• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• ManiacAlum

• theeagleman5

• TrueBlue82

TheEagleman still has to believe that the home field advantage still makes ORU the favorite in the tournament next week....of course, we need to get better pitching and defense than we got today or that Centenary ace could be the difference maker.....obviously, our first game is the key....if ORU wins Thursday night, I think it's a good bet that we will be watching the NCAA Selection show on Memorial Day morning.... ;)

Couldn't agree more, Eagleman. I think that we're all disappointed with our team's results due to the level that we're used to playing - from the fans to coaches to players. Never has a regular season baseball championship been won in the Mid-Con/Summit with more than 8 losses (1994). This is a season of fultility and we have raised the level of everyone else's baseball program due to a rebuilding year at ORU. Next year may be a "rebuilding year" as well.

I still like our chances in the Tournament due to our home field advantage. The game with Centenary, and whether we can get to Whiting, will determine the result of that game. We need to work the pitch count, work the tempo of the game and disrupt Whiting's rythym and have timely hits. If we play the way that we can (and should) and the weather cooperates, I still think that we have the tools to win the Tournament. Each of the teams we could play (Centenary, South Dakota State and Oakland) have at least one pitcher that can handle our hitters, but only SDSU has the offense that can handle our pitchers. I think it will end up being ORU and SDSU in the game on Saturday - it's only a matter of who has to win two on Saturday to play the following weekend.

Excellent synopsis, Bogus....this should be the most competitive Summit League tournament in years....anything could happen....TheEagleman would just hate to see another team celebrating on our diamond.... :worried:

We don't get score updates from the SDSU folks if it's a loss? :P

Well, ORU stumbles backward into a share of another regular season championship with 9 losses. With SDSU playing another home game in which both teams score in the double digits and Centenary losing at IPFW with their ace Whiting starting, it makes me wonder how all of this plays out at JLJ next week.

Just trying to find some silver lining, but it's hard to be confident when you finish off the regular season at home like we did

Sorry, I went to the Goo Goo Dolls concert last night so I couldn't update you. Congrats on joining us as Summit League Co-champions. I will be traveling for work on Thursday and Friday but may try and zip down to Tulsa for Saturday's game (s).

LOL - I was thinking the same thing. Biggest bunch of self-serving, front-running fans I've ever seen. They only time they come on here is to rub salt in the wound by "innocently" gloating about their so-called achievements. Can't recall any of them ever posting much - if anything - that doesn't somehow concern their own team/school/state/etc. superiority, either for the moment, or in a general sense.

They sad thing is that, years from now when ORU is still winning championships in baseball while they're still trying to raise money for bathrooms and a press box, people will look back and say, "Oh, look: South Dakota State was good enough one year to actually tie ORU for the conference regular season title." The record may even show that they went on to win the Summit League tournament in Tulsa this season, though I'm curious to see how they perform outside of Brookings in a pressure situation.

But what people won't realize, and what history should never forget, is that SDSU hardly raised itself to ORU's usual level of excellence in baseball this year. At 19-9 in conference play, the Golden Eagles merely fell back to the pack for a brief moment in time, and got caught by a mediocre team in what has been an overall nightmarish season.

Hey OT, could you pass me some grapes? . . . . Oh never mind it looks like they are very sour. Good luck to you and your Eagles at the Tourney.

The Goo Goo Dolls?.... :P

It is definitely a bizarro world that I have entered to not see ORU as the #1 seed in the Summit League tournament. I agree that SDSU will be the biggest challenge in this tournament and that ORU and SDSU will probably be the last 2 standing. However, I don't agree that this year's SDSU team is mediocre. They are 36-19 (a better record than ORU) and while they didn't play many top 25 teams like we did, they did get wins against several legitimate teams.

I do agree that their ability to tie us for the Summit League title occurs in one of their best years and one of our worst years. It is actually good for the Summit League to have 3 decent teams that can somewhat hold their own in non-conference games. It doesn't seem that we have had that in past years. I doubt that SDSU will be able to keep up this year's success on a regular basis but it does set up an interesting tournament. I give Centenary a lot of credit for holding together a good team even though they are headed for D-3 in 13 months. Their showing this year has been impressive given those circumstances, much like WIU's ability to fight and claw for a win in their last game of the year yesterday.

The Goo Goo Dolls?.... :P

They're playing a free show in Philadelphia on the fourth of July, Eagleman. Maybe you and the Mrs. can take it in.... 8);)

I give Centenary a lot of credit for holding together a good team even though they are headed for D-3 in 13 months. Their showing this year has been impressive given those circumstances, much like WIU's ability to fight and claw for a win in their last game of the year yesterday.

I agree that Centenary has done well this year. It's good to see that they are a participant in this year's Tournament and a definite threat to beat a team or two this coming weekend. As a matter of fact, it's possible that they could be coming into Saturday's game from the Winner's bracket if their pitching holds true. Should that happen, I would be betting for the Loser's Bracket team (if I was a bettin' man) as I don't think Centenary is deep in pitching.

That being said, as impressive as Centenary is this year, they will be equally pathetic next year as they transition to D-III. It will be pretty hard for them to recruit the necessary talent to compete at the D-I (and even Summit League) level. If they make the Summit League Tournament in 2011, I will be very surprised.

HAHA!...I think I will pass, Bogus....they must be playing at the Museum of Art for the big Philly 4th of July celebration....TheEagleman is not a big fan of the Dolls...now maybe when they have Crosby, Stills and Nash....I will head down there and fight the crowds.... ;)

Hey OT, could you pass me some grapes? . . . . Oh never mind it looks like they are very sour. Good luck to you and your Eagles at the Tourney.

Another of my favorites from Nerdic Nation: the old "Dis-and-Kiss". Verrrry fresh. |(

The Goo Goo Dolls? Was this concert taking place somewhere in the early 90s?

The Goo Goo Dolls? Was this concert taking place somewhere in the early 90s?

Yep, and the they were showing The Breakfast Club at The Bijou down on Main Street. After the cartoon they rolled out Lethal Weapon II. All the best entertainment comes to the Dakotas.

......that's pathetic....just shoot me..... |(

I have posted more about ORU and the Summit League on here than all ORU fans have combined on our board.

I have never came on here and gloated....not when we beat you in SuFu last year, or in Brookings or when the women won the chip or in baseball.

As for the rest....I'll just say, we have FOOTBALL. 13,000+ show up show up for home games to watch our top 15 FCS playoff team play. Baseball is small potatoes.

oh boy....now the gloves are off.... |(

I have posted more about ORU and the Summit League on here than all ORU fans have combined on our board.

I have never came on here and gloated....not when we beat you in SuFu last year, or in Brookings or when the women won the chip or in baseball.

As for the rest....I'll just say, we have FOOTBALL. 13,000+ show up show up for home games to watch our top 15 FCS playoff team play. Baseball is small potatoes.

Funny how that works out. We don't care enough to show up on your board. Yet you continuously feel the need to prove self-worth on ours.

Thank you for your continued obsession with ORU Athletics.