Summit scores

Parker228

ORU down 4-1 vs. NDSU today in the 3rd....not a good time for our first loss of the year at home.... :worried: ......but it's still early....9 innings today.... ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• ManiacAlum

• theeagleman5

• TrueBlue82

24-9?....geez...SDSU might surpass that 34 run game we had vs. IPFW a couple weeks ago.....wonder if any pitchers are left for the nightcap?... :geek:

ndsu 8-3 over Oru top of 8th oru has left 14 players on base. sdsu down 4-0 early against wiu in 7inning game

Pretty bad game by the good guys today. We had some stupid errors today - 7 in all, but really 8 (they didn't count one on Colby Price in the second inning that got him an early seat on the bench). We left 14 (when I lost count) players on base; half of those in the first three innings. We lost Jameson Dunn for the rest of the season as he attempted to make a play on a ball back to the box and his knee gave way (very bad scene). It was sad to see Jamer go down on Senior Day as he was pitching pretty well after he came into the ball game (plus we can't afford to lose pitchers this season). We were glad to see Dunn come out on crutches with the rest of the seniors to be presented with his jersey. With the wind blowing briskly from RF to LF, we continued to get the ball up in the air for long, easy outs. Baligod hit two balls to the RF track that would have been out of the yard in most situations. Same for Furmanek in left-center.

To give NDSU their due credit, they did all the right things. They didn't have any errors, their defense made the plays when it counted and their pitching got the ball in play (few, if any, walks). You can't win games with seven errors and untimely hitting.

This will be an interesting Tournament for us - one in which we are coming in as an underdog for the first time. Our 36-1 tournament record is threatening to take us to three losses, but I still believe that this team can put three or four games together to get to the Regionals. They tend to be focused when there is a big game and it won't be hard for Rob to get his guys' attention this week. The pitchers did well for three games in the NDSU series and I believe that even with the loss of Dunn, that there is enough firepower if the defense is there.

Jacks - Necks tied in middle of 6th. Vermeulen keeps his 0 ERA intact in first inning of relief. Not used in game one today.

Jacks unearned run take 1 run lead to 7th and potentially final inning. Necks would need to solve the unsolvable to get the win.

Necks score 4 runs off of Vermeulen in the 7th (WOW!) - but can't hold the lead - and the last game of the Summit season goes to extra innings tied at 14.

LOL....that's hilarious....TheEagleman hopes they play for about two more days....maybe a 65 inning marathon....can't believe that SDSU thru that kid out there again today after he went 3+ innings yesterday....no wonder MLB teams prefer to draft HS kids..... |(

Necks score 4 runs off of Vermeulen in the 7th (WOW!) - but can't hold the lead - and the last game of the Summit season goes to extra innings tied at 14.

real pitchers dual

L-Necks hold on for 15-14 win.

The regular season streak is still alive (even if undeserved).

Now, let's EARN the tourney streak next week!

Pretty bad game by the good guys today. We had some stupid errors today - 7 in all, but really 8 (they didn't count one on Colby Price in the second inning that got him an early seat on the bench). We left 14 (when I lost count) players on base; half of those in the first three innings. We lost Jameson Dunn for the rest of the season as he attempted to make a play on a ball back to the box and his knee gave way (very bad scene). It was sad to see Jamer go down on Senior Day as he was pitching pretty well after he came into the ball game (plus we can't afford to lose pitchers this season). We were glad to see Dunn come out on crutches with the rest of the seniors to be presented with his jersey. With the wind blowing briskly from RF to LF, we continued to get the ball up in the air for long, easy outs. Baligod hit two balls to the RF track that would have been out of the yard in most situations. Same for Furmanek in left-center.

To give NDSU their due credit, they did all the right things. They didn't have any errors, their defense made the plays when it counted and their pitching got the ball in play (few, if any, walks). You can't win games with seven errors and untimely hitting.

This will be an interesting Tournament for us - one in which we are coming in as an underdog for the first time. Our 36-1 tournament record is threatening to take us to three losses, but I still believe that this team can put three or four games together to get to the Regionals. They tend to be focused when there is a big game and it won't be hard for Rob to get his guys' attention this week. The pitchers did well for three games in the NDSU series and I believe that even with the loss of Dunn, that there is enough firepower if the defense is there.

FWIW, Bogus, Geoff said the error was due to injury, and Price was lifted because he was hurt. Whether or not that was TRULY the situation, I don't know, but that was the info that was given to Geoff. We would have been watching all subs today if they were pulled because of errors . . . |(

We don't get score updates from the SDSU folks if it's a loss? :P

Well, ORU stumbles backward into a share of another regular season championship with 9 losses. With SDSU playing another home game in which both teams score in the double digits and Centenary losing at IPFW with their ace Whiting starting, it makes me wonder how all of this plays out at JLJ next week.

Just trying to find some silver lining, but it's hard to be confident when you finish off the regular season at home like we did

We don't get score updates from the SDSU folks if it's a loss? :P

Interesting observation, Alum!! :lol:

FWIW, Bogus, Geoff said the error was due to injury, and Price was lifted because he was hurt. Whether or not that was TRULY the situation, I don't know, but that was the info that was given to Geoff. We would have been watching all subs today if they were pulled because of errors . . . |(

If his miscue was due to an injury, then I stand corrected. He didn't go out until between innings, so it's possible that the injury wasn't discovered until the half-inning was over. I have to believe that the information Geoff got was more official than the appearance of how things played out from the stands.

TheEagleman still has to believe that the home field advantage still makes ORU the favorite in the tournament next week....of course, we need to get better pitching and defense than we got today or that Centenary ace could be the difference maker.....obviously, our first game is the key....if ORU wins Thursday night, I think it's a good bet that we will be watching the NCAA Selection show on Memorial Day morning.... ;)

Interesting observation, Alum!! :lol:

LOL - I was thinking the same thing. Biggest bunch of self-serving, front-running fans I've ever seen. They only time they come on here is to rub salt in the wound by "innocently" gloating about their so-called achievements. Can't recall any of them ever posting much - if anything - that doesn't somehow concern their own team/school/state/etc. superiority, either for the moment, or in a general sense.

They sad thing is that, years from now when ORU is still winning championships in baseball while they're still trying to raise money for bathrooms and a press box, people will look back and say, "Oh, look: South Dakota State was good enough one year to actually tie ORU for the conference regular season title." The record may even show that they went on to win the Summit League tournament in Tulsa this season, though I'm curious to see how they perform outside of Brookings in a pressure situation.

But what people won't realize, and what history should never forget, is that SDSU hardly raised itself to ORU's usual level of excellence in baseball this year. At 19-9 in conference play, the Golden Eagles merely fell back to the pack for a brief moment in time, and got caught by a mediocre team in what has been an overall nightmarish season.