drawing baseball program.

The 16 team FCS football playoffs, shown on the ESPN family, do quite well on TV. The baseball stuff doesn't get good numbers until it gets to Omaha.

I would put Little League World Series ratings above the CWS.

Jacks,

I admire your passion about SDSU and FCS Football (capitalized to show respect). However, here is where your argument breaks down:

1. You equate game attendance with national significance. (I bolded the main points in my post with the main points in your rebuttal to illustrate that point)

2. You continue to argue college baseball in general, when I specifically made a case for the College World Series. (Also noted in bold in my original post and your first response)

3. When you discuss FCS Football Playoffs presence in the mainstream national media like ESPN (which is what I mean by national significance and not local attendance), you concede that Omaha (The College World Series) also does well. Which is closer to the point I was making in my argument.

Even if ORU had an FCS Football program, I would hold the ability to compete for a NCAA D-1 National Title in Baseball over the ability to compete for a FCS Football Championship not because I like baseball more than football, but because winning a NCAA National Title means you competed at the highest level for that sport and won. If ORU had a NCAA D-1 Hockey program, but competed in NCAA D-2 or D-3 Baseball, I would say the opportunity to win the D-1 Hockey title holds more weight than the D-3 baseball title because we did it against the best college hockey programs in the country.

Marshall's

Wow, Tulsa has a micro-brew and it isn't 3.2! Things have really picked up in T-Town since I was hanging out at The Cain's Ballroom back in the day.

I'll have to look for that when I'm back next February.

Think globally, drink locally.

Sorry Trever.

I think we all owe a deep apology to Trever Vermeulen for high-jacking his thread and turning it into a bad beer commercial. :talk:

With all due respect to Trever, I hope he gets a chance to show his stuff in the "show". After seeing him pitch his heart out this weekend, I'm glad he is a senior and will not be around to keep the Jacks competitive in late innings next season. I think he is a VERY formidable closer, when limited to an inning (or two) of work. The only times he was "roughed up" this season was when he was asked to do more than a closer should.

Both Trevor and Blake, Jacks two best pitchers, are juniors. So, barring a good draft choice or injury, they'll be back. Much of the offensive firepower will be back for the Jacks baseball next year.

Good success at the Regionals ORU, represent the Summit well. Better luck than the last Summit team tasked to knock off OU in Norman.

Both Trevor and Blake, Jacks two best pitchers, are juniors. So, barring a good draft choice or injury, they'll be back. Much of the offensive firepower will be back for the Jacks baseball next year.

Early bold prediction: ORU wins at least 3 games vs. SDSU in Tulsa next season - with Trevor or not - while returning to form in conference play.

No more than 4 Summit League losses overall next year. 8)

Good success at the Regionals ORU, represent the Summit well. Better luck than the last Summit team tasked to knock off OU in Norman.

Thanks, rabidrabbit. Appreciate the well-wishes. SDSU has a good baseball team, and will no doubt be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. I think the ORU faithful have much respect for your coaches and players. I disagree, though, with your assertion on the SDSU board the the tournament needs to be removed from Tulsa. Weather, facilities - and LIGHTS - make J. L. Johnson Stadium the best venue for the tournament in the conference. They've tried moving it, first to Centenary, then to Western Illinois, but both times it's ended up back in Tulsa.

Of course, you guys have next year to prove me wrong! ;)

Had a sales call with an NAIA athletic department administrator today who, while discussing ORU's tournament championship win this past weekend, was stunned to learn SDSU's baseball field had no lights, no power, no bathrooms, and no press box.

"Wow," he said, shaking his head as he looked out the window at his own baseball field. "I can't believe a Division One school would host games in a facility like that. We wouldn't."

We couldn't believe it either, sir... :shake:

Again....we have football. Football is king. We just dropped 6mil to build the Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center. Football offices, meeting rooms, suites, booster area, locker room, weight room, etc. 6mil would do alot toward our baseball field. But since we're a northern school who hosts very few games and cares very little about baseball our facility will never be impressive. Funding a football program takes huge money. Plans are in the works for all the athletic facilities ut the football stadium is set for a huge overhaul. It's going to be a 25,000 seat facility w/ new pressbox, suites, etc.

That got a chukle out of me, seriously. But I said we're better b/c we have football. You guys have a thread dreaming of what your football uni's would look like. Thank You now.